Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"Partner Champion"

Current Employee - Partner Champion in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Partner Champion in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Occasionally Free lunches from Partners
    - Requires a ticket based on which stadium you work in.

Cons

Low Pay
    Incompetent management
    Promotions based on how much you suck up as opposed to talent or results
    Horrendous Benefits
    Excpetions for which employees can work for partners.
    Non-Compete forces you out of indusry

Advice to Management

Talk to employees on the floor not the incompetent management who tell you what they think you want to hear rather than what needs to be changed.

Insight Response

Jan 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for the feedback. Regarding pay, we do review and adjust our compensation levels across roles and regions to ensure they are competitive. We strive to ensure we are positioned well to ... More

"The sales cycle here is like an unfolding lawn chair...Clunky..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many pros that do not outweigh the cons to consider before working here...Although there is some opportunity for advancement, and many opportunity's to make sales. There is alot of opportunity for frustration and low moral...There are opportunities to network all IT partners and create lasting relationships, if you are looking for only a 45 hour work week and make your 40-50 a year, and go home, this may be the place for you...If you desire a place where you can start a career and grow this could be a good place, just not since I have been there...

Cons

The main problem with Insight is they capitalizing on your hard work, they do not pay you market rate or on time..They change you pay structure like changing underwear. You partner spiffs get processed through teams that are underpaid and jealous so they can take up to 6 months to hit your account...This reason alone is cause to look for an employer that has Integrity...I have never worked for a company who has they're own self interests more at heart than here, I will not try to further my career here and will be moving on very soon...Unless you kiss up to your manager you will not get ahead here...Your day is spent trying to get sales or new clients, then you have the metrics and asks...I have never wasted so much of my time doing administrative duties...I thought this was a sales position...You are stuck adding opportunities in the Client link system, which is a CRM (SAP) that for a 5 billion dollar company is just plain ludicrous...The decisions that are passed down to the sales floor have almost a disconnected from reality feel...

Advice to Management

GET RID OF CLIENT LINK...This is the main reason I will be moving on...
    PAY YOUR SALES FORCE...on time not 6 months later...
    Hire an outside sales consulting firm...you guys are not getting it...
    Let The actual sales management team make decisions for the sales force, They are in the trenches and for the most part have actually worked on the floor...Having idiots like Dodenhoff, and Guggemos make decisions for a sales force is self destructive...They are simply just to disconnected from reality...

Insight Response

May 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Your comments are very concerning. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss your concerns.

"Account executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is free food. Which is sad. I honestly don't have anything to say on the good side of things. Everything good at insight is quickly changed

Cons

Company values, management, the people. Desperation seems to take over upper management into making rash decision on a financial basis. The role isn't all the hype that management tries to make it out to be. It's the typical bait and hook method where they bait you in with a first year "guarantee" of an extra 10k in your salary. After that year, you're on your own. They'll say "we expect you to ramp up quickly in the first year and making well beyond your guarantee." This statement could t be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Stop making financial mistakes and cutting commissions or you'll drop so far off the Fortune 500, it'll take another 27 years to get back on it.

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Insight (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its expanding so there will be more jobs

Cons

Very cheap. Health insurance was downgraded to barely there, 401k match downgraded, and our annual free company sweatshirt is now downgraded to a tee shirt you have to pay for

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap - your best employees will leave

"High Turn over Low results"

Current Employee - Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Monday through Friday work schedule. Insight is closed on every major holiday. You have vacation from day one of employment. Good place to start in this industry to make connections .

Cons

Employee hand book is difficult and vague. This lends itself to interpretation and favoritism. For example: Doctor's notes to excuse illness are only required at management discretion. So basically if they believe you are out legitimately you don't need to provide one. There are no guidelines to instruct management when to request this.

Management has little accountability to a philosophy or to HR. Example: your vacation time is allocated twice a year. Half in January and half in July. You must use all vacation time during the year or you lose it. However some managers will allow you to use time if you weren't able to take all your time. Some managers do not allow this.

It is very difficult to transfer departments. Engaging recruiting to assist is non existent even when applying for positions. Most times you will not hear from Recruiting about the position you applied for. There is no working with recruiting to help find a new position. Unless you have your managers blessing you do not move and are not considered for other roles.

