Inn At Little Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 21, 2017

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "You will give more than you get but you will learn a lot"

Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can be a fun atmosphere; laughter and joy is encouraged. smiling is mandatory.
    guests are the best part of working there, guest satisfaction is very high, Guests will love you and will be happy to see you when they come back.
    It's a beautiful property, in fact, too beautiful (see cons below)
    Most of the people are hard workers and very nice. Not cliquish or mean. Very sweet people. Some employees have been there a long time showing great dedication and an example to follow:
    Cameron--a sweet man to work with; he is the cheese guy and tea expert
    Landry--a nice guy who has been there a long time
    Scott--bartender--nice guy and been there a while. very easy to work with.
    Syed--didn't know him well because he works during the day but he's been there a long time
    Chris--Ringleader--nice guy and very knowledgeable about the place; fun and funny.
    Neil--been there the longest. We called him "Coach" super guy.
    Michael--good, younger worker and helpful when in a pinch. the next generation and talented
    Patrick--a gifted man, very insightful, can be very fun and funny. He can be inspiring and charming. he is a perfectionist and he will try to help you look better, stand up straight, walk smoothly and learn to smile. He may also tell you what you don't want to hear about yourself but that can be a good thing. He likes to give beauty and fashion tips. (hey, helped me).
    You will learn a lot that can help you build your career as long as you don't stay too long. After a year you should move on. If you work hard and are talented you can become their hero. They will flatter you and make you feel great about what you do when they are desperate.
    Note: Before you are hired tell them about a vacation time you already have planned. They honor that but after you are there it is not so easy get off.
    tell them you plan to move to the area. A friend that I recommended didn't get hired because he didn't want to move there.

Cons

You will be required to work all holidays including Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and every other holiday without holiday pay (it's just a regular work day for them). The owner lives on the property and he is there a lot (when he isn't traveling around the world). So he wants you to make it your life too.
    You are in the middle of nowhere. You will have to move because commuting from the DC area will take you 1.5-2 hours each way. I tried for a while but had to move closer; just too far to commute. I left my house at 12:30 and got home at 2 am most nights.
    There can be some very long hours. If it is not busy you will not make much money that night but you will still work a full day. They don't let you close down until all the guests have left and they tell the guests that they don't close at any specific time. They tell them to just relax and enjoy themselves, so sometimes you just have to sit and wait to do final shut down.
    If you make a mistake the chef might yell at you and make you feel stupid. He is getting older and might lose his cool every once in a while. It doesn't happen every day but I have seen it happen.
    you pay for your own vacation. they take money out of the tip pool and set it aside for your next vacation year. If you leave before that time they will not give you your money that you put in. Other former employees have told me the same thing happened to them when they left.
    they don't show much care about employees unless they are in a crisis. The most important people are the guests and they will always place the customer first.
    They usually don't have enough staff because they can't keep them long enough. It gets old trying to train the new kids especially when you can be overwhelmed yourself. they don't have a formal training program so you are expected to learn by asking questions on your own. The more senior employees there are the easier it is to learn, but over the past while most of the senior people are leaving for some reason.
    they want to be the best but when it comes to benefits they only want to be average.
    January through March is very slow and your wages will drop by 30-50% during those times. My paychecks sometimes decreased by as much as $1,000 in the slow months so you have to save money. I just stopped going out for beers and that helped! Summer time can be slower too.
    You can't take vacation days during the Spring or the Fall, from Thanksgiving through the New Year.
    You pay for your own vacation--they take 3% out of your wages. If you leave before the end of the year you don't get that back. they give it to the other employees.
    They invest in the property, not employees. They spent millions on improvements and renovations and give lots of food away to make guests happy but only gave me a $50 bonus at Christmas time and only care about you when they have a need. i know that sounds ungrateful but they give $50 worth of champagne to strangers each night but little more than a pat on the back. I was there several years and unless you are one of the managers or threatening to quit you are not appreciated very much.
    The chef is getting older (I think 73) and when he is suddenly no longer around, the place will crumble. That is why you should just use it as an opportunity to advance your career. they will respect you more for it if you tell them that. "Hey, I am only going to work here for a year or so." Then, they will treat you better because they will not want to lose you, especially if you are really good.
    When i celebrated a milestone anniversary (5 years) the top dogs did not congratulate me. But a guy who left after 2 years was honored. They don't appreciate you unless it is beneficial to them. That is why I left. Too much sacrifice and not nearly enough gratitude.

