Instacart Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Instacart Founder Apoorva Mehta
Apoorva Mehta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As a college student the ability to have a flexible schedule was perfect (in 88 reviews)

• Really flexible hours, and gets really good paid (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • lots of wear and tear on cars when working in populated cities, no mileage compensation (in 38 reviews)

• I believe Instacart is one of the better delivery services to make extra income as others it's hard even to make minimum wage (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Growth Opportunity"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Instacart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Leadership is willing to promote internally and makes a conscious effort to develop its employees
    *Great learning opportunities- Instacart has an abundance of interesting projects to work on.
    *I met awesome people while working here and made lasting friendships.
    *Solid benefits, good food, and a convenient office location located near a lot of public transport

Cons

*Instacart operates in a complex space; it's beholden to tens thousands of shoppers, and a growing number of retail and brand partners. It has limited control of critical components of its service, such as availability of items in stores, or availability of new shoppers in key markets.
    *Work-life balance is poor on certain teams. Instacart's leadership cares about employees and is making an effort to improve this but a lot of teams are spread thin.

Advice to Management

*Beware of sacred cows. There's an unwillingness test variable service fees and other key components of Instacart's service. As a customer of various on-demand services, variable fees don't bother me. I would rather have the option to pay more and still use the service, then not have availability.
    * Kill poorly performing advertising products. Instacart has a tendency to keep launching new ones instead of improving existing ad products.

2. "Own exciting engineering challenges and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Instacart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Lots of challenging problems to solve
    * A high degree of autonomy
    * Surrounded by smart and passionate people
    * High-growth company with huge potential
    * Tools and investment to be successful
    * Excellent career growth opportunities
    * Great culture
    * Healthy diversity
    * Good benefits

Cons

* We haven't made it yet. There's a clear path, but it does require work

3. "My first day was Saturday, I was anxious beforehand but I enjoyed it. Watching all the how to * videos helped."

Current Employee - Full Service Shopper in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Full Service Shopper in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Instacart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work when you want to. Flexible hours. Company gives you immediate feedback and encouragement on your performance.

Cons

That you are timed, stressed me but also challenges me.!!

Advice to Management

I really emailed Instacart with so many question and they really helped me. I am sticking with it.

"Decent Potential for a PT Gig, but absolutely horrible policies for Full-Service Shoppers"

I have been working at Instacart part-time

Pros

Customers are Pleasant; Plenty of hours (in certain areas) for strictly weekend work.

Cons

Inflexible (and downright unfair) policies regarding time, delivery, etc. ; inability to really get hours in home zone; Crappy App functionality; Assignment of double, triple, and sometimes quadruple orders to single Full-Time Shoppers for delivery in a single trip.; Little to no meaningful feedback from Shopper Support regarding issues.

Advice to Management

Simply put, Instacart has some pretty messed up practices as it pertains to Instacart's actual assignments. Repeatedly getting assigned double and triple orders are not only time consuming for Full-Service Shoppers, but it greatly INCREASES the chance for delays in delivery of orders to the customer. In the past few weekends, I've had a MINIMUM of 2 double or triple orders anytime I've signed up for hours to work. It's pretty evident that you guys DON'T take into consideration how large orders are before assigning multiple orders to individual Full-Service Shoppers, but there's no hesitation in penalizing the same shoppers when those large orders actually take time to complete and deliver. It's also evident that customers AREN'T notified that the shoppers that have their orders, may have orders that will need to be completed BEFORE their order can be delivered.

Finally, full-service Shoppers don't have the choice of refusing an order (outside of taking a 20 minute unpaid break), or actually SEEING what constitutes an order prior to accepting it. if we don't accept the order, we get penalized for it WITHOUT recourse. In the case of getting double, triple, or even quadruple orders, this is highly inefficient, and puts the shopper at a disadvantage in terms of getting the orders assigned completed and delivered in a timely manner.

Actually getting constructive feedback from Shopper support is non-existent when it comes to these issues. not even going to get into how hourly guaranteed pay simply disappeared. It's just been an underwhelming experience to this point.

"Instacart"

I have been working at Instacart part-time

Pros

Amazingly flexible part-time job. Loved not having the pressure of a boss checking on me.

Cons

Would love to be payed more.

6. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Instacart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Not many cons to think about.

"Love It"

I have been working at Instacart part-time

Pros

Weekly pay
    Set your own days and hours

Cons

Sometimes customers don’t tip on entire shifts

Advice to Management

Don’t be so strict on reliabilty. You’ll loose good employees

8. "Looking into it"

Current Employee - NONE in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - NONE in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Instacart part-time

Pros

Freedom to use your time around your private schedule

Cons

Hours, drive time ,Emails , Not enough work

Advice to Management

I downloaded the App and then I thought I should check the reviews and to my surprise there mostly bad with a lot of disgruntled and unsatisfied workers. changed my mind because that isn't the kind of thing I want to sign up for . It really is to bad !

9. "Creative, quickly growing company"

I have been working at Instacart full-time

Pros

Amazing room for growth, lots of freedom to work on high impact projects

Cons

High turnover; tunnel vision on company goals

"If you value yourself a little, it’s not worth it"

I have been working at Instacart part-time

Pros

You can sit in your car if you like time away from your family

Cons

Have to send various emails just to fight for your so called “guaranteed” hourly wage. Your number is blocked which if you have questions which seems like a common theme.

Advice to Management

Train “shopper happinesses” to tell employees truthful practices, stop BLOCKING your own employees numbers that have questions on time they spend working for your company