Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

Insight Reviews

Updated August 10, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"Account Executive-Specialized division"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for sales at Insight. They also have a fun atmosphere Impressive relationships with customer base and impressive ability to extract funding & marketing dollars from partners.

Cons

Incredibly stingy in regards to commission, base salary, and benefits. Extremely disorganized with a lack of basic processes or much of a set career path. Very outdated systems (particularly CRM system) and billing methods requiring sales people to spend insane amounts of time on processes and administrative work instead of prospecting, cross selling and taking a consultative sales approach. Extremely corporate & poltiical at times. Company schedules lots of partner trainings and activities that take away sales reps time to sell (Insight charges partners for these trainings so they are profiting immensely just at the expense of their employes time).

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting feedback from reps and their day to day activity if you actually want to learn what would help them improve their numbers and mandate less call blitz and calling on unqualified marketing generated leads that result in few true qualified opportunities. PAY BETTER and you will attract more qualified candidates and reduce turn over. Employee morale will go up and reps will be more productive on the sales floor. Invest in your CRM system if you truly value it and require reps to use it often! Promote VPN access and working remotely.

"Overall they do not care about their employees."

Former Employee - Technical Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The Pay was good.
    The time off was good.
    They had some really good people working for them.
    Not much else was.

Cons

They do not give the training needed to succeeded.
    Not clear on the expectations.
    They terminated me because I took all of my vacation for a trip with my wife.
    They care more about image than getting the job done right
    Upper management had no involvement.

"If you absolutely need a job for now but not a long term solution"

Pros

I can't think of very many pros except for some of the people that I worked with.

Cellphone reimbursement but my role required accessibility at all hours of the day and night which limited work/life balance.

Cons

I am glad that I got an opportunity to work for Insight as I have learned how NOT to run a business. The company needs to focus on a singular directions (changes are announced one day and updated the next) and seriously consider having ethics training for ALL especially the senior leadership team (I have witnessed conversations that question the humanity of leadership). Turnover is horrible and there is not much to attract the talent with compensation and benefits lacking way behind similar companies.

Advice to Management

With the exception of the CTO, I would recommend starting over with a strong ethical strategic leadership team focus on driving innovation and sales growth. Reward talent and they will make a difference.

"RUN!!"

Former Employee - Services Technician in Hanover Park, IL
    Former Employee - Services Technician in Hanover Park, IL

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- My department's management was VERY good about using time off for family related things (Doctor's appt, kid's things, etc).
    - Loved the people I worked with.

Cons

- Management engages in questionably un-ethical practices (out right lying to clients and potential clients)
    - Pay rate is TERRIBLE by industry standards.
    - No appreciation for the contributions of the employees.

Advice to Management

-Pay better.
    - Take some REAL ethics training courses!

"Bait and switch"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Insight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunches are often provided by the vendors.

Cons

In the interview I was told I would double my base salary within a year if I hit my quota. I've exceeded my quota and will not come close to making my base salary. Unfortunately management gave false expectations to everyone on the team.

Benefits are horrible. Healthcare is a joke.

I would only suggest working at Insight if you've had no technical experience and can live off your base salary.

Advice to Management

My advice to management....be honest and set proper expectations for your employees.
    A good manager works to solve problems with their employees. Forwarding emails to someone else (passing the buck) doesn't solve anything.

"Anonymous Former Employee for 10+ Years"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Executives have moved from the "good ole boy" mentality to the current century. They offer a TON of training, but you do have to go to HR and ask for it if you want anything beyond "new hire" training.

Cons

Salaries and benefits WAY below industry standards. Favoritism is rampant - I know of someone who got the largest annual raise on the team because he was buying a house and "needed the money more than anybody else did." Executives PRETEND to care about their employees, but all they really care about is the bottom line. They set nearly impossible goals, offering incredible rewards - and when the employees make those goals...they hire a bunch of new execs who don't honor the promises put in place by the former ones. Morale is the worst I have ever seen at any company I have ever worked at. After 10+ years of great performance reviews and not a single negative one, I got a new boss who didn't like me for no reason in particular. He told me his second week there that if I didn't quit I would be fired. When I asked him why, he named a few people who told him they didn't like me personally - absolutely nothing to do with my job performance. I was fired because of gossip.

