Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Work/life balance is exceptional depending on dept (in 21 reviews)

• This place is a good place to start your career (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"Sales Engineer"

I worked at Insight full-time

Pros

The People are fantastic and top notch.

Cons

Too many kingdoms. Every kingdom has its own agenda. Working together is an after thought.

Advice to Management

Stop treating Field Sales as a evil step child. There are a number of great people outside of Chicago and Phoenix. Let them of their short leash.

"Has potential but.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits is really the only highlight I can honestly say, with them exception of how some employees (non management) will go out of their way to help.

Cons

I worked their for years and although the company has great potential, they don't practice what they preach. I've seen countless employees leave due to bullying/belittling (which leads to the fear of retribution), or employees dismissed because they don't tow the line as expected (i.e.: put up or shut up). I left on my own terms and was viewed in a high regard. But seeing how some are treated was a little off setting, and the reason why I left. I disliked seeing talent wasted. Even with these reviews, they continue to allow some management to be toxic which makes the employee not feel welcomed. Their values do not reflect the reality of what goes on there, sadly.

Advice to Management

Enough with the ego's - You work in a professional environment, and should empower every employee that you work with..not pick and choose, let alone single them out to feel like an outcast.

"Great job for the short term, but do not make a career out of Insight."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a lot of autonomy and got to work on a variety of different things. I ended up working with just about every department in the company in some fashion. This exposure was good on the job education on how a large international business is run. If you are looking for an entry level job to get your feet wet in a corporate setting, this is a great company. Just don't make a career out of it and make sure you leave after no more than 3 years. Any more is just a waste.

Cons

I had an obfuscated title and job description. If a more main stream title and job description had been used, it would have been obvious that I was paid below market rate. I don't think that was on purpose, but I lost income due to this. At one point I was paid under the minimum rate that HR had set for my position.

My supervisor had no idea what I did and I took directions from others in management that I did not report to. I was not given any mentor-ship regarding my career path. When I had identified another department that I thought was more along my career path, management actively blocked my movement and told me that they were protecting me, because the other team had bad management. Assuming my management team was honest, it is a terrible spot to be in knowing you are not where you should be and the department you should go to is in chaos.

I was frequently worked to exhaustion and took massive hits to my overall health. There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service. Work had to get done no matter the cost. The hard hours were not even recognized and no thank you's were given. Many times I had worked 70+ hour weeks and even got scolded for not getting enough done.

Advice to Management

I was doing a job that other teams either did or were supposed to do. Since I did not report up through the correct structure, I didn't get the support I needed. Ensure you have the right departmental organization with the right managers in place, along with job descriptions that reflect what people actually do. Finally, try to get as close to market rate as you can in terms of pay. At the very least, if you are going to pay under, be within 10%. Finding out you are more than 20% under market rate makes people feel they are not valued.

"Decent culture but NO work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule (ability to telecommute)

Cons

Zero work/life balance
    Non-competitive pay ($20K UNDER industry standard)
    Project delivery dates are dictated by Management (and not planned based on resource availability and other priorities)
    Limited opportunity for advancement (unless you go into management or change departments)
    Continuous decline in benefits (increase in medical premiums and reduction of cell phone allowance)
    Raises do not cover cost of living increases

Advice to Management

Review your portfolio and update your priorities: Teammates are killing themselves and working ridiculous hours in order to meet unrealistic deadlines.

Share the wealth: When the company is doing well, bonuses should be shared with ALL employees (not just Management).

"Don't believe everything you see..."

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Like most big companies, depending who and which team you work for determines your mood.

Cons

Very, very political environment. Especially in support organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep it real. Keep your people humble.

"Senior HR Manager"

Pros

large number of volunteer organizations benefited from Insight Canada teammate efforts

Cons

pressure cooker environment for many junior-level Teammates

Advice to Management

be less intimidating and more supportive, work at motivating, training, and all the things that could lead to lower attrition rates.

Mar 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you feel this way as it’s not the typical feedback that we generally get from our teammates. We understand sales is not for everyone which is why we ... More

"Manager of Programs"

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Insight is a fun place to work. Always having in office celebrations, blood drives, vendor sponsored activities. Great for millennials needing a "Safe" no blame environment. Good for training.

