Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"Boys club"

Former Employee - Business Development in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, most people were friendly, lenient vacation time

Cons

Despite having won awards for women in tech, advancement and development is reserved for the male employees. Employees who have been with the company for 20+ years get away with serious HR misconduct and inappropriate comments. Communication is seriously lacking when it comes to manager/employee conversations. Marketing team has no urgency or guidance due to inadequate leaders.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work better. Open communication lines when it comes to serious issues. Value loyalty over monetary gain.

2. "Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Conway, AR

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work culture. Very fun, young, modern, and always training you on the latest and greatest enterprise technology. The people and most managers are really great & are willing to help you succeed as best they can.

Cons

As an I.T. reseller people expect to be able to purchase all manufacturers through you. This site in Conway has a unique contract with HPE so you don't get credit for anything you sell that is a direct competitor (Dell, Lenovo, Cisco, etc.). As a new employee in June 2016 I was expected to be ramped up to a big time seller in a year, which is very difficult when you are given all white space accounts and have a limit as to what you can sell.

Jun 29, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for recognizing our great culture and teammates. As you mentioned, we want you to succeed in all aspects at Insight. Can you email us at glassdoorfeedback@insight.com and see how we can... More

"They are always hiring Service Technicians"

Former Employee - Services Technician in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Services Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Cafeteria on site wasn't terrible, lunch places around there weren't bad.

- Very difficult to get fired, short of actual incompetence

- Vendor sponsored stuff was nice.

- Paycheck always came on time.

Cons

The pay was awful, making about 75 percent of industry standard for similar work, I had firends working in other NOCs making significantly more than me and my peers to start. Inflexible starting pay even to technicians that had certifications and significant experience (you made $15 an hour to start, and after 90 days you get a 10 percent bump). The job feels meaningless and doing a good job often went unnoticed. The description says "promotes from within"; though in a year I only saw one tech promoted to engineer, the rest were outside hires. Benefits package had one very high deductible health benefit. All the office rules were written for 9-5ers, with no thought considered for those that had non-traditional working schedules. NOC had a points based attendance system that was not enforced even on members of the same group (Service Desk/NOC).

Very low pay led to very talented techs leaving for better positions, while Insight wouldn't even consider trying to match. It led to essentially a revolving door. Management was inconsistent, and often hadcrossed wires in communication. Managers from other groups were constantly in the NOC telling people what to do, even if it wasn't their responsibility.

Advice to Management

Restructure everything that you've done. New HR, new management, new support staff. Insight bought their NOC group (Calence) from Avnet but didn't really integrate it. Nothing had been changed and everything was being run "business as usual". Calence hadn't changed their pay scale since the beginning of the company, as I am sure everyone knows, inflation has occred in the last 17 years.

Insight brags consistently off of being a Fortune 500 company, but didn't pay their "crown jewel" NOC like it, then asked us to rate them a "Best Place in Phoenix to Work" after slashing benefits. Get realistic, you can't whip people and expect them to thank you for it.

Jun 8, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Your feedback is surprising since we don't hear this. We're sorry you ran into this and know this is not typical of Insight. If there is something we can do, please email us at... More

"Not a bad gig"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture and values are shared and spread everywhere

Cons

Senior management is ran by operational people and not sales people. They have no desire to pay. Sales people are given higher quotas to keep from making money.

Advice to Management

The few people that actually sell are keeping the company afloat. Keep them happy and pay them, quit giving crumbs to the people who can't sell.

"Not what I was expecting"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Conway, AR

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity is there to make money

Cons

Pay structure is horrible. Once and IF you meet your quarterly quota they will raise it so high that it will be almost impossible to meet it again. They also throw out performance plans left and right which is not beneficial to the employees at all

Advice to Management

less micro managing !!. You are not busting your butt's off for hours a day driving and making new business we are.

May 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Yes, we agree, at Conway there is definitely opportunities to succeed. Compensation plans do change based on the market, but hopefully to everyone's benefit. Regarding the micromanaging, this is... More

"Sales Engineer"

I worked at Insight full-time

Pros

The People are fantastic and top notch.

