Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Ingles Markets Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Somewhat flexible schedule, depending on manager (in 23 reviews)

• Offers part time work to those who are willing to give a fair days work for a fair days pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be full time for ten years to get more than two weeks vacation (in 27 reviews)

• Low pay and constantly expecting more work (in 22 reviews)

1. "Bakery clerk"

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management (in-store, District, and the CEO) is great. They are caring people who will work with you. I am praised for great customer service and when I do an exceptional job for a specific task. Management makes me feel like I am worth something, and my pay reflects that as well.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is no employee discount.

2. "deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

short driving distance to work

Cons

No benefits. Management on all levels lie continually. New hires, hire in at a higher pay rate than employees that have been there three years. Absolute no way to advance out of the deli. Even when other departments ask for you.

Advice to Management

Quit lying to employees when in involves money issues. Treat employees with some since of respect. I know you think we are beneath you, but most of us have had higher level jobs in past and some of us have even been managers.

3. "Ingles Advantage? A legacy of abuse."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

After working for a while, I get an opportunity of interact with customers who I sincerely care about and look forward to seeing.

Cons

Absolute TERRIBLE managerial styles. The "higher ups" act as such. Cashiers (as myself) are treated horribly as if we are tiny little ants with 0 purpose or worth. The way we are talked to should never be acceptable in ANY work place regardless of the job. Favoritism is a huge part of this company, if you are able to make it in the "in crowd" expect to be treated like royalty. If you show one single piece of opposition to their blatant disrespect towards employees you will receive very low hours and disrespect from others.

This company prides itself on tradition , and old "southern values", in which include hospitality, fast and friendly service and most importantly CARE. None of these principles apply once you are on pay roll. The management treats all employees with such distasteful wording. Its a very patronizing environment and is absolutely miserable to try and voice concerns. I am writing this as a current employee in search of another company who values their employees, and NEVER resorts to retaliatory behavior that affects the lives of those who are on payroll. I truly am very appalled that I have been with this company for 6 months and the behavior has not changed but gotten worse. I amongst others are never treated as human beings, but more as mindless drones who have no platform to voice concerns on this maltreatment. I pray that this company changes their MO but since they pride themselves on "Tradition" The legacy of abuse continues as it has for such a long time.

Advice to Management

As an intelligient woman like myself, I would recommed the most simple and basic word. Respect. You can be in the industry for a zillion years and still not posses such a basic human trait. Professionalism. If you are in a position of leadership, do you think it is ok to yell, and talk about (more like defame) other employees WHILE that employee is in their presence? I dont think so. Work Climate. The air in every ingles store is heavy, do you know why? BECAUSE WE WORKERS ARE INFURIATED. How can we be excited to work for a company who subjects their employees to continual verbal abuse to coerce us into mindless obedience. Not only is it right, its borderline tyrannical .

4. "Deli worker"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is Above minimum wage, other deli associates nice

Cons

Bad management, understaffed night shift, really terrible manager in deli. Covering other jobs because people call out.

Advice to Management

Talk to employees like they are people, do not demand anything ask.

5. "Check out customers give change bag items check id for alcohol and tobacco"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Morganton, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Morganton, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my customers and the people i work with

Cons

Not getting enough hours to pay bills

Advice to Management

I have a family to take care of i need atleast 25 hours a week

"It can be good."

Current Employee - Associate in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is there. Hard work is usually rewarded.

Cons

Low pay and constantly expecting more work. Favoritism is a problem. Management is constantly changing within the departments and stores.

Advice to Management

There are people in management that should not be there. They are protected by higher ups and it makes it difficult for average employees to respect them.

7. "Good Company if you work hard."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Mostly friendly customers. Willing to work with my schedule. Associates are very friendly and are willing to always help. Hard work is recognized and my department head, merchandiser, and store manager always tell me how appreciated I am.

Cons

The only thing I can say is to hold people more accountable for their actions. Sometimes they can be to easy-going. Pay should be higher.

Advice to Management

Stop letting certain employees take advantage of you. You are doing a great job and don't let criticism upset you.

8. "Ok job to get you through college"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

The only pros are the ease of scheduling and getting to talk to co-workers

Cons

Management is predominantely males. They take advantage of their employees and pay the bare minimum. Work at publix if you can.

9. "Night Stocker"

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time

Pros

Good pay good hours no layoff

Cons

Feet hurt back hurts no employee discount

10. "Not the best"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Consistent hours at the high end of part time work, mostly reasonable customers, coworkers are typically friendly and willing to provide rides to/from work if needed

Cons

Management unwilling to flex for reasonable accommodations per ADA unless employee is persistent (water at work station), constant need for more people meant more hours/week than initially indicated, high stress position with minimum legally allowable breaks, attendance policy requires doctor's note for every call-in, management does not enforce food safety policies regarding call-ins for the big three symptoms

Advice to Management

Read up on federal laws governing reasonable accommodation, hire a small set of workers with lower weekly hours and flexible schedules to cover call-ins for illness and family emergency, be up front about hours needed with potential hires.