Insitu Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Insitu President and CEO Ryan Hartman
Ryan Hartman

Pros
  • Good quality of life and work/life balance for employees based in WA (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, great work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management made poorer by the utter men chosen to do their bidding (in 5 reviews)

• Cost of living in the Bingen, White Salmon, Hood River area is very painful (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Better than imagined!"

I have been working at Insitu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid colleagues here-everyone is so kind and supportive. The culture is one of success and caring. They have four pillars to the culture and they walk the talk when it comes to culture. When I joined I could never have predicted how happy I am today. It takes a leap of faith to join a company like this that isn't a big consumer name but I love that I'm part of something with a great mission.

Cons

Lots of acronyms. Get the app and it gets easier. Snow and ice in the gorge can be a bummer.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on transparency. Have high expectations of employees.

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I’m so pleased to hear you are having a positive experience at Insitu and appreciate your feedback! Our caring and transparent culture is very important to all our leaders and we will continue to ... More

"Insitu Moving Forward"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative

I have been working at Insitu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully Immersive Work Experience, Friendly and Engaging Co-workers, Fulfilling Work Objectives, Small-Company-Feel with Large-Company-Benefits and Opportunities. Exciting Future for this Industry Leader as we Move into the Commercial Sector. Company Adapts Well to its Progressive Development.

Cons

Currently some slight disconnects between management and different departments, ambiguous expectations cause uncertain performance goals both day to day and aggregate.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees.

Feb 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate your encouraging feedback – I'm pleased to hear about your positive experience with Insitu! As our company continues to grow, we strive to keep departments connected with one another ... More

"Great people, great mission, great product"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hood River, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hood River, OR

I have been working at Insitu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The area is amazing, the company treats employees very well, the product is industry leading and the senior leaders have a solid vision.

Cons

The Gorge is a little tricky to find housing. If you need to live next to a mall, this won't work...if you Ski/Bike/Hunt/Fish/Kiteboard, this is where you want to me.

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We strive to provide a compelling vision so each employee knows where we are going as a team – thank you for providing this feedback! We know that housing can be challenging in the Gorge and we are ... More

"Pioneering Aerospace Company in Breathtaking Location"

I have been working at Insitu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market standard pay with the potential for strong bonuses based on company performance, fulfilling work towards a common Mission/Goal, work from home options depending on your role, passionate upper management.

Cons

Long commute with limited housing in the Columbia River Gorge, business somewhat dependent on Defense budgets.

Advice to Management

Continue attacking new business opportunities outside of Defense as well as the seek opportunities for remote/off-site work across different departments or commute assistance programs.

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate the positive feedback! I’m glad to hear about your positive experience at Insitu. As you know, we continue to expand our Commercial division while also continuing to support the ... More

"Leadership makes or breaks a company"

I have been working at Insitu full-time

Pros

people working at Insitu to make it successful are some of the brightest and best.

Cons

Leaders at Insitu up to and including the CEO are selfish, self-centered egomaniacs who cannot abide anyone who dares to disagree with them. The Executive team is going down a path that will eventually break the backbone of the company unless the overseers at Boeing take action on ethics complaints and turn it around.

Advice to Management

Stop the madness

Mar 20, 2017 – Chief People Officer

While I appreciate your feedback, I can assure you that the Executive team makes decisions based on what will have the most positive long-term impact for our customers and the entire company; we are ... More

"Administrative"

I have been working at Insitu full-time

Pros

Great company with a very progressive culture. Fun and exciting place to work, especially considering Insitu has a very cool product!

Cons

It is an hour drive into the gorge from Portland/Vancouver area.

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate your positive feedback! And I agree, our product is very cool and our company has an amazing mission.

"Growing company! Expanding opportunities!"

I have been working at Insitu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High growth company
    Great benefits (every other Friday off, investment in Active Fridays - where Insitu employees get together in off hours - Bike Tours, Jet Boat Tours, Brew Tastings, etc., etc.)
    Beautiful location
    Ability to work remote (for appropriate roles)
    Opportunity for career growth
    If you like change/growth this is the place to be

Cons

High growth = possibility that processes or support technologies won't keep up. There's work happening to solve for this - in the interim...many manual processes to get things done
    Work/org/business moves quickly - if you don't want a flexible/dynamic (sometimes crazy) environment, this isn't for you
    Housing can be tough to find in the gorge

Advice to Management

Keep on the path of evolution
    Don't give up
    Invest in the core - to free up people from manual tasks/processes

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your positive feedback and we are on the path of building great infrastructure to support our growth. We are happy to have you on the Insitu team as we continue our pioneering!

"Sr Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior, Software Engineer in Bingen, WA
    Former Employee - Senior, Software Engineer in Bingen, WA

I worked at Insitu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting working on unmanned air vehicles

Cons

sometimes the pace was slow due to the burden of customer documentation and requirements reviews

Advice to Management

branch out into the commercial market if one can be found

Jan 5, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your positive feedback. You’ll be pleased to know that last year Insitu announced the addition of our new Commercial division to pursue commercial opportunities around the world and ... More

"Good old boys who are too reliant on big-dollar govt. contracts"

I worked at Insitu full-time

Pros

There were definitely some smart people here, really smart people, but they kept their heads down unfortunately. It was nice being so close to Mt. Hood.

Cons

Most of the good, original employees left during the last lay-offs. That's the counter-intuitive aspect of layoffs. The company won't be able to grow beyond big government contracting dollars and with so much lighter and more agile competition in their market now, the future is dim.

Advice to Management

Read up on the demise of Kodak. Lots of lessons to learn there from a company that got too comfortable with their perception of their market.

Feb 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

While I appreciate your feedback, I must say I disagree. The company has grown extensively in the past year, and continues to grow not only within the defense and government sectors, but also in the ... More

"Pilot Instructor"

Current Employee - Pilot Instructor in White Salmon, WA
    Current Employee - Pilot Instructor in White Salmon, WA

I have been working at Insitu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great growth and potential to move around and up within the company. Company has started some great perks to complement the area it is based in like free gear rentals for summer and winter sporting activities.

Cons

Managers never get to know the aspirations of their workers and as a result do nothing to help them along in their careers. It's a bit of an "every man for themselves" mentality.

Advice to Management

You don't succeed unless you're helping your people succeed.

Dec 19, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we appreciate your positive outlook and are glad to hear you are taking advantage of the Insitu Gear Shed program!