Ingredion Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingredion Chairman, President, and CEO Ilene S. Gordon
Ilene S. Gordon

Pros
Cons
  • Work to hard no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is uninterested and far removed from the workers (in 9 reviews)

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Westchester, IL

I worked at Ingredion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many positive things to say about the direction that management is taking this company.

Cons

Old Stodgy management. CEO is exterminating anyone with knowledge and background in the business. Borders on discrimination if you are not 35 or younger.

Advice to Management

Stop the extermination and favoritism.

"Degrees only"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Ingredion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of anything positive

Cons

Upper management is uninterested and far removed from the workers.

Advice to Management

Turnover would improve if you would treat ALL employees as your most valuable asset, not just a select few.

"Be Careful What You Are Getting Into"

Former Employee - Finance in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Finance in Westchester, IL

I worked at Ingredion full-time

Pros

Ingredion has a great location by 94 and 290. Ingredion pays a much higher bonus structure than most other companies in the same industrial and has far better benefits (pension) in a company this big. Finance team has great top leadership team.

Cons

If you are a butt kisser and gossip queen, you will fit in right away. If not, be careful because you might work yourself to death but not being fairly treated just because you are not one of their favs. Mid management level are small group friends from long time ago and they would do everything to cover each other's back. NA is an environment that lacks trust, reasonableness, appreciation, respect, or professionalism. People get promoted only when their peers quit not because they do a good job. It is always deadly quiet and depressing as people are constantly scared of being screwed.

Advice to Management

Don't be fooled by the prosperity ...

"Human Resources Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Ingredion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing, hard working people, that really appreciate a HR business partnership.

Cons

A company and management team that does not change and grow with the times, that is very stuck in "National Starch" ways, and is unwilling to evolve. They expect you to work long hours, and expect you to work on time off. They have no boundaries of a work life balance and micro manage all expectations. They play favorites as stated by senior management, "Nothing is higher than a Chem-E" or Chemical Engineer, and if you aren't a chemical engineer, then they think less of you.

Advice to Management

Remember that you are making modified starches, not saving lives. Learn to enjoy life a bit, and if someone doesn't have a PhD it is okay...

5. "sensory"

Former Contractor - Sensory Panelist in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Contractor - Sensory Panelist in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Ingredion as a contractor

Pros

use to be nice 15 hour a week job. most panelist should be there, but there are those who are there for money only and dont really try the foods given to us.lately it is going down hill. was nice to get extra hours and most staff are/were nice.

Cons

was there for 5 years, in on times, stayed to do extra work, did anything i was asked. went out on medical(without panel leader getting the full story), ok to come back and they added an obvious lie which changed to another lie, and i get laid off. never late, no marks against me, 5 years in opposed to 8 months for new hires, and i get laid off. atrium(staffing agency) did nothing. never got full answer or cause for lay off. sensory panel is a bunch of secrets, whispering, lies, favortism,backstabbing. who you know. it was nice while it lasted. for me, i was told is was a head count, but would you not keep a seasoned panelist or a greenhorn?

Advice to Management

not all you are told is truth. stop being 2 faced. don't make up stories you cant back up.

"Technologist-level"

Current Employee - Principal Technologist in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Technologist in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Ingredion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people, though not everyone.
    Job security.
    Relatively easy work -- if that's what you're seeking.

Cons

Poor management.
    There is a minority of people who are incredibly petty.
    Aiming to innovate, but lacking innovation.
    Budget cuts and the really underwhelming benefits that come because of them.

Advice to Management

You need to value individuals, their creativity, and their opinions. Too much insulation and saturation in the upper ranks -- some people really don't belong there, and it makes it difficult for the people who are truly qualified to actually reach these positions.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager Technical in Westchester, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Technical in Westchester, IL

I have been working at Ingredion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay and benefits. Solid business and leader in their industry. Can move around in the company but the workload will take its toll on you

Cons

Workload is very stressful. 1 person usually doing the job of 5 in other companies. Good place to work if you have no family and are a workaholic. If your willing to sacrifice family time, then you will be happy.

Advice to Management

Try to decentralize operations as there are not enough corporate resources to handle all operations across the globe. Consider hiring more employees to handle the extreme amount of work and daily tasks.

"Great financials, weak managers"

Current Employee - Manager in Westchester, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Westchester, IL

I have been working at Ingredion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Financially strong, industry leader.
    401k program features dollar for dollar match on first 6% of salary AND a 3% corp contribution
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Company runs a little too lean in nearly every area, so employees work long hours and have a lot of conflicting priorities. Work/life balance is tough. Executive leadership is cold and manages from a distance - they're out of touch with employees and with modern management practices and policies. Benefits are OK, not leading edge or differentiating. Telecommuting or work from home is a rarity and not supported by executive leadership.

Advice to Management

If you want to be an innovative company, you need to have innovative management practices and appropriate staffing so that people have time to create.

"Production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Ingredion (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. People can be nice and work/social activities are available. If you like to move about for you career opportunities exist.

Cons

Can be cliquish. Only company I have ever worked for that allowed close personal friends to supervise one another. If you aren't willing to move production opportunities get very limited.

"You Are Worth More Than Ingredion Will Let You Think..."

Former Employee - Dry Starch Operations Supervisor in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Dry Starch Operations Supervisor in North Kansas City, MO

Pros

Pay was very competitive and the benefits were above average from a salary perspective. The health benefits were great. This is why I am giving it a two star and not a one star.

Cons

Now, I'm speaking from a Supervisor's perspective and own personal experiences. I had to work every holiday (including Thanksgiving and Christmas) every year I worked at Ingredion (~4 years). When I asked for time off off, I was told I needed to figure out how to cover my position for the plant to run. Meanwhile, all other salary positions did not have to work on these days.

After National Starch and Corn Products merged, there were internal struggles with long time National Starch and Corn Products employees. This lead to upper management disagreements that had direct impact on front-line. These disagreements caused management to not take ownership of their departments and delegate blame to front line. So, overall, the management teams on the factory level were very poor.

There were double standards, and it was noticeable. If you were liked by upper management in the factory, positions opened up for you that didn't for others. Opportunities to advance were there for you. However, if you were not in upper managements good graces you were not considered for any positions or advancement. This was apparent through all levels of the organization. If you were liked by one of the VPs, or you were hand picked, you had plenty of opportunities. If not, tough, continue to work harder and be happy you have a job.

As read in other reviews, the lack of work/life balance is terrible from a Front-Line perspective. While my wife had health problems, I was treated very poorly. I was told I needed to find coverage even though management team members were available. It was very poor taste. I have worked for multiple corporations, the best ones understand these types of issues and manage them accordingly. I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true, Ingredion does not care about you as a person. Ingredion only cares about you if you can show up to work every day, work your behind off for 14+ hours without ever being thanked, and then never getting sick.

In my short time in the corporate world, Ingredion is the worst company I have ever worked for. I would not recommend anyone work for them. Good news is with Ingredion's recent acquisitions, the NKC plant will probably close within the next two years of this post.

Advice to Management

Realize that continuing to treat your employees poorly will catch up to you. Vendors and Customers are already beginning to hear about how poorly you treat your employees from those who have left. Start treating all employees like humans and eliminate double standards within the organization.

One of the happiest days of my professional life was putting in my two week notice with Ingredion. I truly mean that. You need to figure out how to make the people on the front lines feel important instead of worthless.