InstaEDU Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.1
InstaEDU CEO Dan Rosensweig (no image)
Dan Rosensweig
Pros
  • "Good pay, easy to use interface(in 15 reviews)

• "Really flexible hours, competitive pay(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Students often just want the answers rather than actual help(in 10 reviews)

• "Students often ask for you to outright do their homework (against InstaEDU's rules)(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

tutor

Sep 29, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

it was flexible way to make fast money

Cons

earnings were not stable

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Tutor at InstaEDU. This tutoring company's incredible!!

Jan 31, 2014 - Online Tutor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Convenience of tutoring on your own time at home or elsewhere, computer logs time so you get paid for every second you spend tutoring, easy to use interface that allows to draw diagrams and edit essays (I think there's even a coding interface for the computer science folks out there). Payment is consistent and transferred to bank account within 3-4 days so this is just an INCREDIBLY convenient tutoring company for tutors who don't like to travel to student's homes or have a unpredictable schedule.

Cons

Sometimes I can have the website open for hours but have no one request me for a tutoring session. Also, sometimes kids just want to you answer homework questions without paying (they don't have a credit card); you can choose not to tutor them though, which is great. Very few complaints. This company/tutoring opportunity is unique and convenient for both the students and the tutor.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great product, great team, exciting environment

Apr 8, 2014 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I left a large tech company to join InstaEDU because I really believe in the product and the mission of the company. We help connect students with tutors and provide affordable one-on-one help to high school and college students. The management structure is flat, communication and decision making is transparent. The company leadership is a group of really talented and incredibly smart Stanford grads. I am really excited to be part of the team here and work in such a tight-knit and collaborative environment.

Cons

As a start-up we have limited people-power and resources. This means that I have to constantly stretch myself to learn more skills and work slightly outside of my comfort zone. Overall, not really a con -- I am learning a lot, but it's definitely a challenging environment where everyone is constantly pushing themselves and growing.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

A convenient way to make some extra spending money from the convenience of a remote location

May 19, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

As long as you have a reliable internet connection, headphones, and (sometimes) a graphing calculator, working with InstaEDU is a great way to make some extra cash if you are in between jobs, or do not tutor full-time.

Cons

Perhaps the biggest downside is that sometimes students can be fickle and end a session in <5 minutes (which you only will receive $1.67 compensation for); however, if you are often online and are reliable, it's possible to gather a significant number of loyal students. The hourly pay is not very competitive for senior tutors (especially in major urban areas), and sometimes what work you contribute is ethically questionable, at best.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Startup with a great social mission

Jun 11, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined InstaEDU about a year ago because I was looking to work for a tech startup that had something of a social mission. I love that working at InstaEDU is about more than tech for tech's sake -- we're building a product makes people's lives better. The group of employees here is incredibly dedicated to the product and to our "cause" -- making online tutoring accessible and available to anyone with an Internet connection and a desire to learn.

Cons

Since we're a growing startup, there's a lot of work to be done (which can sometimes mean long hours). Luckily, we have a good group of employees/company culture, so it's not so bad :)

6. 4.0

Convenient, Flexible, and Decent Pay

Jul 27, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to choose when and where to work form. You also get to filter what kind of tutoring you would like to do. The pay is higher then several competing companies(such as tutor.com and wyzant), and you get to work from the convenience of your dorm room if you would like(no travel necessary). Furthermore, the support staff is really prompt and extremely helpful.

Cons

Sometimes, you get students who are just fishing for answers, and that can be frustrating to deal with when you have started the lesson. Also, sometimes they are people who treat the website like a Q and A service for various topics not really related to tutoring.

7. 3.0

Flexible work, Poor Business Model

Sep 29, 2014 - Online Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

convenient and flexible, good pay,hiring process is not unnecessarily difficult or annoying

Cons

Poorly developed, relatively ad-hoc, model for matching up students with tutors-feels more like a market place! Students can contact tutors -without signing up for minutes (paid or trial)-this is a discouraging waste of tutor time as many of these students have no clue what the service is about and are led to believe it offers free help. They seldom sign up for the trial after finding out they need to pay, anyway because ( 1) because they were already misled by getting in touch with a tutor for free (2) they likely don't have a credit card and just wasted a few minutes already

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good source of pocket money

Dec 15, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible - you decide what to do and when to do and whether or not to do it. Pay rate is high ($20 an hour)

Cons

Many students just want answers which is against the honor policy, and if more time is taken they might give negative review. They're removed the instant support function.

9. 5.0

Awesome for pocket money

Jun 22, 2015 - Online Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work when want, from home, with descent pay ( best rate among other tutoring websites ). Customer support is great for tutors they sided with me when I reported a student who was cheating .

Cons

Depends on the needs , so you will have a lot of downtime. Many students think that they can ask for a quick direct answers for the assignments or quizzes, and this website is not meant for that, yet you will see many of that type so learn how to handle them or cancel the requests , and comply with the honor code.

10. 5.0

InstaEDU is amazing!

Nov 30, 2013 - Online Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

InstaEDU is designed in a manner such that it is really easy for students to find tutors, and for tutors to get students. The system of public reviews by students is great to keep the tutors on their feet. Also, some executive from the company is almost always online which is great if tutors need help regarding any issues they may have faced.

Cons

The lesson environment can get buggy sometimes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 65 Reviews