Instart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Sumit Dhawan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It's rare to find a place where work/life balance is valued and actually enforced" (in 9 reviews)

• "Some of the superficial perks are that we get free lunches on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Usual start-up growing pains such as innovating at pace while consolidating the product" (in 7 reviews)

• "We have the usual startup company growing pains" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Culture!"

I have been working at Instart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the very beginning, I've felt welcomed among my peers at Instart. There's definitely a culture of inclusion and really easy going people who are pleasant to work with. It's rare to find a place where work/life balance is valued and actually enforced.

Cons

There are a few kinks to work out (typical of any growing company) in terms of org structure and process, but I feel optimistic about the growth and future of Instart.

"Challenges"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experienced, stable and mature executive management team
    Great visibility and accuracy to the business (results and outlook) by CFO and VP of Sales.....these guys are telling it the way it is....
    Great benefits with matching 401K
    Free lunches
    Happy hour on Thursdays helps with morale
    Not jerks and large egos anymore here

Cons

Service and product stability continues which is impact customers renewing
    From what I see there is no brand awareness and partnerships to help sales team

Advice to Management

Fix the product stability issues then focus on innovation

3. "It's great! Busy, but great."

Current Employee - Private in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Private in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm pretty new to Instart. I like the people I get to work with every day. There's plenty to do! You won't get bored. All the creature comforts you could ask for. It's just a nice, busy place to be.

Cons

I can't think of any. If I were to nit-pick, there's more work than I can get to constantly, but that provides me with job security so I can't call it a con.

Advice to Management

Doesn't look like our CEO and CFO need advice from me!

"It's too late to turn the ship around..."

I have been working at Instart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people thru company. Not too many jerks
    Great company benefits including matching 401k
    Free food, drinks and snacks
    Kind of cool technology
    Great investors with lots of money raised
    New CEO has nice energy but seems to rely on alot of people who got us to this situation

Cons

Pretty much no brand in the market..hard to get meetings or calls set-up
    Zero partnerships that bring value to the company- getting killed by competitors on this side of the business
    Many employees who should have been fired or left as their time spent is useless..if you've been at a start-up more then 4 years, time to go (unless it turns out to be a huge success). Otherwise make same mistakes over and over and over
    Changing market approach again..I think third time in as many years (new age CDN, CDN replacement, Digital Experience) when existing products in market work well (Akamai, Fastly, Amazon, Google, Adobe)
    Hardly any revenue growth at all, especially when company raised so much money

"Full Time Employee"

Current Employee - Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Instart has made significant strides recently in every meaningful metric, from revenue generation to employee engagement. This is largely attributable to a shift in strategy and a lot of hard work being done by all teams. The recent additions of new leadership appears to also have been a catalyst for reinvigorating enthusiasm and engagement.

In my experience, I would describe the company culture as, "Intelligent". They tend to look for the smartest people they can in every role. That may sound cliche, but it is very deliberate here. I think they have a very low threshold of tolerance for... "not smart".

The problems they are solving for, from a technical standpoint, are both unique and challenging. And the opportunities for strong performers are impossible to duplicate in a large, enterprise company.

Overall, I think the future is bright for the company if the recent momentum can be sustained and improved upon.

Cons

The main thing to keep in mind here is that winning takes work. The faint of heart need not apply. Most everyone has too much on their plate and this is even more true among the leaders in every business unit. Trying to make significant pivots takes a lot of work and the current pace is not sustainable. The good news is that this is fixable by bringing in key team members that are motivated to win.

Advice to Management

Keep driving in the new direction. Continue to play to win. Moving the flywheel can feel slow at first, but the momentum will compound.

I think two years from now, a lot of people will be wishing they had joined at this point in the company's growth.

"Innovate tech, nice people, new energy"

Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Instart has some really great technology and IP, good people and a no jerks policy make for a nice working environment. Big name customers that love the service. Recent outside CEO coming in to help with growth has been really positive.

Cons

It's a smaller company so you should be prepared to do multiple jobs and feel stretched from time to time.

Advice to Management

Think about more focus as we have a lot going on

"So glad I'm at Instart"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are making the Internet better for hundreds of millions of people
    Great technology, scalable platform, challenging problems to solve
    We work with amazing customers - you've heard of most of them
    Good smart leadership, open communication. Nice smart people in the office.
    Free lunch three days a week, amazing snacks and drinks in kitchen

Cons

Always too much to do - you have to prioritize. Not always a ton of structure - you need to be comfortable "figuring it out" on your own. Still need the source code for the coffee machine to make sure it's GDPR compliant.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - this company is going to change the world. And hire faster - I heard there are 30 open jobs!

"A comfortable and enjoyable place to work"

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a woman working at Instart, I feel compelled to to share my experience after reading a review about a "sexist" culture at Instart. It's true that there are more men than women working here and there are more men in leadership positions. I've personally interacted or worked closely with most everyone in the company and have never felt that I was treated differently because I'm a woman. I joined shortly after having my first baby and never felt that I was treated unfairly. I received so much empathy from other Moms and Dads about the work/life balance struggle and instantly felt accepted here. Everyone is trying to get their jobs done and help grow this company. People are respectful and focused on the work and all the opportunities and challenges being in a pre-IPO company represents. Then they want to get home and spend time with their own families. I've never been in a more respectful or accepting work culture. I've never heard any of my female colleagues complain about being mistreated by anyone at Instart. I wouldn't work here if I believed women (or anyone for that matter) were being disrespected or mistreated.

Cons

We do need more diversity in our company. It's widely known that diversity not only improves a company's culture but it improves business outcomes. We can always do better on this front.

"Solution Architect"

I have been working at Instart full-time

Pros

Great people, leading edge tech and a revitalized executive team are driving Instart in a positive direction.
    Instart's updated portfolio and messaging directly addresses modern day challenges in the digital-online world. Exciting to be a part of this upswing

Cons

Typical young company (sub 500 employee) challenges. But that's why I'm here, not interested in a giant company where you're known by your employee ID number

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin', our future state strategy is spot on

"If you can't stand the heat...."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Instart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

smh at some of these reviews. Instart is NOT a sexist place. Give me a break! we are lacking in women in general as far as I can see and I think that's the real problem.

Cons

We struggled with lack of focus, and lost a bunch of coworkers and leaders in the past year, but we're a startup! If you cant handle the ups and the downs, then go back to google or FB and see how much your opinion matters there!
    We have a new CEO, new outlook, new energy. There are a few hangers on who are still harbouring negativity from one bad year.

Advice to Management

Don't hold onto negative people no matter how critical you think they are. You're not seeing the negative impact on the rest of us. If someone has lost the energy and patience for a startup then make a back up plan and let them leave graciously. Don't force us all into a hostage situation.