InsideSales.Com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
David Elkington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • While the company is growing it is still small enough to get to know the CEO and other executives in order to make your own mark on the company (in 21 reviews)

• The company is full of great people you'll grow to care about (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains are always painful (in 29 reviews)

• Too much goes through upper management and getting simple things approved can feel like insurmountable obstacles at times (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enormous potential"

Former Employee - Director in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

InsideSales.com is one of the most interesting companies in Utah, if not the US. The challenges employees get to tackle there regularly are the sort of thing you can only dream about in many places, and that makes every day an adventure. You will not get bored, that is guaranteed, and you will stretch yourself and grow in ways you cannot anticipate.

The company is full of great people you'll grow to care about.

This is a great place to advance your career and skillset. I'm very glad I could add InsideSales.com to my resume.

Cons

The company's meteoric growth was accompanied by the kinds of growing pains that typify so many darlings in the tech space, and there have been some periods of uncertainty as a result. The good news is, management responded quickly and as put things heading back in a positive direction. Still, the spasms caused a bit of talent to leave. This is as much an opportunity as a crisis, and it's gratifying to see people inside given a chance to rise to the occasion and take the lead.

Advice to Management

Stick with the plan, especially the commitment to radical transparency.

"Really a great fit"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good opportunities to stand out. There's no shortage of good ideas floating around; go above and beyond to turn one into reality and you can make a huge difference.

- Management respects your opinion and welcomes suggestions. If you're vocal about something and have the reasoning to back it up, they will hear you out and take your input seriously. Doesn't matter if you're an intern or a senior architect.

- Nice and simple in-office perks that make the day overall more pleasant.

- Maintaining work/life balance is valued here and encouraged among the employees. Sure, some nights you need to work late, but they'll expect you to leave early the next day. They also recently implemented an "unlimited PTO" plan.

- It wasn't always this way, but over time they've really developed a great balance between autonomy and accountability. There's meaningful recognition without showboating or shallow praise.

All-in-all I really like it here; which is why I've stayed for as long as I have in a very competitive market for tech talent.

Cons

- Sometimes projects are backlogged till the last minute, making things a bit hectic. Through really I think this is a challenge just about everywhere when trying to juggle expectations for all around you.
    - The company hit into some turbulence recently and I think it is still reeling a bit trying to sort through priorities and how best to use resources. Things are looking better, though, and I expect things to stabilize within the next month or so.

"Still struggling to right the ship"

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

They pay competitively, they recently rolled out unlimited PTO, a lot of people are good people doing the best they can. They have invested more this year into product stabilization/bug fixes etc. That's about the best of it.

Cons

Since the first week I came into ISDC some of my coworkers have been telling me its a bad company, I have done my best to ignore the detractors and to keep a positive attitude. a year (and a lot of frustration) later I am beyond my best efforts of optimism with ISDC work environment.
    Unfortunately the leadership has shown it is unsure of what to do and where to go to be successful. For example, about 6 months ago they laid off 150+ people during two rounds of layoffs to "fully commit" and put all their chips into the enterprise space. Now however, there are strong rumors that they are acknowledging may have acted to brashly (many internally at multiple seniority levels already thought this) and there are indications that they will begin bringing people back to rebuild the SMB/mid size sales motion. That is where they were most successful in the first place.
     Where I finally realized it was not going to get better is when for months they rammed down sales throats 'We need more pipeline! Bring in more pipeline so we can close bigger deals!' Only once sales/biz dev/marketing helped produce over and above their pipeline goals, they started freaking out about nothing closing fast enough and that the pipeline was over inflated. One RVP of sales even started telling his AE's to quietly lower opportunity estimates before sales calls to keep eyes off his territory.

Bad practices, no accountability and lack of leadership. I don't recommend.

Advice to Management

Be accountable. Don't talk about 'No BS' in company meetings and then allow BS to take place in your leadership ranks.

"13-yr-old Startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about InsideSales.com is the business model. Access to proprietary sales interaction data--anonymized--and then a way to monetize that data by using it to help other customers sell more? It may be the greatest business model ever.

Second best is the people, but this hasn't consistently been true. The people at InsideSales today are True Believers, and they are working hard to make the vision for the company come true.

