InsideSales.Com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
David Elkington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • While the company is growing it is still small enough to get to know the CEO and other executives in order to make your own mark on the company (in 21 reviews)

• The company is full of great people you'll grow to care about (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains are always painful (in 29 reviews)

• Too much goes through upper management and getting simple things approved can feel like insurmountable obstacles at times (in 15 reviews)

"InsideSales is back."

Current Employee - Management in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Management in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energizing culture. Meritocracy. Rewards high performance Recent management changes have brought transparency and optimism and belief. This is a place for people who want to change the world.

Cons

Culture can be a bit polarizing. Not a great place for traditional training / Development. You get thrown in the deep end.

Advice to Management

Keep running hard and fast. High performers will be attracted to that pace.

"A great place to make your mark"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very much a start-up culture. If you work with a sense of urgency and ownership the sky is the limit. Infinite opportunity, easy to find meaningful and interesting projects, and a great chance to build relationships with excellent co-workers and big brand name customers.

Things I love:
    • Providing amazing opportunities for career growth. Set me up with experience to be successful for the long run in my career.
    • Great at giving you tons of responsibility you aren’t technically qualified for which really stretches you and makes you better
    • Attracting other hard working, talented, high caliber folks – really the best people I’ve ever worked with
    • I’ve had great bosses all around and always felt like they really cared about me and my career
    • Strong leadership teams - really excited about the new CTO, and President of Growth.

Also - there is a rumor left here by some of my peers about “HR asking people to do reviews” I want to set the record straight. As far as I’m aware they have never coerced or incentivized anybody to write a positive review. Like any normal person that cares about the company they have encouraged people that have positive outlooks to leave their reviews and share their opinions - period. They didn’t ask me. I simply wanted to write an honest review from a different perspective.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. If you want to simply collect a pay check and have an easy 8:00 – 5:00 gig, this is not the place for you. It’s hard work and requires resilience and creativity.

Has it all been sunshine and rainbows? – no. The company has made mistakes with product strategy and direction. We grew too fast. We hired too many Salesforce/Oracle execs that burned us when we didn’t IPO the same year. We are slowly recovering from the turmoil.

Advice to Management

Over the last six months I have felt a palpable change in the way the company values each employee. Keep this up. Accelerate 18 is a great example of the change in mindset – the company wanted every employee to attend, provided transportation, food, and even lodging. It was HUGELY appreciated and surged the morale of the ranks. I personally loved the event and felt rejuvenated. Do more events/parties/offsites with the employees – they don’t need to be extravagant, it’s the thought that counts.

Keep celebrating the wins and be transparent and open about the failures.

"Great idea gone to utter waste..."

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, solid benefits, strong vision

Cons

Recent rounds of layoffs
    The company is in total survival mode
    Poor execution (to put it lightly)
    Toxic, cynical culture
    Could care less about their customers, it's only about the $$$
    People in roles they have no business being in, they're there because they can't hire anyone experienced enough to do it
    CEO doesn't trust anyone and legitimately always thinks he is correct (when he's often not)

Advice to Management

The ship has sailed on this one. Too bad because the idea was really strong. Allow who put in blood, sweat, and tears for you all these years will be rewarded somehow. Don't let them sink with you.

"It was ok, I guess?"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You get to work with some cool technology, if you are on the right team
    - Soda Machine
    - Some members of my team were exceptionally smart and were great mentors
    - You ship software, sometimes

Cons

- The "Go Fast Go Hard" mentality seems to burn often; nobody stops to think
    - Yes there is pinball but its broken often
    - They expect a lot from you; leads to poor work-life balance
    - High turnover; and they are weird about it and try to hide it. Makes you leery of really getting to know other parts of the business
    - Upper management prefers to talk about themselves during demos rather than the products you are building

Advice to Management

You can't make up for poor strategy with hard work. Take some time to think and plan before executing a strategy! Your rank-and file felt jerked around and it led to trust issues within teams.

Additionally, it felt "closed" to me while there. How can I, as an engineer align the code I write with long term company plans when nobody will tell me what those plans are?

"Good people, but the grass has been much greener since I left"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They used to hire great people, whom they laid off, so now I have a lot of great friends working for many companies.
    Learned a lot from my coworkers and managers.
    Cool concept for a product.

