InsideSales.Com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Elkington

Pros
  • While the company is growing it is still small enough to get to know the CEO and other executives in order to make your own mark on the company (in 21 reviews)

• There are a lot of great people to work with (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains are always painful (in 27 reviews)

• Too much goes through upper management and getting simple things approved can feel like insurmountable obstacles at times (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"First Weeks at InsideSales"

Current Employee - Marketing in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wow - how to encapsulate the first days/weeks at a new job? Pros - the strategic focusing and alignment to an "enterprise customer first" vision is working its way through the entire company. Clarity of mission helps us understand what to do - and not do - and stop doing - and do more of.

There is an energy and desire to do what is right for the customer that is palpable. I love that about InsideSales. Wicked smart (and very nice) people, a passion to make a difference, and really cool tech that is years ahead of the completion. That is what I perceived during my research and interviews, and what my reality has confirmed. I'm very happy with my move.

For anyone who has been in tech more than a few years, inflection points in strategy and execution are normal and shouldn't be feared. I read the Glassdoor reviews while researching the company before accepting my offer - I know the negative reviews reflect the reality of the writers and how they perceive the recent strategy changes and its impact on their world, I guess I have been through this enough times in my career to view these as white water rapids that you steer into - and enjoy the ride - and not avoid and miss the opportunities for experience, growth, and excitement.

I like the Provo office space - kinda industrial minimalist meets Sundance steampunk. I was afraid I wouldn't like the VERY open concept design (no cubicles, dividers or walls) - getting into everyone's business all day long. What I found was more ad hoc collaboration than I've every experienced. Very cool. There are many phone rooms and conference room around the perimeter so if I need privacy talking about personal or confidential work items it is easy to find a private space. Also, since there are no walls, the space is filled with natural light and we can see outside. Definitely not your standard cubicle farm.

The second floor has a pretty decent break room with pool tables ping pong, and on-demand soda. As one reviewer noted there isn't 24x7 "free food" ala Google or some businesses provide. Not a big deal for me either way. Pretty good cafeteria on campus and the usual places in Provo are close by for lunch. Vasa membership is free if you visit more than a few times month. Nice perk and probably better for me than 24x7 Oreos in the break room.

I was asked if I wanted a Mac or PC and was provisioned with everything day 1. I got to keep my own cell phone and plan and receive a monthly supplement to my paycheck. Super easy in that respect not having to juggle phone plans. Office suite of products so I have the tools to get my job done.

Another pro is our commitment to giving back - the Do Good Foundation donates 1% of revenue, product, and employee time to different charities. Orientation included spending time working at the Provo food bank - putting into immediate practice what the preach. I liked that.

In summary, many pros that are important to me - some unexpected and some were a welcome surprise.

Cons

To give a balanced review I have to be completely honest, there are some quirks.

The tech has been around for 11 or 12 years - so there is an incredible amount of depth in data and research. Nothing else like it in our space. However, the company feels more like a 2 or 3 year old startup in our processes and structure. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a quirk when some people talk about the company in last decade but the Org feels younger than that. It is like several different companies have existed with the same name continually evolving.

There have been a a fair number of execute leadership departures - back to my comment of different versions of the same company. A yellow flag, but not s red flag for me. I'm impressed with the current roster of leaders or I wouldn't have accepted the offer. Time will tell whether the current combination of strategy, leadership, and products will be the perfect storm to realize the billion dollar valuation the investors and analysts have predicted.

Salaries in Utah are fair, but not exuberant. I get that a young company has to be conservative at the beginning to become an old successful company. I hope this is something leadership monitors and shares the prosperity as we deliver on our objectives and company growth.

One thing I miss from former companies is the concept of "unlimited PTO". I've never seen it abused and like the flexibility when I work with my manager to take time when I need it. InsideSales still uses the old school accrue-as-you-work model. As a new hire I can't guarantee I will have a linear need for time away from work that grows with my tenure, so I would encourage leadership to consider the MANY workforce studies that show Unlimited PTO increases employee morale
    and job satisfaction, actually decreases the amount of time taken, and is no longer a business expense carried in the books for accrued but unused PTO hours.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and execute the hell out of the current plan to realize the full potential of the company.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. The atmosphere is great.

Cons

The commute is long, but worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"One of the best tech opportunities in the Silicon Slopes"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A collaborative environment with a compelling tech stack and management that enables you to innovate and iterate.

The benefits are decent and the PTO policy for engineering promotes a healthy work life balance.

There are ample opportunities for advancement and growth if you are motivated. Product is evolving and presents chances to have a real impact.

Failure is acceptable but fail fast and iterate.

Cons

Established legacy product that still has to be supported.

Headquarters is in Provo which can lend to an overly polite culture and stifle accountability (although current management has effectively combatted this).

"Dave Elkington will be the death of this company"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the years I was at InsideSales, I learned from a lot from talented and experienced sales leaders. Unfortunately, those same people have all moved on and taken their skills elsewhere.

Cons

Here's an example of who's left in the last 6-8 months, and you decide if this is a company worth working at, or a product worth buying.

2 CFO, 2 CMO, CRO, SVP Alliances, 2 SVP enterprise sales, Chief Customer Officer, SVP commercial sales, VP commercial sales. All the above left voluntarily, and most were there less than two years (one CFO was there for literally a week). There are countless other leaders who have left. The sales team is down to a handful of reps with basically no management right now.

