Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Work/life balance is exceptional depending on dept (in 20 reviews)

• This place is a good place to start your career (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 21 reviews)

• s a high premium, high deductible, low coverage HSA (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Insight is a great as you are !"

Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Build a business or even an empire, with no risk. Your success is determined by your work ethic, determination and willingness to grow. If you demonstrate your commitment to the business and your clients, the sky is really the limit.

Cons

Only in fairy-tales, and maybe at Google is everything perfect. Your success at Insight will be limited by your individual resourcefulness, and ability to make meaningful connections with clients, partners and internal stakeholders. Do not count on good fortune or handouts to be successful, to get lasting success, you have to make it on your own and you will be all the better for doing so.

Advice to Management

Focus on empowering and enabling trustworthy, tried and true teammates. The only way to treat people fairly is actually to treat everyone differently. Why ? because everyone is different. Also, we can not spend enough time in the day to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness. Being better than the competition does not mean being the best we can be.

Insight Response

Jan 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Wow! Your review gives a great picture of what it is to work at Insight. Yes, success relies on the teammate and the supporting management we have. Thank you so much for your review. We wish you ... More

"Not a good environment"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Its a great place to break your teeth and get an education in this industry. Its a good place for people that want to start a new career or kids just out of school. They do have some pretty good benefits. There is an employer match for your 401K and after 3 years you get 3 weeks off.

Cons

Large organization where there is alot of disconnect. Policies change weekly depending on the mood of management. Very difficult to get an answer or to get someone to help or make a decision. Most of management consists of sales people that were not able to make it as sales reps and it was either find another position or get out. The good ol'boy network is in effect here and is very well recognized by the human resource department in fact their words were "this is the good ol boy network and nobody can change that. The old v.p. of HR Kaylene Moss tried but, couldn’t” This Good Ol' boy way seems to be the fastest way to the top. Qualifications are secondary. Compensation is one of the biggest issues here. The requirements to make money change almost monthly. Sometimes its based on GP and then some months its Revenue. If you dont meet revenue goals they actually take money back from you quarterly and just back it out of your monthly check. If there is a big hit they do not make arrangements with you to pay it off in reasonable chunks they just take the whole thing regardless if your check would come out to a negative. There were times that you would do a commission adjustment because someone made a mistake but, they werent concerned with that mistake since it didnt affect their paycheck. The commission adjustment would ONLY be looked at on the very last day for a possible approval and if they found one T not crossed it would move over to the next month for approval. There were some sales reps chasing significant amounts of their hard earned money for as many as 6 months and even some more severe cases. You cannot trust this company to pay you honestly. You must check the commission for every single order that you enter to make sure that they havent made a mistake. They put a house load on everything you sell and they state in their policy that the load will be between 1%-3.39% depending on how many touches they have to the product. I found numerous errors there where they would sneak in a 10% load which would significantly reduce your commission amount and they never touched the product at all in fact it was drop shipped from the mfg straight to the customer so according to their policy there would be no load. It took them months to fix that, put a 3.39% load on and to pay me back. This company is not looking out for their employees. They are trying to make as much money as possible and at the expense of their sales people

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people. Hire based on a persons ability to do the job and not because hes cool to drink with. When hiring within the company you may want to look at people with a proven ability not a failed attempt at sales and again hes cool to drink with. Listen more to what your sales people have to say. These are the people that are responsible for those Mercedes and BMW's that you have parked in covered parking up front not to mention those huge salaries and houses. The turnover is tremendous and its making your competitors rich. Maybe you should concentrate on how to make your employees happy and if not thats ok because you guys are a great training facility otherwise

"Update your Resume!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

The training can be detailed, if you get hired at the right time. Beyond that there isn't much on the "good" side.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand what is going on in their own offices. Every decision that is made negatively impacts the employees. Not a friendly environment. Upper management treats their staff poorly, and doesn't understand the needs of their staff. The main office hands down edicts that appear to be pulled out of thin air, that impact the business very negatively. I would not recommend Insight to anyone, business or employee. Update your resume if you are at Insight now.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

"Insight (NSIT) as a place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

In my experience, micro-management was not an issue unless there was a real problem with a partner. Most of my experience in my early career with Insight was with knowledgeable, intelligent managers who pushed to achieve goals based on honesty and merit.

Cons

Internal politics, unqualified people promoted to positions of management (no degree beyond a high school diploma or any skills at being a manager other than dictating ideas via email from behind a desk), poor communication between upper management and employees and shrinking benefits. A turnover rate that is over 40% per year and a reliance on temporary employees, many of whom prefer to leave than stay at Insight.

Advice to Management

Communicate honestly, with integrity to your employees. C-Level employees need to get out of their offices and engage with employees to get a transparent picture of what is happening "on the floor."

"Regretful"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ

Pros

There are literally no positive aspects in working for this company short of just having a job to make your bills.

Cons

Terrible benefits package, 401k match is low, health care insurance costs to employee very are high. This company is just plain evil, managements compensation is based on screwing over low level employees and on their ability to send jobs to outsourcing 'partners'.

