Insight Reviews in Tempe, AZ | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Work/life balance is exceptional depending on dept (in 21 reviews)

• This place is a good place to start your career (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No long term vision from upper management (in 22 reviews)

• There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service (in 9 reviews)

"Great people"

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insight’s teammates are amazing, talented people. The brand is really well defined and strong, and the company is well respected among its partners. The company is very much on the front edge of tech solutions.

Cons

The pay is fair for the titles, but they don’t give people titles that are commensurate with their experience or accomplishments, effectively leaving everyone underpaid (some drastically). Also, the health benefits leave a lot to be desired - not on par with other tech industry companies. Also, some departments do not really have any room for people to move up.

Apr 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We appreciate your feedback and recognizing our great teammates and technology offerings. Regarding titles, could you tell us more at glassdoorfeedback@insight.com? As it relates to health care, over ... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People , Management, Bring your dog to work day

Cons

People, Management, Room for advancement

Advice to Management

Promote based off of skill rather than just because someone is well liked or in the inner circle.

"Great job for the short term, but do not make a career out of Insight."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a lot of autonomy and got to work on a variety of different things. I ended up working with just about every department in the company in some fashion. This exposure was good on the job education on how a large international business is run. If you are looking for an entry level job to get your feet wet in a corporate setting, this is a great company. Just don't make a career out of it and make sure you leave after no more than 3 years. Any more is just a waste.

Cons

I had an obfuscated title and job description. If a more main stream title and job description had been used, it would have been obvious that I was paid below market rate. I don't think that was on purpose, but I lost income due to this. At one point I was paid under the minimum rate that HR had set for my position.

My supervisor had no idea what I did and I took directions from others in management that I did not report to. I was not given any mentor-ship regarding my career path. When I had identified another department that I thought was more along my career path, management actively blocked my movement and told me that they were protecting me, because the other team had bad management. Assuming my management team was honest, it is a terrible spot to be in knowing you are not where you should be and the department you should go to is in chaos.

I was frequently worked to exhaustion and took massive hits to my overall health. There was no work life balance and although the word was thrown around sometimes, it was always lip service. Work had to get done no matter the cost. The hard hours were not even recognized and no thank you's were given. Many times I had worked 70+ hour weeks and even got scolded for not getting enough done.

Advice to Management

I was doing a job that other teams either did or were supposed to do. Since I did not report up through the correct structure, I didn't get the support I needed. Ensure you have the right departmental organization with the right managers in place, along with job descriptions that reflect what people actually do. Finally, try to get as close to market rate as you can in terms of pay. At the very least, if you are going to pay under, be within 10%. Finding out you are more than 20% under market rate makes people feel they are not valued.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Product Champion in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Champion in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Wonderful company to work for. The management in our office is passionate about their jobs and treats their employees like family!

Cons

Health insurance is not the greatest ...

"Decent culture but NO work/life balance"

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule (ability to telecommute)

Cons

Zero work/life balance
    Non-competitive pay ($20K UNDER industry standard)
    Project delivery dates are dictated by Management (and not planned based on resource availability and other priorities)
    Limited opportunity for advancement (unless you go into management or change departments)
    Continuous decline in benefits (increase in medical premiums and reduction of cell phone allowance)
    Raises do not cover cost of living increases

Advice to Management

Review your portfolio and update your priorities: Teammates are killing themselves and working ridiculous hours in order to meet unrealistic deadlines.

Share the wealth: When the company is doing well, bonuses should be shared with ALL employees (not just Management).

"Insight"

Current Employee - VMware Partner Champion in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - VMware Partner Champion in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Drink from the information fire hose if you want
    Build relationships with people in other Fortune 500s
    Good work life balance / flexible depending on manager
    Ability to see the landscape of current/emerging technology from a higher level than other tech companies
    The Channel experience and the product knowledge looks great on the ole' resume

Cons

There is room to grow your career, but much of that hinges on your managers opinion
    Compensation is far worse compared to other companies in the same space, very few raises.
    Many product focused employees end up with multiple bosses and managers making it impossible to make everyone happy, and in some instances can cost you your job

Advice to Management

Make the opportunity to work for a promotion worthwhile. As it stands now, most promotions would end up paying you less than if you were hired from the outside. How does that make sense at all? I and many others see this job as a stepping stone and turnover will continue to be high until the promotion culture is changed.

Mar 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We are happy to hear you have great work/life balance and built strong relationships. We definitely agree with you that there are a lot of career opportunities. At Insight, your manager is looking ... More

"Insight Enterprises ~ not Insight Global"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an amazing company ~ with great leadership ~ flush with expert level talent.

Cons

The have set the bar so high I don't think I could work anywhere else

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

Feb 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We love this feedback! Thank you for taking time in writing a review. Glad you are enjoying life at Insight. Keep up the amazing work.

9. "Insight is still growing up and trying to determine their demographics"

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mike Guggemos. A true visionary and inspiration. Sales driven environment that wants to grow in multiple technology directions. Continuing to acquire new opportunities.

Cons

Health and 401k benefits have a lot to be desired. With focus on sales the servicing department is sometimes undercut and set up to fail.

"Challenging Company - People are There Because They Want to Work With The Best"

Current Employee - Network Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my three years at Insight on the consulting services side, I've never met another employee that I didn't get along with. It's a challenging fast paced environment and definitely not for everyone. You're expected to perform and operate at a level that is beyond a typical IT position. But the opportunities to learn and grow from that are innumerable.

Cons

Front line managers and technical leads are awesome. It seems that mid-level managers, however, are disconnected from the front line employees. I worked at Insight for two years before I met my manager's manager.

Mar 7, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Yes, we completely agree — our teammates are the "IT" factor at Insight. It can be fast paced, but, you're right, the opportunities are beyond fantastic. Glad the management team is supporting you ... More

"Great Place for Growth"

I have been working at Insight full-time

Pros

Insight has a wonderful worklace environment. Employees are happy here - truly. There is an exceptional push for personal development, with leaders helping to promote from within and move employees into their areas of interest.
    I feel comfortable speaking with my manager, director, and VP, and am on a first name basis with all. I do not feel like there is a status quo here at Insight. I am comfortable discussing my goals and needs with my leaders.
    The workplace atmosphere is unparallelled - Insight is truly a geat place to work and I hope to spend many more years here.

Cons

Insight needs more flexible work options. Many roles could be performed 100% from home. Working from home multiple days a week, or half days in the office would promote a more workplace flexibility.
    Insight should review their pay schedules against current market trends to see there is a generous compensation gap for comprable roles in the same local. Part of becoming THE place teammates want to stay at is compensating/promoting them for the excellent work they do. Midline pay isn't going to attract or keep the best and brightest.
    2017 had two high deductible medical plans to choose from (which was nice since there has only been one plan in the past) yet both plans deductibles are incredible high, and there is no 80/20 or 90/10 option. Althought high deductibl plans are increasingly popular, they don't make sense for every employee (read: good employees leave because of this). Insight would do well to offer better benefits packages.
    The 401K was recently revamped with employer contributions 50% of every dollar employees contibute up to 6%. (It was 25% before!) - a step in the right direction, but Insight should follow their own mantra and 'do it right the first time'. Make an investment in excellent employees.

Advice to Management

If Insight wants to retain good employees planning for their future, they need to review what they are giving their employees. More flexible work options, fair compensation, better medical benefit options, and increase 401K contributions. Put in what you want to get out, otherwise you are providing a great training ground for other companies to snatch your well trained employees.

Feb 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We are very happy to hear that you enjoy working at Insight! We appreciate your great words. Regarding working from home, this depends on the roles and management. We encourage you to discuss this ... More