Inova Reviews in Falls Church, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton
J. Knox Singleton

Pros
Cons
  • They fail to understand the cost of living raises is needed (in 14 reviews)

• Lacked Transparency from upper management on decisions affecting clinic staff (in 16 reviews)

1. "Chemistry Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great lab to work in because of the people !! The techs are ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL !!!

Cons

Area Traffic, staffing shortages, etc.

"No Growth"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping people with health and related financial issues was a big plus.

Cons

Too many non IT people have IT positions. You could be an administrative assistant one day and a Senior IT Systems Analyst the next. They also just let 50 at a time go with no warning at all after 15 years of service. In Healthcare IT they don't want you touching the keyboards when they dismiss you so out the door immediately you go.

Advice to Management

Hire electricians to do electrical work not plumbers. Hire real IT people to do IT work... not nurses.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility. Great attendings and residents. Warm atmosphere.

Cons

In this department, there is nowhere to go beyond the Manager position.

Advice to Management

Provide a better promotion ladder.

"IT Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Fast paced environment. Many challenges. Rapid expansion.

* Most of the staff are very friendly and are dedicated to doing great work.

* Beautiful new facilities

Cons

* The IT department at Inova is currently undergoing major upheavals. A large percentage of the "old timers" have been displaced over the last 18 months and replaced with contractors. Many of the more talented staff that were not downsized have left already. Most of the remaining staff are now afraid to speak up or make any suggestions for fear of reprisal.

* Raises are based upon the performance of an entire hospital or division and not on that of an individual's accomplishments.

* Raises are often a token gesture (a 0.5% increase one year after several years with no increases.)

* Health care benefits are mediocre in comparison to other companies in the area.

* The company has perhaps expanded too quickly over the last decade and may be vulnerable to a downturn in the local economy.

Advice to Management

* Base raises & compensation on individual performance.

* You are losing talented staff due to lackluster benefits and low morale.

* While many of the IT security initiatives were needed, the manner in which they were implemented was inefficient and disruptive to much of the clinical staff.

* The contractors you brought in to replace staff are mediocre.

* Work harder to hire and retain talented staff.

"Patient Access Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large organization with a variety of jobs in various settings, which allows an individual to find a good fit with out leaving employers.

Cons

I have no cons to share

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Include staff in growth ideas, problem solving and facility progress.

"Disrespectful to Clinical Staff"

Current Employee - Clinical Director in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Clinical Director in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the nurses and staff are very good at their jobs and leave because they are and are very marketable.

Cons

The leadership does not respect or appreciate the nursing staff or understand that patients are admitted for NURSING care. The doctors admit patients for NURSING care. They disrespect nursing and clinical staff and try to underpay them and then wonder why they cannot retain staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff.
    Understand that new grads are not the answer to your problem or filling positions.
    If you are so ok with new grads for filling clinical positions why not fill a CEO position with a brand new out of school CEO? If it is good enough to risk the life of patients why is it not ok to run your hospital?
    Stop thinking that your clinical staff are idiots. Many of them had careers before becoming clinicians and have more knowledge than you know. They see through you and know more about business than you know.

8. "Inova"

Current Employee - Research Investigator II in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Research Investigator II in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees seem to have a lot of pride in the organization. There is a general sense of camaraderie and positivity.

Cons

You must use PTO to take off on holidays such as Christmas. They account for this by increasing PTO, but there are no guaranteed holidays. If you don't have enough leave, you work.

"Head of Human Resources Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time

Pros

I have been working at Inova for a long time and I can finally say we have a Head of HR at the corporate office that is a leader with compassion and understands what he is doing in a business sense. He truly cares about the people that work for him and is always willing to talk to you. I have never seen a leader with a open door policy like his--and he sticks by it. Since he has been here I have never seen him take the credit for anything but gives all the credit to his team. If we struggle at something he does take the blame for that though and does not worry about who did it but what can we do to fix it. He understands what makes the organization successful and that is his people. Yes, finally! I would work for him in the future.

Cons

It will take time to get the HR organization where he wants it to be but he is leading the way in getting it there. There are leaders and people who do not like what he is doing but that is normal.

Advice to Management

Remove the people that do not want to change and are still living the past. Inova is moving forward and so is our HR department. What I have seen shows me he has the HR department moving in the right direction.

"OK"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reputation, patient care, location, HR team

Cons

Pay was low. Culture was bad

Advice to Management

Need new senior team. CEO is a crook.

"Awful HR leadership"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reputable organization, nice offices, progressive organization from a healthcare perspective.

Cons

Awful, unqualified people in leadership positions, mediocre benefits, culture of micromanagement and hostility.

Advice to Management

Investigate your HR department- now! It is unfathomable to me that an organization of this size has such an unprofessional HR department. The hostility in the department can directly be contributed to a handful of people. I have never seen such incompetence in Recruiting and Employee Relations. Frankly, it's a joke. Turnover corraborates this statement. Wake up!