InnerWorkings Reviews | Glassdoor

InnerWorkings Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The compensation is average and the corporate model is very flat so not a lot of room for growth if you are young (in 4 reviews)

• poor upper management and it seemed like everyone was only out for themselves (in 6 reviews)

"Get everything from them in writing"

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work remotely at home

Cons

They will try to move your accounts to house to avoid commission.

Advice to Management

Get everything in writing

"If you enjoy an entrepreneurial environment, then InnerWorkings is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So many entrepreneurs have joined the business over the years that it makes a big difference in the types of people you work with. If you are confident in your ability to deliver, then you will love this environment.

Cons

Seems like many of the negative reviews are by the many junior folks hired into the small / medium sized business in Chicago. I don't think that reflects the feelings of the 1,600 employees around the world. Case in point: the NYC office has lots of people who have been with the business for a very long time and genuinely enjoy the environment. I'm sure there are many other offices just like that. Biggest con to me is that you need to be able to work in an unstructured work environment. If you need to be micro-managed, then definitely avoid InnerWorkings.

Advice to Management

Only hire the best people.

3. "Great place to work and be challenged"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are an incredible source of knowledge and support. You are challenged to build relationships with new clients, create a network of reliable and flexible suppliers, and think at 30,000 feet to deliver solutions that are nimble enough to successfully function locally and globally. No where else have I been exposed to so many different business dynamics in a single position. Advancement is not a guarantee like it is in the government, which some have a difficult time with. You have to apply yourself, show initiative, do well, and be entrepreneurial such as finding your own clients to really break out.

Cons

Benefits and time off are the corporate standard. Training and MBA support didn't exist when I was working there. Working for difficult client personalities can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Younger staff retention was 50/50 when I was there due to the challenging workplace and ambiguity of how to advance. Create an outline of a typical advancement within the company starting at entry level to share with new employees so they know what they have to do to move up over time.

Provide training in graphic design for beginner and advanced levels to your production staff and a design station in the office. Don't rely on designers and printers to get it right. Telling a client they have to pay for a reprint more because their designer messed up decays the relationship regardless of who to blame. Provide slightly additional compensation to those that complete those training levels and show competency. Then you can charge the client for changes rather than passing revenue off to the design firm or printer. A couple hundred employees making small design changes over thousands of jobs can be a sizable amount of revenue.

Provide MBA compensation for staffers that want to become business managers and executives.

"Cattle Call, hire and fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code is laid back, great food trucks outside the office. Free shuttle transportation is convenient with the shuttle bus (to Union, Oglvey, downtown, Red line, Brown line.)

Cons

Upper management is always changing. You'll have to move desk every other month. Everyone secretly hates it, but never leaves.

6. "Unstable work environment"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long, paid training period. Good benefits.

Cons

No consistency. You switch sales teams, desks, and managers on a monthly basis. There seems to be no vision to how the divisions show be run and maintained. No real room to advancement.

7. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of energy, fast pace, opportunity to come in, be heard, learn, and grow no matter your role. Office culture is fun, smart and accessible.

Cons

Benefit costs are incredibly high.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on sharing news, information and updates with us. It is motivating.

8. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Implementation in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation in Dallas, TX

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 4 years, in that time I have been given the opportunity within the company to transfer to a couple different positions. With each move I feel I have advanced my career and broaden my knowledge in both the print and client management fields.
    I like how my manager is very open with me and communicates well without being a micro-manager. I also like how I have been given the tools to be able to work where I am at.

Cons

It is a very hands off type of company and if you want something or need something done you have to make it happen.
    You have to make sure you have a voice and a positive attitude if you feel passionate about something to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open to all employees, even ones not based in the Chicago office. Makes the employees feel like they are important to the organization and keeps things positive.

9. "Fast paced, Energetic and Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of freedom to do your job and make decisions with little micromanaging. Lean and flat organization allows for opportunity and growth that might take longer to get somewhere else. Changing directives, while frustrating at times, keeps things new and challenging. I feel supported in my career development. People are great overall. Location and environment is really good.

Cons

Fast, changing environment isn't for everyone. Benefit costs are high. Need to be self directed which can be a positive if you like to work independently or to have a lot of autonomy.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the employee activities in the office. Operational structure and processes could be improved.

10. "OK"

Current Employee - Production Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good insight into how a 3rd party operates in the print industry. The ability to utilize many vendors in the industry is beneficial.

Cons

The compensation is average and the corporate model is very flat so not a lot of room for growth if you are young.

Advice to Management

Do not treat your employees like they dont know what they are doing.

"Eh, it's okay."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, good catering, it's not an ACTUAL boiler room.

Cons

It's a NASDAQ traded Boiler Room. The sales managers better hold on tight to those jobs, they'd be useless anywhere else.

Advice to Management

It really ain't going to matter.

InnerWorkings Response

May 28, 2014 – CEO

We are sorry to see this feedback and would welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you in a bit more detail in person. That would allow us to continue to learn and improve as a company, and we ... More