Inn At Little Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Patrick O Connell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cast Member"

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very exciting atmosphere, fun work environment. No boring days as the Inn is always evolving and change is the norm. Chance to work with the top talent in the industry and learn from the best.

Cons

24 hour operation. 5 star/5 diamond requirements can be stressful but very rewarding. A lot is expected out of each and every employee. As another review mentioned, the Pros way outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep cultivating from within. There is a great team in place and so much talent.

"One of the Managers"

Current Employee - A Manager in Washington, VA
    Current Employee - A Manager in Washington, VA

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working environment, reputation, coworkers, dedication, details, making people happy, family fellow staff feeling, smiles, fun, theatrics, skills, camaraderie, opportunities for advancement, collaborative work environment, future, some staff has been here 5,10 and 29 years.

Cons

Sometimes it seems overwhelming with the work details but is rewarding if you embrace it and have fun. The pros outweigh any cons. The negative reviews on this site are from people that should never been here and did not blend into the culture. this is one of the greatest team of people i have ever been associated with.

Advice to Management

We want to listen to the team and continue to make it better. A 40 year history of business certainly is a good sign. If you are reading this you are considering joining our team I suggest you come interview and take the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

"Review of kitchen operations"

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington full-time

Pros

Beautiful kitchen, great staff and co-workers. Everyone at the Inn works exceptionally hard but knows how to laugh and find humor even while maintaining focus and creating memories for the guests.

Cons

Things sometimes get zany and can push you to continue to evolve as a team and individual. Sometimes embracing change is tough and can be difficult.

Also, sometimes the layers of systems put in place can be frustrating to work around and get in the way of productivity.

Advice to Management

Continue to support all members of the team to push themselves and the organization towards future successes and continue to make the Inn an amazing place to work and be a part of!

4. "Join us and get ready for the ride of a lifetime!"

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington full-time

Pros

The Inn filled with wall-to-wall dedication and heart. We are all cast members to a wonderful vision. We invite friends in each night to be transported to a rare once in a lifetime experience. We get to change lives here. It is a very special place. I'm very lucky to be a part of it.

Cons

This is a 24/7 operation. If you love it, it get into your bones and become your life. Balance and boundaries lose meaning.

Advice to Management

Being the best comes naturally when led by a man of true vision. Saying that Chef O'Connell is one of a kind doesn't cover it. The Inn is a masterpiece. Don't ever change!

5. "No diversity"

Former Employee - Housekeeper
    Former Employee - Housekeeper

I worked at Inn At Little Washington part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other hourly workers are very nice, as are most managers. Lunch is provided everyday, which is nice. Most jobs wear a uniform, which makes it easy to get ready everyday.

Cons

No diversity. I've heard horror stories about the top managers firing people for being old, ugly, fat, etc. There is no value placed on experience. They'd take dumb and pretty over old and experienced any day.

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse employees. Start hiring people with experience.

"Beautiful facility"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Washington, VA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Washington, VA

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great facility. High standards, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. People are friendly, location is good. Food provided for lunch/ dinner which is a nice perk.

Cons

Pay isn't great, hours are long, communication between hr and departments is rough . Turn over is small so there's always new people, very few people have been there in certain dept s for a year.

Advice to Management

Told hr working weekends every once in a while was fine but dept didn't get that memo and they wanted me for weekends too which unfortunately didn't work with my schedule. If it'd been every so often fine but that wasn't an option

7. "You will give more than you get but you will learn a lot"

Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can be a fun atmosphere; laughter and joy is encouraged. smiling is mandatory.
    guests are the best part of working there, guest satisfaction is very high, Guests will love you and will be happy to see you when they come back.
    It's a beautiful property, in fact, too beautiful (see cons below)
    Most of the people are hard workers and very nice. Not cliquish or mean. Very sweet people. Some employees have been there a long time showing great dedication and an example to follow:
    Cameron--a sweet man to work with; he is the cheese guy and tea expert
    Landry--a nice guy who has been there a long time
    Scott--bartender--nice guy and been there a while. very easy to work with.
    Syed--didn't know him well because he works during the day but he's been there a long time
    Chris--Ringleader--nice guy and very knowledgeable about the place; fun and funny.
    Neil--been there the longest. We called him "Coach" super guy.
    Michael--good, younger worker and helpful when in a pinch. the next generation and talented
    Patrick--a gifted man, very insightful, can be very fun and funny. He can be inspiring and charming. he is a perfectionist and he will try to help you look better, stand up straight, walk smoothly and learn to smile. He may also tell you what you don't want to hear about yourself but that can be a good thing. He likes to give beauty and fashion tips. (hey, helped me).
    You will learn a lot that can help you build your career as long as you don't stay too long. After a year you should move on. If you work hard and are talented you can become their hero. They will flatter you and make you feel great about what you do when they are desperate.
    Note: Before you are hired tell them about a vacation time you already have planned. They honor that but after you are there it is not so easy get off.
    tell them you plan to move to the area. A friend that I recommended didn't get hired because he didn't want to move there.