Advice to Management

create a training program like Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. They do it best.
    offer better benefits that are similar to the best work places (like Marriott)
    Make it a goal to be voted one of the best places to work in Virginia
    Recognize loyal employees. There are not that many so doing so wouldn't be hard.

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, VA

Pros

What a great honor it is to work with some of the most talented men and women in the industry.

Cons

I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about the people or culture here.

"Captain"

Former Employee - Captain in Purcellville, VA
    Former Employee - Captain in Purcellville, VA

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great wine list, great reputation, good colleagues.

Cons

Low employee appreciation, low employee trust. Unfair pay scale. Commute was torture.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with each employee. reconsider pay scale

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Floral in Washington, VA
    Former Employee - Floral in Washington, VA

I worked at Inn At Little Washington part-time

Pros

Quick drive from home. The area is nice and quiet. The pay was decent.

Cons

Management. No one seemed to understand policies and proper workplace communication.

Advice to Management

Review with management how to talk to their employees. Reinforce proper/improper interactions with co workers and employees.

"Underpaid, overworked, and treated unfairly."

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Washington, VA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Washington, VA

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice venue, nice landscape. Uniforms are being provided.

Cons

Low pay. Unorganized management. Unfair treatment. Always internal drama; on an almost daily basis.

Advice to Management

If you treated your staff better, you would not have a such a big turn-over, and in turn you wouldn't have to harp down on new employees that are being trained. Respect people. At a hotel where the lowest room rate is $800/night, you'd think you could pay the housekeepers more than $9/10 an hour, and not force them to turn in their tipps.. If you changed your ways of how you look at and treat your employees, people wouldn't use the hotel as a temporary job that they hold just long enough until they find a better one.
    During the busy season, you could hire more temporary staff instead of asking way too much of the staff you do have.

"An amazing experience and a chance to be involved with one of the best restuarants in the world."

Former Employee - Morning Cook in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Morning Cook in Washington, DC

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment at The Inn is one of complete dedication and perfection. Every aspect of the day is centered on the guest's experience. If you are willing to learn, then they are willing to teach you. All you have to do is ask to be a part of something and they will, usually, make an effort to make you a part of it. The truly dedicated individuals stand out and receive praise on their merits. The Sous chefs and line cooks are all very friendly and communicable but will knuckle down and be all about business in the heat of a dinner rush. The Executive Chef/Owner is extremely passionate about the food and the guests he is unveiling it to. He has been quoted as referring to the dinner service as a "theater" where his staff are the performers and it is their goal to put on the best show ever.

Cons

There is little room for mistake, if any. This is a Five Star restaurant and a Five Diamond hotel and is a member of the Relais et Chateaux group. Everyone who works there needs to be at the top of their game or risk losing their position. It is a very demanding arena and nothing but the best is demanded from each team member. This is not for the faint of heart. There is a bit of low level hazing but just do your job to the standards of the establishment and you'll do fine. The paygrade was not terrible but it was not fantastic either. If you're coming in as a low

Advice to Management

Upper management seems to have a fairly decent hold on the situation in the kitchen. The only thing that I found to be somewhat discouraging was the hazing that went on when I first arrived. It is to be expected no matter where you go but at times the conversations that were had were on the verge of rediculous.

"Low appreciation and high turnover rate."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a part of the Inn's grand legacy and reputation.
    Mentored by Chef Patrick O'Connell.
    Personal growth in public speaking and handling the issues/concerns of guests with grace.

Cons

Extremely understaffed. Employees are stretched very thin, and there is a very high turnover rate.
    Very limited schedule flexibility. I barely received time off for my best friend's wedding, despite giving a six month notice.
    Low employee appreciation. The blame game is ubiquitous.
    Management is not transparent with the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff. Provide incentives for dedicated workers to stay, and be more transparent with the pay scale.