InnerWorkings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
InnerWorkings Eric D. Belcher
Eric D. Belcher

Pros
Cons
  • little room for growth for an individual looking to grow within a company (in 5 reviews)

• poor upper management and it seemed like everyone was only out for themselves (in 6 reviews)

"A good place where you can grow"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I enjoy working at InnerWorkings because I feel like I manage my own career path. In my role, I work with several clients on a variety of projects. I enjoy the variety of my job and when there is something I am unsure of, there are enough people with a wide-range of experience that are willing to help me better understand a project. My co-workers are a friendly and easy group to get along with and make the environment here enjoyable.

Moreover, I feel like I can talk to my manager about not only projects, but other work-related issues and there is a genuine effort to try to change the obstacle/problem in order to improve work life. If I don’t receive the response I am looking for from my manager, the management team has an open door policy and I often see people of all different levels within the organization poking their head into an executive’s office to ask questions or make suggestions.

I feel like this is truly a place I can grow because they are always willing to let me try my hand at more complicated projects. Also, when I feel like I am overloaded with work, they pull in other people to help me out.

In a nutshell, I like my job and the flexibility it offers me, I like the people I work with including the leadership of the company, and I like that I learn something new everyday.

Cons

Currently we share part of our space with another company. It is annoying to share our lunchroom space. I believe the other company is moving out soon, so it will be nice to get our space back.

I agree with some of the other reviews that InnerWorkings is a bit unstructured, but I also see this as a “pro” because management is open to employee suggestions as to how things should be done.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the work environment positive. Employees like the happy hours and mini contests we have to engage everyone in the office and even inter-office competitions.

Also, continue to have the all-employee meetings quarterly and maybe find another avenue to communicate with employees more frequently (I liked that the CEO stopped by my desk on my birthday to wish me a Happy Birthday and ask how things were going for me).

Keep up the good work!

"InnerWorkings- A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

InnerWorkings is a great place to work. They are growing and there is much opportunity for career growth. There is an accessible management team and they are open to hear your ideas.

Cons

The only major downside to working at InnerWorkings's corporate location in Chicago is the lack of nearby lunch places. This has been recently improved by the addition of a new sandwich shop in the building. And they also have a free shuttle that will take you down to the Mag Mile for shopping or lunch.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees. The recent employee survey was a great way to be able to give my opinions on the direction our company is headed.

"Entrepreneurial company - has it's pros and growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people are incredible - driven, motivated, hard-working and fun. I found a very welcoming environment when I joined the company.

Cons

There is not a lot of structure in place for the less tangible elements of a job, like training and development. To me, that leaves the door open to suggest ideas and I know they will be happily received and I will be recognized positively if I do - that's the type of culture IW supports.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting sales growth with operational support!

"Challenging, fast-paced, rewarding, and fulfilling experience"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

One of the first things I look for in a company is the managers' level of competency and excitement about what they do. InnerWorkings has some of the most qualified, experienced, and motivated managers I've ever experienced.

As far as training goes, one of the most robust, intense, and thorough training programs I've seen. They really go above and beyond the call of duty-- much more than the "here's a script, learn it and get on the phone."

The office environment is very open and collaborative. People are constantly sharing knowledge and feedback to help each other succeed.

Cons

Things change a lot, but as long as you stay focused and get your job done, who cares what's going around around you. Plus, who doesn't like the opportunity to move to a new desk every once in a while? With a rapidly growing division, naturally it will have its growing pains, but the most successful individuals roll with the changes and use them as opportunities to contribute to the collective growth of the team and division, not hinder their work.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the collaborative nature of your teams, keep people in the loop as to upcoming changes, and always lead by example. Sales managers are experts in the print industry and should keep up the good work by advising and leading their teams to success!

"Lots of growth and tons of potential!"

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow in your career! InnerWorkings is rapidly growing and you have the opportunity to grow and develop along with it. The management team is open to new ideas and wants to hear them. You are given the tools of a robust training program and a hands-on leadership team who want to see you succeed. It is very exciting to be part of a new team that is growing so quickly and I look forward to growing with it!