Cons

Inconsistent environment between offices. Office have cliques making it hard to work across them. No accountability or desire to increase quality or performance. While there is training in ITIL, PMP, and technology e.g. CISCO / NetApp etc. ITIL and PMP principles not implemented. Company go to market model is immature. While competing in a segment with Unisys, NTT (formerly Dell Services), and the former EDS Service groups, Insight does not have the cohesion to deliver global solutions. Insight is at best a multi-national entity with little synergy across US, EMEA, and APAC. No real presence from Panama down.

Advice to Management

Learn from the past. Even if the Insight model is not the traditional outsource model the service and delivery processes are the same. You must have a consistent global portfolio to be able to survive in the market your have entered.

"Good Learning Experience/Bad exit"

Former Employee - Field Account Executive
    Former Employee - Field Account Executive

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Services and Software offerings. Great reach and good portfolio, The CEO has good vision for services to enhance the business.

Cons

Cronyism at its finest. Middle management is more about advancing careers than doing their job. Lots of red tape and division amongst business segments. Compensation is on the low end of the spectrum. If you are not one of the chosen you get zero support. HR needs to remove the "H" as they are only there to support management. Reasons for my exit: Received an additional 700k in quota because another client not even in my territory stopped purchasing. Asked how they determined my quota and was refused to be shown by my executive team and by HR. My manager quit and my Director would pressure my peers to gather information from me as he was trying to push me out because I called him out him front of his bosses. Asked HR to provide me data on multiple occasions and they refused to show me. It was a bittersweet exit as I spent 9 years of my life there but the direction of my division has been steadily sinking because of the lack of differentiation in the market.

Advice to Management

Figure a way to onboard new technologies faster

If a director destroys a relationship with a fortune 10 company it's probably better to fire him than promote him

Keep adding to the portfolio of services

"Poor policies drive poor execution"

Current Contractor - Team Lead
    Current Contractor - Team Lead

I have been working at Insight as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

* Reasonable pay for industry standard

Cons

* Poor hiring practices result in unqualified (technically or professionally) team members
    * Pressure for the bottom line results in attempts to do work cheaply rather than well
    * Lack of appreciation for "off-the-clock" time results in poor morale
    * Over-management is rampant, with each manager having an unclear scope of control
    * Contradictory guidance is routine (partially due to over-management)
    * Job roles and expectations differ heavily from information given during recruiting and interview process
    * Concerns and issues, when raised with management, are responded to with bullying techniques
    * Toxic leadership at lower levels is unapologetic about errors for which they are responsible

Advice to Management

* Spend more time considering the effect that policies are having on employees
    * Consider the net cost of recruiting unqualified people to roles.
    * Consider the value that good employees bring to the table, and allow that to drive other decisions.
    * Be prepared to take smaller profit margins in order to realize expectations set during hiring process.
    * Remove managers who suggest leaving the company as an alternative to behaving ethically.

Feb 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We're not sure this is the same company because we don’t have team leads that are contractors. These are pretty serious concerns and we haven't heard this type of feedback before. It doesn’t sound ... More

"Management nightmare"

Former Employee - Services Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Services Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Insight full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who are very helpful. Opportunity to learn new technologies hands on.

Cons

Poor benefits, nearly non-existant 401k match - 2 percent with1 per cent service fee. Good managers don't last long if they give feedback to assignments - poor managers last forever if they don't dare to give feedback to superiors. If a Dept meets their quota, a horrible manager will be defended to the bitter end. Cronies thrive despite lack of talent. Highly talented people are overlooked if they don't play the game.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback and don't brush off employee concerns with sound bites. Be aware teammates are often pressured by supervisors to give high marks on employee satisfaction surveys although they actually feel otherwise. I gave low marks on the satisfaction survey and was subject to retaliation.

Nov 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Leader

This is serious feedback and we do not foster this kind of environment. We would appreciate it if you can share more details and please email us at glassdoorfeedback@insight.com. Your review has been ... More