The common reason for all these leaders leaving (who were big shots at places like Salesforce, oracle, Citrix): Dave Elkington. He is running his company into the ground because everything has to be done his way. Don't believe the hype - this company is not a unicorn. Unicorns don't lose deals constantly to competitors who weren't even in business a year ago.

Advice to Management

Hard to say, since the management is constantly changing...

"Professional Growth & Great Pay"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insidesales.com has provided me with the ability to expedite my career, rub shoulders with some of the best in the industry and I'm being paid well along the way. The skill set I've obtained allows for an easy plug and play into a myriad of other SaaS companies, which gives me strength in the market and ability to further my career.

Cons

Insidesales.com has moved upstream in order to capitalize on the Enterprise market and therefore cut much of the lower segments and supporting sales and enablement individuals. A lot of great people were cut in this process.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots and focus on building world class, cutting edge software.

"Happy Here"

Current Employee - Sales in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Challenging (I enjoy a good challenge - it's how one grows)
    Great tech (don't listen to all the negative stuff here. The tech works. And it works well)
    Highly skilled people to work with.
    Awesome customers.

Insidesales.com it's a pretty great place to work. Amazing technology that really does work. Does it have shortcomings? Every technology does, and we're no different than any other one that's out there. But sometimes it gets a little ridiculous. It is getting better though.

Sure I do have my concerns and gripes about the company, but overall we have an amazing technology that truly does help organizations grow and succeed. Is there some turmoil currently? Yes. But pushing through the stuff is nothing new than any other company that's out there. Or no more different than other companies that go through things like this. Have our C level executives made some really stupid choices? No question. But find me an organization that has not made mistakes. Has this affected people personally? Yes. I know this is pretty obvious but that's business. And ISDC is not here to make friends with or coddle you, or to do everything for you. Those who were asked to stay have been over achievers and excel in their duties through think and thin. Those who were let go fall into three categories.

1. You didn't perform
    2. You were in a role that was duplicitous
    3. You stood around the water cooler for too long gossiping about how crappy it was to work here, and believed it. Rather than focusing on your role and doing amazing work you had done before.

Did some of the decisions that the executive team made, make it difficult, and sometimes impossible, for you to succeed? 110%. Is that fair? No. You know this is much as I do nothing is fair. You have to work your tail off if you want to succeed at anything in life.

So moral of the story: life sucks sometimes. Companies you work for suck sometimes. Executives and companies that you work for make some of the worst decisions available to them. Reality is, it's how you choose to deal with what you're faced with. Sometimes that means you need to move on. Other times it means for you to be tenacious. And square your shoulders and do the best you can. And do everything in your power to be a successful as you can. If you don't have the right tools to accomplish what you were hired to do, speak up. Or go make the tool you need. Figure it out.

If you're reading this considering to come work for inside sales.com. My advice: if you can't deal with change, if you can't work with being challenged, if you expect to have everything handed to you on a SilverPlatter, if you can't be flexible, resilient, and persistent during difficult times or in stressful situations, I don't want you to be a co-worker. Go elsewhere.

But if you thrive on pushing yourself every day to do some of the most amazing work you've ever done. And the complete opposite of everything I just mentioned above, I want you on our team.

Cons

Currently moral is down. We just lost a LOT of very talented people. People I've worked with here for a few years.

Exec team doesn't listen to everyone like they claim.

Advice to Management

CEO has a hard time admitting mistakes.

C level executives need to be more open with us. Listen to what's going on, on the front lines.

No more stupid witch hunts for something that was already obvious.

For our talent acceleration team: when interviewing people, hire people who are resilient, and keep hiring amazing talented people.

This is dumb, but is annoying. The snack bar on the second floor, is not subsidized at all like you claim. It's just as expensive as airport snacks. Most every other tech company that's out there provides this stuff at no cost to the employees. Get on Par.

"Great Career Growth and Compensation"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales, Account Executive in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales, Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Lots of opportunity to stand out and make an impact on revenue and brand. Great career building experiences with helping Fortune 1000 customers drive revenue. Very family oriented.

Cons

Growing pains. With growing pains come change.

Advice to Management

More transparency

"Decent company, lack of proper leadership"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very casual working environment, 401k match.

Cons

Lots of change in senior leadership/direction

"Growing Company"

Former Employee - Consultant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a great experience working at Insidesales.com. The experience provided there over five years was something I would have not been able to gain anywhere else. I was able to wear many hats and learn how to bootstrap while growing a company. I had daily interaction with the President & CEO. I always felt I made a large impact on the direction of the company.

Cons

Because we were bootstrapped, salaries were a bit under market value, although this was fairly offset by the work experience gained and the stock options offered.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees on the front lines & focus on both customer and employee happiness.

"Good product - culture was rough"

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are going to sell Sales tools, Insidesales.com is the best. Other products in the market are clunky and weird.

Cons

There was always this underlying fear that the company was going to lay off huge amounts of people. Nobody ever felt safe in their job. Plus C-level execs kept leaving which made a lot of people really suspicious.

Advice to Management

Quit ignoring the fact that C-Level executives are leaving. Address the issue and rally up the troops. People are willing to work through problems but not if you ignore that the problems exist.