Instart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Sumit Dhawan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Instart Logic is one of the few companies that demonstrates work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "Good culture with a no jerks policy, nice smart people with no big egos" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Usual start-up growing pains such as innovating at pace while consolidating the product" (in 7 reviews)

• "We have the usual startup company growing pains" (in 10 reviews)

"Innovate tech, nice people, new energy"

Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Instart has some really great technology and IP, good people and a no jerks policy make for a nice working environment. Big name customers that love the service. Recent outside CEO coming in to help with growth has been really positive.

Cons

It's a smaller company so you should be prepared to do multiple jobs and feel stretched from time to time.

Advice to Management

Think about more focus as we have a lot going on

"So glad I'm at Instart"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are making the Internet better for hundreds of millions of people
    Great technology, scalable platform, challenging problems to solve
    We work with amazing customers - you've heard of most of them
    Good smart leadership, open communication. Nice smart people in the office.
    Free lunch three days a week, amazing snacks and drinks in kitchen

Cons

Always too much to do - you have to prioritize. Not always a ton of structure - you need to be comfortable "figuring it out" on your own. Still need the source code for the coffee machine to make sure it's GDPR compliant.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - this company is going to change the world. And hire faster - I heard there are 30 open jobs!

"A comfortable and enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a woman working at Instart, I feel compelled to to share my experience after reading a review about a "sexist" culture at Instart. It's true that there are more men than women working here and there are more men in leadership positions. I've personally interacted or worked closely with most everyone in the company and have never felt that I was treated differently because I'm a woman. I joined shortly after having my first baby and never felt that I was treated unfairly. I received so much empathy from other Moms and Dads about the work/life balance struggle and instantly felt accepted here. Everyone is trying to get their jobs done and help grow this company. People are respectful and focused on the work and all the opportunities and challenges being in a pre-IPO company represents. Then they want to get home and spend time with their own families. I've never been in a more respectful or accepting work culture. I've never heard any of my female colleagues complain about being mistreated by anyone at Instart. I wouldn't work here if I believed women (or anyone for that matter) were being disrespected or mistreated.

Cons

We do need more diversity in our company. It's widely known that diversity not only improves a company's culture but it improves business outcomes. We can always do better on this front.

"good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology. Great people. Great market opportunity.

Cons

Need to focus on execution this year.

"Solution Architect"

I have been working at Instart full-time

Pros

Great people, leading edge tech and a revitalized executive team are driving Instart in a positive direction.
    Instart's updated portfolio and messaging directly addresses modern day challenges in the digital-online world. Exciting to be a part of this upswing

Cons

Typical young company (sub 500 employee) challenges. But that's why I'm here, not interested in a giant company where you're known by your employee ID number

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin', our future state strategy is spot on

6. "If you can't stand the heat...."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

smh at some of these reviews. Instart is NOT a sexist place. Give me a break! we are lacking in women in general as far as I can see and I think that's the real problem.

Cons

We struggled with lack of focus, and lost a bunch of coworkers and leaders in the past year, but we're a startup! If you cant handle the ups and the downs, then go back to google or FB and see how much your opinion matters there!
    We have a new CEO, new outlook, new energy. There are a few hangers on who are still harbouring negativity from one bad year.

Advice to Management

Don't hold onto negative people no matter how critical you think they are. You're not seeing the negative impact on the rest of us. If someone has lost the energy and patience for a startup then make a back up plan and let them leave graciously. Don't force us all into a hostage situation.

"Tech that just blows my mind"

I have been working at Instart full-time

Pros

- Everyone believes in the tech
    - Full Potential starting to bear fruit. More to come
    - Super talented team.

Cons

- Typical Startup challenges around prioritization.

Advice to Management

- Double down on the momentum.

"Adhere the Warnings"

Pros

New CEO. Might turn it around but a big ask.

Cons

Where do I start? The executive management team is a joke The CRO is the most inept executive I have ever seen. It’s a popularity contest. Sales reps that haven’t sold one piece of business in a year are still employed. If you aren’t part of his core. Then you see left to sink with zero direction and help.
    The CMO and the marketing staff are a bunch of “high school” bullies. They don’t listen for input. All thy do is a laugh and make fun of your ideas.

This is 3.0 startup. The revenues have been flat for 8 years and continue to fuming from VC’s for what reason I have no idea. They are so behind lin the market with no innovation.

Advice to Management

I would cut the fat in the executive team and hire smarter people. Take action with new hires and get them out to training immediately and put them on a track for success not a “sink or swim” platform.

"A Depressingly Sexist Place to Work"

I have been working at Instart full-time

Pros

There are some nice people still working at this company, but fewer all the time.

Cons

If you are not a white or asian male, don't bother applying here. You probably won't get hired and if you do, you won't like it.

The technology was hot a few years ago, but has not been evolving. It's all about sales and marketing now.

Advice to Management

Take diversity seriously, instead of the minimum lip service.

Instart Response

Jul 13, 2018 – Vice President Business Development

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about such an important issue, and I'm sorry you feel ​that you​ have been mistreated at Instart. I seriously encourage you to speak to HR or ​a... More

"Great Product, Great People = Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional product/platform this is going places. Great, really smart people who care and are great to be around. Management and HR fast to take action when issues arise.

Cons

Mid Stage startup with typical growing pains. Improvement needed in the areas of visibility and accountability in some of the internal teams.

Advice to Management

Don't assume that your message and values are trickling down to the staff. Be clear and push for what you believe is needed to improve results and don't live with the Status Quo. People want to get better and be more successful, you just have to ask and lead them and not just manage them.