Cons

You will be required to work all holidays including Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and every other holiday without holiday pay (it's just a regular work day for them). The owner lives on the property and he is there a lot (when he isn't traveling around the world). So he wants you to make it your life too.
    You are in the middle of nowhere. You will have to move because commuting from the DC area will take you 1.5-2 hours each way. I tried for a while but had to move closer; just too far to commute. I left my house at 12:30 and got home at 2 am most nights.
    There can be some very long hours. If it is not busy you will not make much money that night but you will still work a full day. They don't let you close down until all the guests have left and they tell the guests that they don't close at any specific time. They tell them to just relax and enjoy themselves, so sometimes you just have to sit and wait to do final shut down.
    If you make a mistake the chef might yell at you and make you feel stupid. He is getting older and might lose his cool every once in a while. It doesn't happen every day but I have seen it happen.
    you pay for your own vacation. they take money out of the tip pool and set it aside for your next vacation year. If you leave before that time they will not give you your money that you put in. Other former employees have told me the same thing happened to them when they left.
    they don't show much care about employees unless they are in a crisis. The most important people are the guests and they will always place the customer first.
    They usually don't have enough staff because they can't keep them long enough. It gets old trying to train the new kids especially when you can be overwhelmed yourself. they don't have a formal training program so you are expected to learn by asking questions on your own. The more senior employees there are the easier it is to learn, but over the past while most of the senior people are leaving for some reason.
    they want to be the best but when it comes to benefits they only want to be average.
    January through March is very slow and your wages will drop by 30-50% during those times. My paychecks sometimes decreased by as much as $1,000 in the slow months so you have to save money. I just stopped going out for beers and that helped! Summer time can be slower too.
    You can't take vacation days during the Spring or the Fall, from Thanksgiving through the New Year.
    You pay for your own vacation--they take 3% out of your wages. If you leave before the end of the year you don't get that back. they give it to the other employees.
    They invest in the property, not employees. They spent millions on improvements and renovations and give lots of food away to make guests happy but only gave me a $50 bonus at Christmas time and only care about you when they have a need. i know that sounds ungrateful but they give $50 worth of champagne to strangers each night but little more than a pat on the back. I was there several years and unless you are one of the managers or threatening to quit you are not appreciated very much.
    The chef is getting older (I think 73) and when he is suddenly no longer around, the place will crumble. That is why you should just use it as an opportunity to advance your career. they will respect you more for it if you tell them that. "Hey, I am only going to work here for a year or so." Then, they will treat you better because they will not want to lose you, especially if you are really good.
    When i celebrated a milestone anniversary (5 years) the top dogs did not congratulate me. But a guy who left after 2 years was honored. They don't appreciate you unless it is beneficial to them. That is why I left. Too much sacrifice and not nearly enough gratitude.

Advice to Management

create a training program like Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. They do it best.
    offer better benefits that are similar to the best work places (like Marriott)
    Make it a goal to be voted one of the best places to work in Virginia
    Recognize loyal employees. There are not that many so doing so wouldn't be hard.

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, VA

Pros

What a great honor it is to work with some of the most talented men and women in the industry.

Cons

I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about the people or culture here.

"Low appreciation and high turnover rate."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Inn At Little Washington (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a part of the Inn's grand legacy and reputation.
    Mentored by Chef Patrick O'Connell.
    Personal growth in public speaking and handling the issues/concerns of guests with grace.

Cons

Extremely understaffed. Employees are stretched very thin, and there is a very high turnover rate.
    Very limited schedule flexibility. I barely received time off for my best friend's wedding, despite giving a six month notice.
    Low employee appreciation. The blame game is ubiquitous.
    Management is not transparent with the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff. Provide incentives for dedicated workers to stay, and be more transparent with the pay scale.

"Captain"

Former Employee - Captain in Purcellville, VA
    Former Employee - Captain in Purcellville, VA

I worked at Inn At Little Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great wine list, great reputation, good colleagues.

Cons

Low employee appreciation, low employee trust. Unfair pay scale. Commute was torture.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with each employee. reconsider pay scale