I appreciate a startup culture. In a startup, there isn't time for politics, and the only thing that matters is results. InsideSales felt that way in the early days, then forgot it was a startup and hired bureaucrats and corporate survivors. These hiring mis-steps almost cost InsideSales its birthright, and the startup soul of the company was nearly sucked out.

But... the bureaucrats and cynics are gone, the startup culture is back, and things are up and to the right again.

No startup is without its drama or existential risk. InsideSales has both, and it is an invigorating place to work!

Cons

InsideSales still has a couple of cultural hangovers. One is a "blame culture," which might stem from the bad experience of having too many bureaucrats and corporate survivors in management. But we need to continue to squash that. Good people are doing their best to fight battles every day, and we need to support them in their successes and failures.

The other thing we don't have right yet is a true focus on customer success. This is especially true of the product organization. Product is becoming more customer empathetic, but they aren't there yet. It can still be the case that engineers or PMs cite internal considerations as reasons not to do the right thing for the customer. Or worse yet, not bother to find out what the customer needs. This is moving in the right direction, but we are not there yet. Customer success needs to be front and center!

Advice to Management

Keep your soul. Stay true to the startup spirit. Stay humble. Don't try to copy anyone--be yourself and build InsideSales.com. It is a truly unique opportunity, and it feels like the company is back on track to be one of the great ones.

"they don't respect people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not much pressure here, don't have to worry about getting fired

Cons

bad management, bad working environment

"A place to grow and learn if the stars align"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at InsideSales after a short stint at small family company. InsideSales was my first 'big' company. I was fortunate to have amazing managers that helped me make the right connections and navigate the politics and bureaucracy that was starting to spring up. I learned a lot. Our team was scrappy and willing to try new things that no one had done before. We stretched ourselves and added to our resumes. Things shifted and changed frequently, so you had to adapt and hack together solutions on the fly. We never had money to buy top-of-line tools (or even the pathetic ones for that matter) so we did a lot of things in house. It was really fun for the first few years. We worked long hours and we saw the growth in the company. We were appreciated for our skills, talent and experience. But I now think we grew too fast.

Cons

As some reviews have noted already, there is a very cynical side to working at InsideSales.com. For a company that has been in the space for a while (and led the industry), there has been a lot of growth in our competitors while we seem to be dealing with growing pains over and over. With the turnover of almost the entire c-suite, there has not been a consistent path to success for the average employee.

It is good to have aspirations and goals, but at some point it becomes a platitude that the more experienced employees view with cynicism. "Yeah, we tried that before with [this leader] and it didn't work because [insert reason here]".

There were multiple efforts to provide company-wide goals and they all ended up turning into "track it all to revenue" which was good, but the shift to enterprise meant longer sales cycles and we didn't really have short-term measurements to show success anymore.

The good managers have left in droves after the c-suite turnover began. They knew the value of their employees and treated them well. Once they began to leave, spot bonuses dried up, and raises were nonexistent. New managers are so focused on satisfying expectations at higher levels, the staff get whiplash when priorities change and shift.

I distinctly remember when I first decided to start looking. I knew I was underpaid, I knew I was dead-ended, and I put in a ridiculous amount of overtime over a period of weeks on a very large project. We made the deadline by the skin of our teeth and only because we all put in massive overtime. There was no recognition for the team. Just a little pat on the back in dept meetings. When I asked, I was told they couldn't do anything monetary for us. And then I knew we were not valued. InsideSales expects sacrifice for the vision just like a startup. We had grown, but the mindset had not changed.

Advice to Management

Provide stability. Focus on career mentoring. Help your employees know what it means to succeed and plan with them how to do that. Shield them from the top management that no longer knows what it is like on the floor. Trust the people you have hired.

Make pay fair. Do regular evaluations. When they go above and beyond, compensate them!

Recognize the cynicism that is rampant in middle management and staff. New employees are sold a beautiful future and quickly get met with cynicism from the old hands. Be realistic.

There is real promise to the software, but the vision being sold just isn't there yet. Focus on what the software actually does.

I'm not there for the vision, I'm there because it is a job. And now I'm gone because I didn't feel appreciated and I figured that meant I'd be in the next layoff round.