Cons

Too many kingdoms. Every kingdom has its own agenda. Working together is an after thought.

Advice to Management

Stop treating Field Sales as a evil step child. There are a number of great people outside of Chicago and Phoenix. Let them of their short leash.

May 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We couldn't agree more, our teammates are the IT factor for Insight. We do not want our field sales to ever feel this way. If there is something specific we can help with, please email us at... More

"Great job for the short term, but do not make a career out of Insight."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a lot of autonomy and got to work on a variety of different things. I ended up working with just about every department in the company in some fashion. This exposure was good on the job education on how a large international business is run. If you are looking for an entry level job to get your feet wet in a corporate setting, this is a great company. Just don't make a career out of it and make sure you leave after no more than 3 years. Any more is just a waste.

Cons

I had an obfuscated title and job description. If a more main stream title and job description had been used, it would have been obvious that I was paid below market rate. I don't think that was on purpose, but I lost income due to this. At one point I was paid under the minimum rate that HR had set for my position.

My supervisor had no idea what I did and I took directions from others in management that I did not report to. I was not given any mentor-ship regarding my career path. When I had identified another department that I thought was more along my career path, management actively blocked my movement and told me that they were protecting me, because the other team had bad management. Assuming my management team was honest, it is a terrible spot to be in knowing you are not where you should be and the department you should go to is in chaos.

I was frequently worked to exhaustion and took massive hits to my overall health. There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service. Work had to get done no matter the cost. The hard hours were not even recognized and no thank you's were given. Many times I had worked 70+ hour weeks and even got scolded for not getting enough done.

Advice to Management

I was doing a job that other teams either did or were supposed to do. Since I did not report up through the correct structure, I didn't get the support I needed. Ensure you have the right departmental organization with the right managers in place, along with job descriptions that reflect what people actually do. Finally, try to get as close to market rate as you can in terms of pay. At the very least, if you are going to pay under, be within 10%. Finding out you are more than 20% under market rate makes people feel they are not valued.

May 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Regarding pay, we do review and adjust our compensation levels across roles and geographies to ensure they are competitive. We strive to ensure we are positioned well to reward our teammates for... More

"Decent culture but NO work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule (ability to telecommute)

Cons

Zero work/life balance
    Non-competitive pay ($20K UNDER industry standard)
    Project delivery dates are dictated by Management (and not planned based on resource availability and other priorities)
    Limited opportunity for advancement (unless you go into management or change departments)
    Continuous decline in benefits (increase in medical premiums and reduction of cell phone allowance)
    Raises do not cover cost of living increases

Advice to Management

Review your portfolio and update your priorities: Teammates are killing themselves and working ridiculous hours in order to meet unrealistic deadlines.

Share the wealth: When the company is doing well, bonuses should be shared with ALL employees (not just Management).

"Don't believe everything you see..."

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Like most big companies, depending who and which team you work for determines your mood.

Cons

Very, very political environment. Especially in support organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep it real. Keep your people humble.

"Good Learning Experience/Bad exit"

Former Employee - Field Account Executive
    Former Employee - Field Account Executive

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Services and Software offerings. Great reach and good portfolio, The CEO has good vision for services to enhance the business.

Cons

Cronyism at its finest. Middle management is more about advancing careers than doing their job. Lots of red tape and division amongst business segments. Compensation is on the low end of the spectrum. If you are not one of the chosen you get zero support. HR needs to remove the "H" as they are only there to support management. Reasons for my exit: Received an additional 700k in quota because another client not even in my territory stopped purchasing. Asked how they determined my quota and was refused to be shown by my executive team and by HR. My manager quit and my Director would pressure my peers to gather information from me as he was trying to push me out because I called him out him front of his bosses. Asked HR to provide me data on multiple occasions and they refused to show me. It was a bittersweet exit as I spent 9 years of my life there but the direction of my division has been steadily sinking because of the lack of differentiation in the market.

Advice to Management

Figure a way to onboard new technologies faster

If a director destroys a relationship with a fortune 10 company it's probably better to fire him than promote him

Keep adding to the portfolio of services