Yes, if you are in sales, you are held to sales goals and are expected to build your own book of business. That is what it means to be in sales. Being able to build a book of business and be responsible for your own success was one of the things that attracted me to InnerWorkings and makes me want to stay.

Cons

Because of our rapid growth, we are tight on space till move to our new office. We are moving soon and will be in the same building in a new office.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the training programs and in building a strong culture.

7. "Best decision made to date"

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made the switch to the print management world about two years ago from the manufacturing floor - and I haven't looked back. The INWK office entices you to learn, and to collaborate with coworkers - this allows a relaxed, team atmosphere, where you really feel you can succeed with enough effort. I have been promoted twice since coming on board, and looking to advance again rather soon. The tools and avenues to be GREAT are here - you just need to know how to find them.

Great company to work for - I have brought on two more of my friends as well.

Cons

NADA. Very Happy with my current job and employer.

Advice to Management

keep pressing hard - push your staff to greatness. My boss currently does - and it makes all the difference in the world.

8. "Love the entrepreneurial spirit!"

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love how everyone here has an entrepreneurial spirit, management is very open to new ideas and ways of conducting business so that we can continue to grow and evolve as a company. A lot of people here challenge the norm and I think that’s what has made us so successful.

I also really like the casual work environment, it's nice to have that flexibility in between visiting clients!

Cons

I would absolutely love for management to consider summer hours!!

Advice to Management

Continue the management lunches, it's great having the opportunity to meet with senior management in an informal setting and be able to chat in a small group.

"If you enjoy an entrepreneurial environment, then InnerWorkings is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So many entrepreneurs have joined the business over the years that it makes a big difference in the types of people you work with. If you are confident in your ability to deliver, then you will love this environment.

Cons

Seems like many of the negative reviews are by the many junior folks hired into the small / medium sized business in Chicago. I don't think that reflects the feelings of the 1,600 employees around the world. Case in point: the NYC office has lots of people who have been with the business for a very long time and genuinely enjoy the environment. I'm sure there are many other offices just like that. Biggest con to me is that you need to be able to work in an unstructured work environment. If you need to be micro-managed, then definitely avoid InnerWorkings.

Advice to Management

Only hire the best people.

10. "Great place to work and be challenged"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are an incredible source of knowledge and support. You are challenged to build relationships with new clients, create a network of reliable and flexible suppliers, and think at 30,000 feet to deliver solutions that are nimble enough to successfully function locally and globally. No where else have I been exposed to so many different business dynamics in a single position. Advancement is not a guarantee like it is in the government, which some have a difficult time with. You have to apply yourself, show initiative, do well, and be entrepreneurial such as finding your own clients to really break out.

Cons

Benefits and time off are the corporate standard. Training and MBA support didn't exist when I was working there. Working for difficult client personalities can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Younger staff retention was 50/50 when I was there due to the challenging workplace and ambiguity of how to advance. Create an outline of a typical advancement within the company starting at entry level to share with new employees so they know what they have to do to move up over time.

Provide training in graphic design for beginner and advanced levels to your production staff and a design station in the office. Don't rely on designers and printers to get it right. Telling a client they have to pay for a reprint more because their designer messed up decays the relationship regardless of who to blame. Provide slightly additional compensation to those that complete those training levels and show competency. Then you can charge the client for changes rather than passing revenue off to the design firm or printer. A couple hundred employees making small design changes over thousands of jobs can be a sizable amount of revenue.

Provide MBA compensation for staffers that want to become business managers and executives.

11. "Excellent place to work."

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for InnerWorkings for about three years now. I was promoted about a year after working here, several of my colleagues in my department have been promoted as well! I absolutely love my job and love working for InnerWorkings. Management is approachable. Salaries are more than fair. The work-life balance is respected.

Cons

It is certainly a high performance environment; this type of workplace isn't for people who like to get into a job and just coast. I am a hard worker so I prefer it this way.