Cons

Insidesales.com made a series of bad decisions that they are paying for again and again. They continuously tried to sell products that not only weren't complete, but in some cases didn't even exist except in the minds of the execs.
    They hired too many people too quickly and then got the rug pulled out from under them when wall street decided it wanted responsible growth.
    Getting raises was like pulling teeth, regardless of the quality of your work.
    They were amazing at creating hype and selling us all on the promise that we would be part of something amazing and world changing, that we were on a rocket ship. Turns out we ended up boarding the Challenger space shuttle, and the whole thing blew to pieces before we ever really took off.
    Honestly, I probably should have left earlier, but I liked my team.
    Things may have changed since last I was there, but I doubt it's changed that much, as my friends continue to give me news about the slow demise of a once promising company.
    But look on the bright size, when they get acquired, it'll be a heck of deal for whomever buys them.

Advice to Management

To Dave Elkington: Company culture is not a set of cliché terms that you frame and display in the office. It's not platitudes handed down from the executive team. Culture can't be created by talking about it in a board room meeting. Culture is created organically by the community of the company, and when you treat employees like cogs in the AI wheel, and as replaceable assets, then employees are no longer interested in being part of the culture, which in essence kills the culture.
    You can't hype employees into your vision with the same speech every company meeting, especially after laying off buckets of people.
    I really hope that Insidesales.com finds their way to success. But I'm not holding my breath. Best of luck, and to anyone considering working there, make sure you absolutely love your manager, and make sure that you have an exit strategy.

"Not that bad, but not that good"

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great idea. Dave Elkington nailed the definition of the product. Others, including the former CMO Mick Hollison helped build strong messaging around "Sales Acceleration".

Company started to turn around its product & technology innovation two years ago, after years of neglect. There is truly good work going on and some great people working on it.

Customer success team really working to help customers succeed. Overall internal focus on customer success is improving throughout all functions and has been for the past 12 months.

For most of the current employees, this is a fine place to work. Decent benefits including trusting employees with discretionary PTO.

The Microsoft investment is a shot in the arm the company needed. There is time to turn this ship around, as long as the right decisions are made and the leadership team takes responsibility rather than blame each other and prior departed executives.

Cons

Tendency to bash anyone who previously worked there, rather than tackle the problems. Just read the other review here written by the Marketing folks or dictated by Dave E himself "We hired too many Salesforce/Oracle execs that burned us when we didn’t IPO the same year. ….". Why blame the Salesforce and Oracle alumni rather than take ownership for your own mistakes? This culture of blaming others is rampant.

There are long standing old loyalties and a ton of politics. If you work here, be sure to understand all the people with deep ties to Dave and how they play into the environment.

The turnover is leadership is a major concern. The leadership team resemble the Trump White House in turns of tenure. This provides evergreen fodder to blame, but blame won't make the numbers better or customers happier.

Advice to Management

Focus on customers and empower employees. Measure success in the eyes of customers, rather in the perception of your competitors or other Utah valley CEOs.

Embrace and realize the dream of AI for Sales Acceleration. But ensure that dream becomes reality and stop over promising.

"painful lesson"

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

committed employees that work really hard. select plus health plan

Cons

senior management starting with the CEO. dishonest about role.

Advice to Management

sell the company and let a professional firm do a good job.

"Crazy hard work but good opportunities"

Former Employee - Business Development in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Business Development in Provo, UT

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly after a year here you can go to any tech company that you want.

Cons

High expectations, sometimes product can be a tad clunky

Advice to Management

Dave keep being Dave!

"Run Away"

Pros

Could be a good business model if they’d get out of their own way. Do fine with inside sales younger team, but don’t know how to let mid and senior talent do the job.

Cons

HUGE turnover among senior leadership. Cannot keep anyone for more than a year. Cannot make up their mind how they want to grow business.

Advice to Management

Dave Elkington is a control freak and needs to allow his team autonomy to run things. He is demeaning to employees in public, even though I think he has good intentions.

"I'd never do it again"

I worked at InsideSales.Com full-time

Pros

I worked with some amazing colleagues

Cons

Very closed-minded culture and a management style that could only be described as schizophrenic. There have been several rounds of lay-offs, and a mass exodus of C-level and Sr. Management. There is very little diversity in culture, gender, or education.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback and be open to alternative viewpoints.