Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

Insight Reviews

Updated August 22, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"The sales cycle here is like an unfolding lawn chair...Clunky..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many pros that do not outweigh the cons to consider before working here...Although there is some opportunity for advancement, and many opportunity's to make sales. There is alot of opportunity for frustration and low moral...There are opportunities to network all IT partners and create lasting relationships, if you are looking for only a 45 hour work week and make your 40-50 a year, and go home, this may be the place for you...If you desire a place where you can start a career and grow this could be a good place, just not since I have been there...

Cons

The main problem with Insight is they capitalizing on your hard work, they do not pay you market rate or on time..They change you pay structure like changing underwear. You partner spiffs get processed through teams that are underpaid and jealous so they can take up to 6 months to hit your account...This reason alone is cause to look for an employer that has Integrity...I have never worked for a company who has they're own self interests more at heart than here, I will not try to further my career here and will be moving on very soon...Unless you kiss up to your manager you will not get ahead here...Your day is spent trying to get sales or new clients, then you have the metrics and asks...I have never wasted so much of my time doing administrative duties...I thought this was a sales position...You are stuck adding opportunities in the Client link system, which is a CRM (SAP) that for a 5 billion dollar company is just plain ludicrous...The decisions that are passed down to the sales floor have almost a disconnected from reality feel...

Advice to Management

GET RID OF CLIENT LINK...This is the main reason I will be moving on...
    PAY YOUR SALES FORCE...on time not 6 months later...
    Hire an outside sales consulting firm...you guys are not getting it...
    Let The actual sales management team make decisions for the sales force, They are in the trenches and for the most part have actually worked on the floor...Having idiots like Dodenhoff, and Guggemos make decisions for a sales force is self destructive...They are simply just to disconnected from reality...

Insight Response

May 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Your comments are very concerning. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss your concerns.

2. "Wheel Spinning"

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Insight as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview Process was challenging and meaningful

Cons

A lot of backstabbing and poor communication

"Age discrimination and high politics"

Pros

If you are fresh out of college, then it's a great place to start a career.

Cons

Being a former employee over 5+ years, i will be honest...the age discrimination is unreal. I relocated 2x on my own dollar. I had to gain outside awards to be even recognized internally... I have gone weeks unpaid as a salaried employee based off the company caring less about their people and more about their stock holders. I was promoted...but with pennies. Literally, every year I was promoted, but they had a policy they would not increase over 10%....so I struggled living on my own with zero backing from anyone. It's insulting, gross and sad. After leaving, I realized how badly I was overworked and underpaid. The management is always changing and forever a politics game. . . I say this because I could have stayed and kept climbing up, but not at the expense of my morals. The abuse of charging partners and lack of strategy is appalling and not what I signed up for. The office is more like a high school than a business, just everyone running around talking with very limited execution

Advice to Management

Be apart of the solution, not the problem.

Insight Response

Dec 21, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Insight evaluates all reviews and we take the feedback very seriously. We recognize the importance of pay to our teammates and we continually evaluate our compensation structure to stay competitive... More

"Account executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is free food. Which is sad. I honestly don't have anything to say on the good side of things. Everything good at insight is quickly changed

Cons

Company values, management, the people. Desperation seems to take over upper management into making rash decision on a financial basis. The role isn't all the hype that management tries to make it out to be. It's the typical bait and hook method where they bait you in with a first year "guarantee" of an extra 10k in your salary. After that year, you're on your own. They'll say "we expect you to ramp up quickly in the first year and making well beyond your guarantee." This statement could t be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Stop making financial mistakes and cutting commissions or you'll drop so far off the Fortune 500, it'll take another 27 years to get back on it.

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Insight (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its expanding so there will be more jobs

Cons

Very cheap. Health insurance was downgraded to barely there, 401k match downgraded, and our annual free company sweatshirt is now downgraded to a tee shirt you have to pay for

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap - your best employees will leave

"I would not recommend at any point in your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Insight full-time

Pros

As with any place you will find a number of motivated and caring individuals at Insight.

Cons

No amount of motivation or individual effort will overcome incapable leadership.

