Insomniac Games Reviews

Updated Mar 9, 2020

4.2
Insomniac Games CEO & President Ted Price (no image)
Ted Price
  1. "Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great projects. Excited for what the future holds. Excellent bonuses.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

2. "Great company to work for"

I worked at Insomniac Games full-time

Pros

There are so many talented people working there. The environment is friendly and collaborative.

Cons

Nothing negative to say really.

3. "Fantastic Company, Great People"

Former Employee - Intern in Durham, NC

I worked at Insomniac Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

I interned at the NC studio in 2019. I had a fantastic experience; everyone was happy to answer any questions I had, and I had many meetings with the lead to go over my performance and make sure I was getting the most out of my time there as possible. I learned a ton, and can say with complete confidence that Insomniac is absolutely dedicated to giving their interns a full experience at their studio. We felt like employees, and were entrusted with assets from the games in production. It never felt like busywork, it always felt like I was contributing something. While there were people who stayed late, it was never demanded from what I saw. The people who needed to stayed, but over all the company seemed to respect the work/life balance of its employees.

Cons

There aren't many younger employees at the NC studio and many people there have children and families to get home to, so there aren't a lot of peer-related activities outside of work.

Continue reading
  4. "An Underdog Studio with Execs that care both about making great games and being profitable"

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The CEO and other higher-ups in the company know me by name and treat me and others lower-ranked employees with respect. If I really wanted, I could go knock on Ted’s door and if he didn’t have something truly urgent, I believe he’d stop there to listen to me. The company cares about making money, but not so much that we’ll toss out a game too early. Sure, every game could use another month (or twelve) of polish, but I think they (and Sony) do a pretty good job of drawing the line. Burbank is nice and our office and facilities are pretty great.

Cons

Not the most organized scheduling and project management in my opinion. I often find myself ‘PMing’ my own tasks and some of the others in my department as PM doesn’t always understand how a department operates (how long it takes to do XYZ, who should do what task, when should we do a task in relation to other departments, etc). I wouldn’t mind being micro-managed with tasks so much if PM had a really strong working knowledge of our department and I didn’t have to explain why something can/can’t/should/shouldn’t get done right soon/later. This is not true for all departments though, and it seems some are more managed by their leads, which to me seems more effective from my side of the fence.

Continue reading
  5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - QA Tester

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super transparent and open minded

Cons

None that I can think of.

"A great place to work and is just getting started. Future seems bright."

Current Employee - Designer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, and great tools. Offers a wide variety of projects.

Cons

Hard to climb the ladder here. Salary feels low vs. experience.

Continue reading

"Typical Game QA Experience"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Burbank, CA

I worked at Insomniac Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

You'll get to work on some great games. Some very talented folks work at Insomniac. Fairly flat organization. CEO (Ted Price) really cares about the company and making great games. He's very approachable, even being in a QA entry level position, I had a couple of discussions about the game we were working on with him.

Cons

Crunch is very common. Can hit 70+ hours a week when key deadlines are near. Low pay for QA. In QA the hiring approach is more about hiring a lot of folks, instead of hiring the best people.

Continue reading

"There's a lot of potential and passion"

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good CEO and company founders. Great facilities. Good team of talented developers. Mostly good leads. Great tools for in house. Independent and owns most IPs. Good publisher relationship. Great team culture.

Cons

Direction team are not as strong as the rest of the developers or the company founders. Large project management team which is about 70% useful but with some key figures who don't contribute. Lack of focus and willingness to listen to the team. This is a major problem and causes large amounts of wasted work. The direction team micro manages instead of focusing on clear direction and documentation of the project as a whole. Poor accountability at direction level. Slow to hire new talent. Poor pay/bonus.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Insomniac Games full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Terrific workplace, fantastic benefits, great people. CEO cares about everyone. Good projects. Amazing work / life balance --- yes there are busy times, but you won't find many places with that balance ingrained into the culture like this.

Cons

Haven't really been able to deliver a true hit in years. Sort of a lack of vision for how to get back to those PS2 years. Focus scattered with so many projects. Spider-Man could change that.

"Gameplay Programmer"

I have been working at Insomniac Games for more than 8 years

Pros

Everyone contributes ideas, good variety of work, big games without huge teams, everyone is incredibly driven.

Cons

Pace can be extremely fast, management sometimes gets in the weeds too much without seeing the big picture.

Found 31 reviews