There is no management trainee program. Insight provides very little methods to interact with management and does not have a clear management philosophy. The best way to move at Insight is to leave the company for a time and return. You will be more desirable and make more money.

Turn over is extremely high. From management down I would assume the average length of employment at insight would be less that 18 months. For a company that has been around for 20 + years you would expect to see more long term employees.

Advice to Management

Just because you hear someone's voice does not mean you are listening. There is value in people and what they learn over time. Please pay attention. Valuing people is a good thing. You talk about "value add", Yours are your staff.

6. "Do not add this black eye to a resume and for God sakes shop around for an experienced IT solution."

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Contractor - IT Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Insight as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you like time off without pay, being micro managed by sales people, being used as a test Guinea Pig for testing IT Projects, being given orders by folks that don't belong selling cellular phones much less computer systems... Then it's the best place you can hope for.

Cons

The IT Managers are more often than not sales people with little to no grasp whatsoever on the IT Projects tasked them. Also, due to poor management and a not so firm grasp on technology and very under experienced IT management staff and their ability to place individuals in charge that clearly do not belong outside of a 3rd world telemarketing scam. They will cut hours, and eventually drop the project associates after a number of failed attempts all the while still trying to sell a product they can't begin to comprehend. The people in lead IT positions had no business what so ever in any type of IT environment with one and I do mean one exception. To make matters worse, re-creation of tried and true software or the like and charging another for its creation to my knowledge is copyright enfringment . Avoid this place if you can. However... On that same note... If you have little to no computer and or IT experience at all, at the very least they should welcome you with open arms.

Advice to Management

Start giving the people running IT Projects an aptitude test. If they haven't got a clue, find someone that does.

"Account Executive-Specialized division"

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for sales at Insight. They also have a fun atmosphere Impressive relationships with customer base and impressive ability to extract funding & marketing dollars from partners.

Cons

Incredibly stingy in regards to commission, base salary, and benefits. Extremely disorganized with a lack of basic processes or much of a set career path. Very outdated systems (particularly CRM system) and billing methods requiring sales people to spend insane amounts of time on processes and administrative work instead of prospecting, cross selling and taking a consultative sales approach. Extremely corporate & poltiical at times. Company schedules lots of partner trainings and activities that take away sales reps time to sell (Insight charges partners for these trainings so they are profiting immensely just at the expense of their employes time).

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting feedback from reps and their day to day activity if you actually want to learn what would help them improve their numbers and mandate less call blitz and calling on unqualified marketing generated leads that result in few true qualified opportunities. PAY BETTER and you will attract more qualified candidates and reduce turn over. Employee morale will go up and reps will be more productive on the sales floor. Invest in your CRM system if you truly value it and require reps to use it often! Promote VPN access and working remotely.

"Bait and switch"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Insight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches are often provided by the vendors.

Cons

In the interview I was told I would double my base salary within a year if I hit my quota. I've exceeded my quota and will not come close to making my base salary. Unfortunately management gave false expectations to everyone on the team.

Benefits are horrible. Healthcare is a joke.

I would only suggest working at Insight if you've had no technical experience and can live off your base salary.

Advice to Management

My advice to management....be honest and set proper expectations for your employees.
    A good manager works to solve problems with their employees. Forwarding emails to someone else (passing the buck) doesn't solve anything.

"They never fail to disappoint..."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. I enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

Management has no clue due to promoting within the good old boys club. Poor benefits. They talk about wanting to retain employees but do the opposite through their actions.
    The "fun commitee" tries REALLY hard but has no company sponsorship and support. Unfortunately EVERYTHING is about the bottom line. They don't consider employees as an asset.

Advice to Management

You have talent and experience within the company. Utilize it.
    If you'd invest in your employees it will come back to you.

"Should have listened to warnings"

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telecommute options, teammates. The "minions" try to do the best job they can and actually care.

Cons

Horrendously understaffed, poor middle to upped management. They will remain understaffed until they absolutely have to hire more. They will require whomever is left to perform their duties as well as everyone else who has quit. The attitude seems to be to run people into the ground until they quit and then do the same to the next in line.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good ole' buys group that's developed from executives bringing in their friends from former employers. It will be the downfall of the company. Allowing these people to basically BS their way to get bonuses or whatever is ridiculous. You are a publicly traded company yet if the shareholders knew how poorly things were running and maintained they would run away from the company.