"Salt Lake office is wonderful"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I got to work on the first day, not a lot of sitting around twiddling thumbs. You are trusted to do the work you were hired to do which is very important to me.

- The culture in the office is great. There are nerds aplenty and although there are only 2 women who work in the office regularly, it doesn't feel isolating like other tech environments.

- There is a pool table and ping pong table. There is soda and sparkling water and snacks like dried mango and trail mix and pretzels and cookies.

- Downtown location is near a lot of great restaurants and shops.

- Open-minded office environment. What you'd expect from a downtown SLC location instead of say...Lehi or Provo.

- Just great, smart, friendly people that immediately welcome you to the team.

- Managers are genuinely interested in your success and helping you reach your career goals.

- Adjustable desks to stand up/sit down.

Cons

- Parking is expensive. Insidesales offers a stipend which is automatically applied to your paycheck whether you pay for parking or not. It covers just over half if you use covered parking and will pay for some of the cheaper lots completely.

- The main hub of InsideSales is located in Provo, so to get different equipment (larger monitors, keyboard, wireless mouse, etc) you might need to travel to Provo to get it.

- Health insurance is OK but nothing special.

"Setting the Record Straight"

Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were mostly fantastic people stuck in a horrible corporate culture of empty promises, hype, and outright lies.

Cons

The Glass Door rating that they have should not be trusted. Easily half (or more) of the reviews are phony, intended to raise their average. The true rating would be closer to 2 stars.

Advice to Management

Lying to people and treating them poorly ultimately ends badly for you.

"Not a horrible place to work"

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with

Cons

Lack of direction. Not sure they will survive their choices.

"Lots of opportunity... whiny (ex?) co-workers"

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

InsideSales.com defined an industry which is now letting a lot of other companies compete. Tremendous brand recognition and the total addressable market is impressive. There is room for a lot of companies to succeed.

Dave Elkington has received a ton of flak, some deserved, some undeserved. What many people miss is how much Dave and the leadership have improved over the past few years. Personally I have seen Dave get out of the details, focus a lot more on strategy and customers and trust & empower the leaders he has hired. Yes, there are moments he reverts, but I feel way more empowered than in other Utah companies I've worked for.

A case in point is the new product development. The company has invested heavily, recognizing the market is evolving. The depth of that investment will pay off, but launching new products is painful and it takes grit, customer focus and determination. That's exciting for some people, and too much like hard work for others.

In my mind InsideSales.com:

- Has a fantastic go-to market ability.
    - Is investing the right way in new products and empowering the product & engineering teams to deliver.
    - Is figuring out customer obsession & focus fast.
    - Recognizes and encourages success.

Cons

I've never worked anywhere where current or former employees can be so negative. For each person who writes on Glassdoor consider whether your review is fair & reasonable - is it something you would say to peoples' faces? I hate the saccharin "there is so much free food I put on weight" reviews you see for other Utah companies as much as anyone else. But when you write a review you are making it easier or harder for your prior or current co-workers. Some of the reviews written on Glassdoor have been very fair & reasonable. Some ridiculously inaccurate on either the positive side or the negative side. Some of them are blatant lies. Others represented biased viewpoints from people too jaded to bother to ask questions or listen to the answers. Honestly, my biggest single negative on the company is that there are people who have written on this forum with such vitriol and destructive attitude to those people they have worked with. It makes me sometimes question the folks around me.

There certainly are a lot of people who have neither worked in a startup type environment or in a new product environment before. Both require hard work and taking the time to get things right. Some of the reviews here have been very negative of people working hard to get things right... for those writing negative reviews, consider how hard you truly tried to help. For those who say "I wasn't paid enough", was your contribution part of the root cause?

We definitely are in a competitive market. InsideSales.com was asleep for too long as they allowed competition to grow. That gives us some uphill work to do, but the good news is the customer & product focus is stronger than ever.

The market pressure has led to some lay-offs and definitely that creates a lot of negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Keep the new focus on customers & products. Keep focusing on helping customers sell more. And keep empowering all parts of the business and not micro-manage.

Raise the bar on hiring and make sure people with the right culture join. We need people who are willing to work hard & smart to deliver.