Advice to Management

Insight started as a call center operation to sell hard drives on a low margin. That same cheap call center mentality still drives managements attitude and incentives. The best thing management could do is jump into an icy cold lake and take a deep breath.

"3 years of near hell"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Some good people, great opportunities if you are Mormon, I know a lot of reps that make great money, but you have to be able to survive 3-5 years of very little pay and volitile sales until you can build your book.

Cons

Terrible middle management, endless useless campaigns, metrics based on how many clients you called about the topic of the week, slow order entry terrible CRM system, true call center no freedom to visit clients and build relationships, I have witnessed Insight pull major accounts from seasoned reps for "Market Purity"

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You claim to make attempts of this but nothing is never done.. Part of listening is TAKING ACTION. Ken is making some good changes but they have a loooooooooong way to go

"Disorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent health benefits
    nice co-workers
    reasonable hours
    Plenty of training

Cons

You never know from one day to the next what across the board changes management will make with no ryme or reason. Management lays-off good hardworking employees for no other reason then to line their own pockets and keep useless middle management people. They promise, then back peddle.

Advice to Management

Stop being hypocritical and lying to the employees.

"Cult Culture lots of exploitation, Insight has no perception of success"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

as a sales rep you can earn 6 figures but only if you last

Cons

they favor a certain kind of person Rhymes with Norman.
    No salary increases, it actually decreases as your tenure grows
    commission payouts constantly change, rendering more hard work and less income. Many of the successful reps do not hit their goals because of their outrageous expectations,
    Prepare to be engulfed with unprofessional emails chains, unnecessary and redundant trainings, meaningless meetings
    micromanagement. They will time your bio - breaks and metrics are impossible.
    Few hours in the day actually spent selling
    poor culture
    no diversity
    high turnover

Advice to Management

Diversify. Diversify. Diversify! Stop hiring specific people irrelevant to their work history. Stop the nepotism, destroy the poor culture, listen to your reps, more indians less chiefs,

"Please don't do it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

I can't think of one right now.

Cons

I've seen the reviews that you can come and go as you please, which is true for sales reps, but as for the rest of us it is sometimes an option but believe me, it comes with a huge price! It’s also not something you can do as you please or by any regular schedule. It’s given as perks sometimes for a questionable job well done, but please read on. The only way up is out! There is absolutely no training offered on career advancement or common ethical business practices. Pay cuts are not unusual and employees are under so much stress that leaves for stress related illness is a regular occurrence. It’s a rare occasion that I see a smile on the face of a corporate employee, they walk through the halls barely speaking to each other given the stressful environment; it's by far the grayest place I've ever worked!

Disastrous financial practices that need to be creatively shown to clients and the pressure is on employees to continue on with the same disastrous financial practices that got this company into hot water when they had to restate earnings not that long ago. If employees don't go along with Insight's sketchy approach to working with client funds they are threatened and harassed. Their method of creating invoices to increase stock prices up is deplorable! Insight has been trying to get on the Best Companies to Work For list and it makes me greatly concerned for anybody that would consider putting the required time and energy and huge risk of changing employment, relocation, etc., to become employed with this company!

The benefits might as well not be any at all! If you pay for the 'all the bells and whistles plan' that costs a bunch to be a part of, you'll soon come to find yourself with large suprising bills for things that most insurance plans cover. They're pushing to get everyone on the high deductible plan, but that offers in essence just coverage for huge problemsome medical issues. It's not a good plan for those who would like their familes to get regular wellness checks or basic illness treatment such as those for sinus infections, allergies, asthma, or even hurt limbs, etc.

In this job market, we cannot afford to not to be extremely careful with where we invest our time and our energy! Please, do yourself quite possibly the greatest favor of your life and seek employment with a company that cares about its employees and where your good energy and longevity will be rewarded not wasted!

Advice to Management

Take pride in Insight to make it an organization well worth changing jobs for!

"No advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than the free stuff they give away there isn't much to like about this company.

Cons

- I am severely overqualified for my position but cannot advance to a new position because I am not Mormon or an attractive female.
    - You will have to work with people who are barely capable of chewing their own food let alone being in an advanced position that requires some actual thought and planning to do.
    - They constantly push us to sell services and labs but the team that runs that and does the pricing for us is a bunch of inept idiots. They transferred someone from their labs in Chicago to help the reps but she has absolutely no idea what she is doing and should be working as a janitor before being in the role she is in.
    - The "trainings" they make you go to several times per week are redundant and run by people who have no idea what we are supposed to sell.
    - They make us push special products and services daily and require us to call our clients to try and push these things when it makes no sense for us to contact them.

Advice to Management

Management needs to reassess their jobs and realize that they should clean house and get rid of the people who are in the wrong positions. They need to get rid of all the people addicted to drugs and randomly drug test people because they are putting other employee's jobs in danger. Management needs to hire people who are qualified for the positions they have rather than putting anyone with a pulse, nice rack, or cute face in a position they are incapable of handling.