Inova Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Inova President and CEO J. Knox Singleton
J. Knox Singleton

Pros
Cons
  • They fail to understand the cost of living raises is needed (in 14 reviews)

• Lacked Transparency from upper management on decisions affecting clinic staff (in 15 reviews)

1. "OK"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reputation, patient care, location, HR team

Cons

Pay was low. Culture was bad

Advice to Management

Need new senior team. CEO is a crook.

"Awful HR leadership"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reputable organization, nice offices, progressive organization from a healthcare perspective.

Cons

Awful, unqualified people in leadership positions, mediocre benefits, culture of micromanagement and hostility.

Advice to Management

Investigate your HR department- now! It is unfathomable to me that an organization of this size has such an unprofessional HR department. The hostility in the department can directly be contributed to a handful of people. I have never seen such incompetence in Recruiting and Employee Relations. Frankly, it's a joke. Turnover corraborates this statement. Wake up!

"I was terminated for going to my manager about my being bullied."

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nursing staff is outstanding. Good at creatively solving problems. Too bad they cannot correctly pronounce the names of drugs. It is hard to think of more to say.

Cons

Mgmt brags about how many staff members they fire. The administration is one of the worst I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Don't terminate people for life unless they have caused harm to a patient.

"So sad"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome team members, beautiful facility.

Cons

Management doesn't care about you.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start, maybe just wash out the entire administration that you currently have set up, cause they all eat from each other's hands. There is no growth in this company because they constantly struggle with retention, so they try to hold on to people who are overqualified or unsatisfied with their current positions. Turnover rates are hilarious because people get paid to work in horrible circumstances with little to no support, and little to no acknowledgement of this. Everything is always the staffs fault - never management. Such a corrupt organization. Also - if you ever call HR to send you a hospital policy (cause it's most likely HIDDEN somewhere on INOVANET, or vague af) they're very reluctant to do so. They love practicing the defamation of character. Don't try to get a job here again if one of the managers don't like you... you're more than likely on the do not rehire list.

Also - if the practice doesn't bring in money, it's neglected. If you ever get a chance, take a trip to inpatient psych, and see how sad, and dingy the corridors are. For a hospital who prides themselves on aesthetics, it's amazing how slow they have been to renovate the psych wing... I wonder why...

"Highly respected hospital system that doesn't respect its employees"

Former Employee - RN2 in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - RN2 in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gained great experience. The people I worked with or should I say suffered through each shift with were awesome. Self scheduling

Cons

Management on all levels does not respect the caregivers at the bedside. Constantly had to work short staffed due to budget constraints. It's amazing we didn't have very many bad outcomes

Advice to Management

You need to listen to your staff. The pay is very low in comparison to what I am making now at another hospital system 5 mins away. I was at Fair Oaks for 5 years and received 1 raise of $0.18/hr. I guess that those that sit in the offices are not affected by the increased cost of living. We all know Knox Singleton does not go without a annual bonus

"Unfortunate...Technology area changing-for the worse"

Current Employee - Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public reputation still good
     Continues to be financially sound
    Lots of room to be better.
    The Board is very empowered.

Cons

Lack of respect for people with knowledge . New CIO has some knowledge about security and infrastructure, but her experience with care of patients, hospital operations, and the ability to create teams is severely lacking. There are many closed door meetings with a culture of secrecy that is toxic. People are always afraid to speak or ask questions, for fear their jobs are at stake. Many good employees are leaving and saying it is because of a hostile environment.

Advice to Management

Find a leader who knows how to lead. The first thing I would advise is to ask more questions and listen to the feedback of staff. The department needed to be changed, and change is good , but the way in which this CIO does business does not meet any standard that speaks to a safe environment or a great place to work. Until this changes we will remain in a downward spiral. Inova talks about accountability and great leadership... you need to evaluate the behavior of a leader who talks about accountability but does not hold herself accountable to the Just Culture and TeamSteps we are all learning about.

"Unstable Environment"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Inova has a lot of money to spend and they have a lot of very deserving Physicians and Clinical staff in need of IT services. There is a lot of opportunity waiting...

Cons

Inova recognized the need for better leadership about 2 years ago and brought in a new CIO from Jacksonville Florida. There were initially a lot of high hopes for some new ideas and a better run division. Sadly our hopes were dashed when the assumption was made that any 'old guard' that had been with Inova for over 10 years were not capable of moving forward and thus all let go. The history and the continuity were removed and replaced with approximately 10 leadership staff from....Jacksonville FL. The new regime came in and took over with little knowledge of hospital operations. The costly mistakes and the fear they have instilled in all of us is truly sad. I see gross errors being made daily and it bothers me to think this was allowed to occur. So many of us are desperate to get out. The team work is gone.

Advice to Management

Is anyone paying attention to what has occurred in IT? We all keep thinking someone will notice. You've done survey's, but who is reading them? We have been told the CIO is so loved by the board but no one realizes what the day to day environment is for the staff. We are terrified and feel there is no job security as we watch our colleagues dropping off like flys. Whatever happened to monthly meetings to hear our concerns? The CIO is so far removed and we are told to not complain and keep our heads down. This is not a way to run such a critical division. Who oversees the CIO? Please pay attention!

"RN"

Current Employee - RN NICU in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - RN NICU in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I used to be proud to be a part of a reputable system with a strong comunity focus. That has completely dissolved.

Cons

The greed and corruption within this system has taken over. All the executives are concerned about is making as much profit as possible to buy another facility or practice in their effort to monopolize northern virginia. This is at the expense of the safety of patients. They have made it a practice to only hire new graduate nurses or those with minimal experience and paay them rediculous salaries. We have also brought in "international nurses" that do not even speak english to save money. It is criminal! Please if you have a loved one in IFH bring an advocate. The safety of our community is absolutely not in the best hands there anymore

Advice to Management

I do understand that you fear for your jobs but how will you feel when these errors continue and patients on your units are harmed or killed. Stand up!

"This is the nastiest, most unethical, out of compliance, illegal, disorganized HR environment you'd ever come across!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time

Pros

Clinical groups know what they're doing and have created amazing medical programs, which create a good reputation in the area.

Cons

HR leadership is hostile, unprofessional, and disrespectful. These leaders run meetings and say the ocasional curse word here and there (executive leaders). They think they're funny, but they don't understand that it's the most ridiculous representation of HR. It's a circus. They're very unprofessional and unethical. They humilliate us and are condescending, bossy and very difficult especially our more direct supervisors. We don't get any support from them. They bring us down if we don't have an answer to a specific question and don't hesitate to do it in public as well -the louder, the better. Executive leadership ignores it. People are afraid to speak about the way they're treated as they're worried about losing their jobs. These leaders promote their friends and have outside personal relationships with their staff (unethical relationships), and they get away with all of it.

The number of changes in process is overwhelming. Leaders change processes daily and don't seem to know what they're doing. It's very frustrating. They seem to be completely disconnected from the work we do and what they think we do.

We are treated like slaves. The prior comment about HR being a slave ship is true. A lot of us will start to speak up if the environment doesn't change.

Advice to Management

Get rid of HR leadership at the "headquarters" and talk to the staff to confirm the nightmare they're living when they smile and say everything is okay. I encourage everyone else to post how they really feel so management can do something about it.

11. "Program manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Great employees work there even though upper management to focused on saving money without allowing enough staff

Cons

Too much stress. Adding additional responsibilities without additional staff

Advice to Management

Reduce stress for managers. Too much focus on money