Individuals in leadership positions have no strategic plan for the future. The standard plan is to scramble to react to bad situations that continually repeat themselves and wonder why the same thing keeps happening. An even worse and common scenario is where leadership does not see that there is anything wrong with the current state of the union.

Benefits are far below what competing companies can provide. 401k matching is practically non-existent.

Advice to Management

Start over with new leadership across the board

"Remote Noc Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great for introduction to the world of networking technologies for the most part. A great amount of work relevant certifications are paid for. Open door policy with NOC supervisors and lower management.

Cons

Upper level management makes decisions that hinders the progress and promotion of subordinates. In house cafe is over priced. Noc is not included in company events and instead gets leftovers brought into the operations room instead of throwing it away, only to still be there, stinking the next morning. If you are not a sales person and where a technician shirt, people avoid speaking to you. Pay starts at 15 dollars an hour and pay increases are considered sparingly. Service delivery managers brag to managed clients about not letting NOC techs make configurations to devices and instead only allow Engineers (tier 2) that opportunity. While some engineers are really cool and eager to help and educate, most are secretive and backbiting blaming their mistakes on NOC technicians. Turnover is high due to low pay and lack of advancement opportunities. When upper management was asked about pay, the response was stated that it was due to "budget constraints".

Advice to Management

Get with the program. Listen to your employees and pay your services techs more. While sponsoring certs is great, most techs can't afford to stay around if they cant pay their bills. Offer some kind of college grant or sponsorship dedicated to information technology. Realize that the NOC is more than the stepchild of the company and that those techs need recognition and a sense of true belonging to the Insight family. Allow the company culture to adapt to change so it may be current and more mature.

"High Turn over Low results"

Current Employee - Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Monday through Friday work schedule. Insight is closed on every major holiday. You have vacation from day one of employment. Good place to start in this industry to make connections .

Cons

Employee hand book is difficult and vague. This lends itself to interpretation and favoritism. For example: Doctor's notes to excuse illness are only required at management discretion. So basically if they believe you are out legitimately you don't need to provide one. There are no guidelines to instruct management when to request this.

Management has little accountability to a philosophy or to HR. Example: your vacation time is allocated twice a year. Half in January and half in July. You must use all vacation time during the year or you lose it. However some managers will allow you to use time if you weren't able to take all your time. Some managers do not allow this.

It is very difficult to transfer departments. Engaging recruiting to assist is non existent even when applying for positions. Most times you will not hear from Recruiting about the position you applied for. There is no working with recruiting to help find a new position. Unless you have your managers blessing you do not move and are not considered for other roles.

There is no management trainee program. Insight provides very little methods to interact with management and does not have a clear management philosophy. The best way to move at Insight is to leave the company for a time and return. You will be more desirable and make more money.

Turn over is extremely high. From management down I would assume the average length of employment at insight would be less that 18 months. For a company that has been around for 20 + years you would expect to see more long term employees.

Advice to Management

Just because you hear someone's voice does not mean you are listening. There is value in people and what they learn over time. Please pay attention. Valuing people is a good thing. You talk about "value add", Yours are your staff.

"Account Executive"

Pros

My coworkers are nice and friendly.

Cons

Chaotic and unrealistic expectations with no understanding of Federal Contracts nor procurement.

"Reading these reviews make me laugh!"

Former Employee - Arch in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Arch in Tempe, AZ

Pros

No Pros, now that I have been gone from Insight for 2 months at a much better paying job with more reasonability to help succeed. I watch other that are leaving have the exact same complaints that I did...low pay, no growth, and middle management that waste space. Laying people off because of their failed management practice.

Cons

I recently talked to a friend who is still there and instead of back filling the people that have left they just keep on piling on to the ones that are hanging around. Not sure why you would do that in an IT industry job market that is exploding. Oh I know why fear of being sued based on your non-compete "what a joke" Do not be scared go get a career and leave the job behind. Service org is disjointed and are think as thieves if you are not from one of the last major acquisition of Ensync then you will not have a chance to move up.

Advice to Management

Ken L you would do your self a favor and get rid of the whole services org and start over...I sitting in meeting with vendors and customers and when Insight is mention around services executive cringe.