Ingram Content Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingram Content Group President and CEO Shawn Morin
Shawn Morin

Pros
  • This company is great in how it supports its associates through employment with competitive wages and good benefits (time off as well as insurance) (in 22 reviews)

• True definition of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay was not always the best and upper management did not care for the creative people (in 10 reviews)

• work/life balance is nonexistent during holidays (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GOOD COMPANY TO EXPERIENCE GROWTH"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist

I worked at Ingram Content Group full-time

Pros

I have been working with Ingram Content Group since April of this year. I have enjoyed my experience with them thus far. I enjoy the work experience and the people with whom I collaborate with each day. I haven't been with them for long but I can already tell the potential available for growth in the business as well as the industry.

Cons

You don't get very many holiday days including on major holidays...

Advice to Management

Please add more holiday time. This is taking away from the few moments that we have to spend with our families.

2. "Excellent workteam"

Former Employee - Chute Packer/Inventory Management in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Chute Packer/Inventory Management in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Content Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always giving you opportunities to build up your career

Cons

Higher production with very limited time is required

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but try and reduce the workload

3. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Supervisor Senior Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor Senior Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Ingram Content Group about 3 years ago. I was hesitant to make a change as I'd been with my former employer for over 10 years. Making this change has been one of the best decisions that I've ever made - both professional and personally. Not only do I have amazing co-workers, my management team is wonderful. They are very supportive. I've learned in the past few years that Ingram Content Group wants each of their associates to know that they are valued. Before joining Ingram Content Group, I felt like going to work was such a chore. I enjoy coming to the office now. I like the work that I am doing and the environment.

Cons

If you have a good work ethic (keeping in mind that the work/life balance has been good for me) and you desire to work for a company that always keeps you on your toes - there are not any cons. You'll find that there is opportunity for growth when you apply yourself and give 100% to your duties.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "Compensation is low, relaxed environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are amazing--everyone has different interests and is very open minded. The culture is very relaxed. The company has a great reputation. Technologically savvy.

Cons

Compensation is terrible. Raises are minimal and end of year bonuses are very little. Communication is not a strength of the company, especially cross-departmentally. They are not very invested in your career development, and there is not many opportunities for promotions--your growth is stifled. They would prefer to keep you in your same position even though you have grown out of it.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and give them the compensation and opportunities they deserve.

"Competitive Compensation & Benefits, Falls Short Everywhere Else"

Former Employee - IT Staff Member in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - IT Staff Member in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Content Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Benefits Are Great, Best I've Seen In Regards To Cost Per Paycheck
    * Salary is Very Competitive to Nashville Market
    * Select Few Employees Are Valuable, Which Helps
    * Casual Dress

Cons

* Note You're Working for Ingram Content, Not The Parent Company Ingram Industries. Ingram Content is By Far The Most Stressful.
    * Pressured by HR to write a positive review
    * On-call is BRUTAL.
    * Favoritism, Unless You're Buddy-Buddy, Be Prepared to Be Frowned Upon/Talked About Behind Your Back
    * Micromanaged Like Crazy
    * Some Members Across Various IT Teams Are Worthless. How are they still at Ingram?
    * Your Input Means Nothing, It's Their Way or the Highway Except By Select Few Employees
    * Management Constantly Has Blinders On & Second-Guessed On Everything
    * Antiquated Processes/Procedures.
    * So-Called Standardization Varies Depending on Business Unit
    * Frugal Spending Leads to Wasted Money/Solutions That Could Have Been Implemented Right the First Time
    * Advancement Opportunities Extremely Limited

Advice to Management

Hopefully Deanna will set you guys straight and on the right path (as well as weed out the bad management). Shawn has only been President/CEO for a little while, so hopefully he'll do better in regards to the overall business than what John did. Time after time, the processes & procedures have never changed and people have come and gone.

Realize that the people you hire are people you are supposed to trust to do the work. Quit bickering & fighting over minuscule details. The "our way or the highway" approach drains you.

7. "Nice Place to work, Potential to be Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some of the most knowledgeable and talented people in their respective fields on staff, a caring (for the most part) and committed management team, and have a well respected name in the field.
    -Known for ethics, stability, and involvement in the community, the Ingram's have created a strong player in the book industry.
    -Most people want to be innovative and strive to make a difference.
    -Decent commute from most areas of town.
    -Really strong benefits and PTO.
    -Not a huge political arena.
    -Lots of positive transformation in the field in general. Lots of areas of the businesses overlap or have transferable skill sets, so many people bounce around in the company and learn other areas of the business.
    -Lots of the latest and greatest technical tools to aid in work efforts.
    -GREAT place for introverts

Cons

-Tendency to create long term workarounds or customizations for every external client or internal client group.
    -Long and mid term goals, as well as forecasting aren't clear as a lot of time is spent in reaction/firefighting mode vs. strategy.
    -Budgets can be really tight.
    -Raises/Promotions can be hard to come by depending on how the group you're in is viewed at the moment.
    -Politics aren't terrible, but they do exist.
    -Stuck at the mid size company level
    -Decision making can seem reactionary vs. strategic

Advice to Management

For Leadership: Be more visible, communicate and interact with your whole staff, not just your peer groups
    For Management: Keep doing what your doing. Many many strong middle managers and directors on staff who give great effort, provide buffers, and do their best to interpret communication from leadership into actionable efforts.