Advice to Management

Employees are your greatest asset, not a bunch of warm bodies (as one former Insight Executive called us.) Employee turnover costs a LOT more than keeping the ones you have happy.

"Sales / Product Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prizes, incentives, bonuses for selling certain products.
    Casual dress code.

Cons

- Insight focuses on hiring only people that "smile and dial", they do not value actual, valuable knowledge about the IT industry. The first thing they told me when I interviewed is that we do not care if you know anything about technology and provide very limited opportunities for advanced training (unless it is on your own dime). That seemed backwards to me as I would be selling IT products.
    - Sales managers are glorified "yes men". If there is any dissension among the ranks, they are fired or re-positioned to another division.
    - Company is a "procurement arm" for most organizations. Meaning, Insight's ability to source and delivery product is their only real value to the industry. There are no services or unique products that set Insight above local/regional VARs. To make matters worse their supply chain is second rate to CDW and SHI. So really they are 3rd best in the second tier grouping of IT resellers.
    - 90% of Insight's sales are driven by the field team. I firmly believe that Insight's inside sales teams exist solely so they can charge their suppliers an arm and a leg to host "events" at their corporate HQ.
    - Compensation and commission splits are well below market rate. In the 4 years I worked at Insight, the sales commissions changed 5 times (each time it was worse than the structure before).
    - If you are looking to sell value and really build knowledge around the IT Industry, Insight is NOT the place to start. It might be a good place to end up after you build the knowledge elsewhere and then become a field sales rep or support the field sales team (ie Sales Engineer, Data Center specialist). However, Anything around the Inside Sales division is a dead end.

"Gotten Worse"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, product training, cafe in building, lots of bathrooms, SWAG from vendors

Cons

Quotas and metrics intentionally unobtainable so that commissions paid out are lower than industry standards (6% versus 12% or more elsewhere), constant revisions to pay structure and never to the employees benefit, poor health insurance coverage (10k deductible), Insight is funded by manufacturers in-house (HP, Lexmark, Adobe, Juniper, Lenovo, etc) and in turn forces employees to attend "training sessions" which provide no new information, yet takes away from sales time, which leads to not being able to makes sales and dials to achieve the quotas. Punished for a good sales month by given an even higher quotas the following quarter in ALL 5 categories (called "buckets").

Advice to Management

Reward the high performers with something of real value, such as pay raises, better insurance and bonuses instead of plastic-cube plaques and letters from Ken Lamnick. Think about ways to reward and retain employees instead of how to chip away more their commissions each quarter to benefit yourselves.

"They never fail to disappoint..."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. I enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

Management has no clue due to promoting within the good old boys club. Poor benefits. They talk about wanting to retain employees but do the opposite through their actions.
    The "fun commitee" tries REALLY hard but has no company sponsorship and support. Unfortunately EVERYTHING is about the bottom line. They don't consider employees as an asset.

Advice to Management

You have talent and experience within the company. Utilize it.
    If you'd invest in your employees it will come back to you.

"Misleading Company!"

Pros

Company talked a good game however once employed failed to live up to it.One they charge you 50.00 dollars every pay check for use of there truck to work for there company also you have to refill containers with your own water from home everyday.No money back for use of your water.Oh and they encourage sales but you have to police them for your commission if you get it at all.Also no one explains anything improper training and when it comes to your pay break down based on the jobs you did no ones knows nothing.They pay you what they want to pay you.This is just my experience. Basicly no pros. Morrisville NC

Cons

Everything that was said up top and more!!!!Sorry company starting with management on down.You work mon thru sat from 8 to 6 sometimes 7pm and still bring home 700.00 each pay period with no benefits or 401k nothing.SMH

Advice to Management

Close the company down.He that cant follow cant lead!!