Insituform Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2017

1.0
John J. (Joe) Burgess

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Disposable Field Engineer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Insituform Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any Pros associated with Insituform

Cons

Highly unorganized, frequent equipment breakdowns, overworked crews spread too thin over wide areas.
    Virtually all of the points made in the beginning ( lots of work, need good people, etc.) seemed to evaporate quickly. PM 's outright lying - extreme displeasure voiced by sub - contractors and clients.
    Cheap minded with eyes glued to the bottom line to the detriment of the crews leading to abysmal morale.Company "values" in name only. Safety routinely circumvented in the name of expediency...

Advice to Management

Don't know where you get PM's from, but you need to look elsewhere. .

2. "Production"

Pros

Good Insurance 401 k dental vision

Cons

Terrible Management from top of company makes terrible management in the plants. Plant manager is a joke.

Advice to Management

Check out the managers to make sure they are qualified to run a plant.

3. "Office Administrator"

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful staff in California for training

Cons

buyouts, change of management - the office was in chaos. The company was great for the construction team and the staffers that have been with the company for 15+ years - not such a friendly atmosphere for new office employees.

"Incompetent Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company at times, it was fun and awesome to work with the local Fullerton, CA crew except the Project Manager. Top of the line benefits

Cons

In the Fullerton, Ca office the Project Manager was there for over a year and still did not know anything about the business or the daily activities that goes on in the office. He relied on everyone to include the people at the corporate office do his work for him and yet they continue to pay him a 6 figure salary which was 3 times more than what everybody else was making. Was told that I must work a minimum of 10-12 hour days regardless if everything was done. I was told that since I was in the military that I should understand authority and that David is my boss and I WILL do every and anything he tells me to do to include illegal things which I still refused to do even if he they were going to fire me because I have morals. The Project Manager has had 3 people quit on him to include myself.

Advice to Management

STOP PROTECTING INCOMPETENT PROJECT MANGERS AND AREA MANAGERS THAT PROTECT INCOMPETENT PEOPLE. START TAKING CARE OF THE POEPLE WHO REALLY WANT TO MAKE THE COMPANY A BETTER PLACE.

"Qa manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

Pros

Honestly can't think of any. Maybe field personell saw differently. But Corp / office life is dreadful.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, lacking direction. Unacheivable goals.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Horrible working environment"

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What pros? This company is horrible to work for.

Cons

Where to begin? Poor pay, expect a raise of less then $.50 every 2 to 3 years. Absolutely no leadership. Corporate mindset, no care for the working class.

Advice to Management

Sell this company to a local business.

7. "Head Games"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good location...clean offices (at least the ones that have been renovated). Big player in their industry, should be one with upside.

Cons

Very political. Inept HR team. Poor executive leadership. Favoritism, back room deals run rampant in promotion discussions. Even those with years of strong service tossed aside for political gain.

Advice to Management

Learn more about your own team by talking to those a few levels down. Show appreciation for those that do the actual work.

8. "1"

Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

If you are in engineering, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Accounting does not treat or pay its employees very well and there is no room for advancement in the company.

Advice to Management

I know management never listens, but please consider what your employees contribute.

9. "Blatant Disregard for Safety Procedures"

Former Employee - Construction Labourer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Construction Labourer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Subsidized gym memberships and 401K contributions from the employer. Equipment reimbursement.

Cons

Construction and transportation jobs are inherently dangerous, but reasonable precautions can (and are supposed to) be taken to minimize the risk of injury and death. Having said that, I am disappointed with this company for having the most blatant disregard for workplace safety that I have ever encountered.

The workdays are often long, and although this happens in construction, what is not acceptable is the practice of demoting employees for taking a moment to eat a snack or hydrate themselves after working more than 4 hours since their last designated break. I became seriously dehydrated while working at this job and became sick as a result.

I witnessed my team leader threaten one of his subordinates with violence for having used due caution when carrying out a dangerous procedure. Needless to say, threats like those are unprofessional and should not be tolerated.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting incompetent leaders. Create a healthier and safer workplace culture and actually listen to the concerns of your employees instead of stonewalling and denying the existence of problems.

10. "NOTHING but BAD"

Former Employee - Estimator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Estimator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Nice new office and shop storage facility, some (not many) pleasant people to talk to, part of a large corporation, with deep pockets!!

Cons

Extremely poor top management, its basically a son trying to keep his father happy... hired as an estimator, no training, no job turnover, no guidance, no job outline, I even had to figure out what exactly the company did & how they did it on my own....position was listed as full time, permanent, but was layed off 1 day shy of 3 month probation (just before head hunter fees due)...the guy I replaced came back from his extended holiday early

Advice to Management

Lay yourself off....and take some people skills and management courses, then re-apply...I'm sure daddy will hire you back !!!