8. "Great Company - Great Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Corporate Position in La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Position in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid benefits, 401k, etc. Successful and privately own. Bonus structure pays out with a great track record. Ingram provides opportunities to grow and train in your career field. Been here 4+ years and very happy to be part of a family oriented company.

Cons

To be a bit more competitive in the market, it would be better to add more holidays to the overall time off or increase days off during some main holidays to a couple instead of just one.

Advice to Management

Continue to make work life balance a main goal. Providing work from home options for the right situations/positions would be productive.

"Antiquated"

Former Employee - Customer Service in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Difficult to get fired unless you're late or absent, ever.
    Little to no true accountability so you can get away with a lot and not worry about consequences.
    If you make it into leadership, you are above the law.
    If you want a job where you know that you are replaceable and should expect to just be happy you have a job at all, you'll be the best employee they've ever seen.
    HR does a great job of protecting the company from it's employees, including fabricating policy, building a burning man medical process and keeping everything important for associates to access under very tight and shady lock and key.
    Management is great at lip servicing, you will truly feel like they care until you do literally anything wrong, including going to the bathroom for a minute too long.
    Love to hear about your great ideas, but only if it makes them money (which you receive 0 credit or reward for).

Cons

HR likes to motivate AND threaten people to leave positive reviews on here and other sites. "It would be in your best career interest to clearly and honestly reflect on the positive environmemt we have here, and we'd like you to be able to continue enjoying it."
    Low to median pay at best.
    Limited room for advancement, but lots of demotion and lateral opportunities.
    If you don't have a degree, good luck ever being trusted with anything more than the most mundane tasks.
    Benefits are on par with market, but almost every single day you get an email about how amazingly above and beyond they are.
    Limited leave and holidays, plus if you happen to be late and/or absent 5 times with no time to cover it, you are fired.
    Management doesn't listen to feedback and suggestions from the people who do the job and handle the issues caused by their poor decisions and planning.
    9/10 issues can be prevented with just a bit of strategic thinking, which is in short supply but nobody wants to try to develop anything to fix it.
    Break fix pushed environment, but somehow it is the fault of the agents handling the calls and never the fault of managers and executives who sit back and count errors and money.
    Snail speed implementation and development of literally everything from email migrations to setting up a new agent in the most basic systems.
    Onboarding for customers is the best kept secret since Jimmy Hoffas grave, everyone knows it exists but nobody knows how to find it. Seems a bit counterproductive for a business to not want more business.
    Major lip service by management, they talk all the corporate talk but rarely follow through.
    When challenged or questioned, suddenly management decides that everything you have ever done wrong in the past 3 years is now a coachable offense and decides to start documenting it all at once, and HR ENCOURAGES them to do so and get rid of the original thinkers. New ideas = bad for big company with small raise budgets.

Advice to Management

Physically connect with the people you are "managing". You like to tell us all how much we are appreciated and valued, but then you have every excuse in the book as to why we aren't being compensated accordingly and how the reason we cannot move up is because, despite having record profitability as well as record workload per capita, it is somehow not in the budget.
    How can anyone be expected to give their all to you when you give back 1 or 2% of what you feel to be "fair". I honestly hope that there is a sudden and major crisis in your workforce that will shake you awake from your complacent and predatory daydream where everyone is replaceable except for management and their friends.
    Break the good ole boy system and try not being so casually corrupt and hypocritical.

10. "Keeps Getting Better"

Current Employee - Corporate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company continues to evolve and stay current/relevant. Family values, work life balance, ping pong, books, benefits, but most of all - the people I work with are the best!

Cons

Being located in LaVergne - but at least it is against traffic during rush hour from most parts of the Nashville area.

Advice to Management

Don't get caught up in all the details and let your leaders lead.

"Working At Ingram"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ingram Content Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really love working for Ingram Content Group. The people are great, pay is competitive, my department has flex hours, and the benefits package is one of the best around. We also have other perks; discounts on books & movie tickets, dvd rental, wellness center, author events, opportunities for learning and development, among other things. Commute to LaVergne is so much better than driving to downtown Nashville.

Cons

I can honestly say I have no complaints. I've been here 6 months and have been treated fairly and respectfully.