Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua Rosenthal

Pros
  • Because of this, it is a dynamic work environment (in 7 reviews)

• As he ages his intent to change the world becomes more up tempo as he time works against him (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience, no one barks orders at each other (in 9 reviews)

• gossipy and unprofessional work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "Healthy, energetic, lifestyle-friendly employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really positive work atmosphere. Lots of affirmation for job well done, courteous feedback when I miss the mark. People work really hard at their jobs, which is really motivating.

Cons

Lots of really cool benefits, although as a PT I'm not qualified for most of them. And the super-healthy, super-young vibe gets old after a while!

Advice to Management

Please discourage after-hours communications. If you say you support normal work hours but everyone still emails each other at all hours, it sends a mixed message about hidden expectations.

"Great, at first"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, mission driven, great benefits and perks

Cons

Turbulent atmosphere with unpredictable cycles of hirings and firings from upper management - brought morale down

"True to their mission"

Pros

I love working at IIN! I truly enjoy getting up each morning and putting my best foot forward to help our students change the world. I find that the environment is very supportive both in terms of the work that I do as well as in supporting personal growth and development. That's one of the reasons I wanted to work for this company. I wanted to work in an atmosphere that looks at me as a whole person. One that can contribute to the team and the mission as well as one who is in individual.

Cons

I'm not really aware of any cons at this point. I've had a great experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to have high expectations of employees and continue to support them in reaching their goals.

"Supportive and loving environment"

Pros

I work with a great team at IIN. Everyone is invested in the mission of the school and we share very similar values. The team is very supportive of each other and we are all focused on success as a team, not individuals.

Cons

I have only been with IIN a short time. If there are cons I haven't seen them.

"Hollow mission"

Pros

IIN attracts smart, dedicated people. Many wonderful coworkers who truly care about the company's mission
    Ability to make change quickly in a nimble environment
    Possibility to advance in seniority and compensation very fast if the founder likes you

Cons

Some in management positions are unqualified for the role they have been promoted to.
    Lack of stability and high turnover (both voluntary and involuntary).
    Culture used to be great overall, unfortunately watched it all but disintegrate. Hopefully it has since been revived.

Advice to Management

You will do much better in the long term by planning better, trusting your team, and aiming for less turnover. Continue to move quickly but maintain focus and stability.

"Values-driven, Ethical Business"

Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees' contributions to company development are welcomed and celebrated regardless of position.

Holistic focus. While chain of command is in place, each person is viewed as a vital part of the fully functioning whole, rather than seen as less than any other employee.

Emphasis on personal growth and whole life wellness. Yoga classes, chiropractic services and access to the Health Coach training program are offered to employees as part of the benefits package.

Desire to effect positive change in the world. The company's mission is to create a healthier, happier world, and each decision is made with that end in mind.

Cons

If sternness that borders on harshness or aggressiveness is valued one's means of communicating with fellow employees, that is not supported in the work environment, which is something I'm grateful for, but I could see that this could be challenging for certain personalities to adjust to. The work environment is very different from what I've experienced in other positions. In my experience, no one barks orders at each other. Everyone is held to a high standard, and we do what is expected of us out of love and respect for the company and each other, rather than out of fear of reprimand.

Advice to Management

Continue operating from the orgranization's ethos, and always be open to new ways of looking at things. The world is constantly changing, and we will excel as a result of our fluidity and openness to experience.

8. "I love my job! :)"

Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say? I love my job!

Integrative Nutrition is a super progressive company, and offers a lot of opportunities if you're willing to work hard and look for ways to contribute.

I love our students, the people I work with, and getting to support this vision on a daily basis. My team is like a family, and we talk and meet up with each other outside of work just so we can continue hanging out! :)

Just to address some of the more negative reviews I've seen on here: In my experience, when employees contribute to the conversation and actively seek ways to grow both themselves and the company, they're valued, appreciated, and rewarded for that. If someone is looking to just do the same old, same old and is resistant to change, that's where the issues arise. Integrative Nutrition is a great company, AND it's still a business. People who don't add value and have a negative attitude are a detriment to any company.

Cons

As with any workplace, there are "personalities" to deal with. Fortunately, support is provided to navigate these situations so work can continue moving at a steady pace.

And as with any large organization, sometimes change is slow-going. While it may be nice to implement new ideas right away, they may take some time to see the light of day due to other higher priority projects.

Advice to Management

I mean, this really depends on the manager, but I think the most important thing in management in general is to remember that just because you're at the top of the chain of command doesn't mean that you're better than the rest of your team. Your team is essential to you getting your job done and furthering the company's mission. Each employee should be respected for what they bring to the table, and, as much as possible, an effort should be made to play to each employee's strengths.

"Great place for maternity/paternity"

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

My wife recently gave birth to our first child. To say that I was pleased with how Integrative Nutrition handled my paternity leave, would be an understatement. After speaking with HR, I was happily granted my time-off with ease, able to stagger it as I needed, and had the support of pretty much every department. The entire attitude of the company created a joyous time for me to bond with my child :)

I know that there are a lot of negative reviews on here. But I have been with this company a very long time, and have always been treated fairly. Remember, every person has their own story, or their own way of interpreting it. Were some people treated unfairly and justified for lashing out on this site? Possibly. But that's the same with EVERY company. Are there a lot of people who had great experiences here, who haven't updated this site? Of course!

I work here mostly because I believe in the program. The program is extremely strong, and I have been advocating it to people for years. So please, before you pass judgement, look at the thousands of people this program has helped, how many graduates there are all across the globe, and all the benefits of working at this company.

Cons

IIN is at a place now, where it really is a joy to work, but they did have some tough years searching for the right formula. There was high turnover back in 2011 and 2012, which seemed to have conjured up a lot of negative vibes which, in turn, made their way to this site. I understand. I saw a lot of it go down. The company has learned from those years and moved on to create a high-energy, well-managed environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on long-term employment to form a solid foundation for the company to flourish.

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

The benefits (metro card, food, massage, etc.) can easily lure you into this nightmare of a company. There are a lot of quality employees, but unfortunately they are shackled from being a truly independent employee/person by the owner

Cons

JOSHUA ROSENTHAL. When the owner is a con, it's a problem, and with Joshua, there's no shortage of problems. He plays favorites and easily turns on those "favorites". He only wants "yes men" who will agree with every crazy idea he has. Turnover is way too high and no one's job is safe, even the CEO (unless all you do is agree with him). While I was an employee, there was 3-4 rounds of (massive) layoffs and three, yes THREE, CEOs. You will fake happiness from the benefits while being miserable at just the thought of going to work. Fridays will become less joyous because you will just be closer to Monday. There is absolutely no room for growth in this company. It's just an under paid vacuum of your time and soul.

Oh, in case you were wondering why there are so many negative reviews but a few positive ones, it's because Joshua made front desk employees (currently no longer there) write positive reviews as a part of their duties at times.

Advice to Management

Joshua, either sell the company or fire your current executive staff (of your girlfriend's family - who are unqualified), find a real CEO and completely step away so that someone can come in and run it like a normal business.

"Executive"

Pros

Excellent fringe benefits like or breakfast and lunch served in building. Massages and Yoga.

Cons

Difficult CEO. Keeps changing employees roles and keeps them guessing. Likes to change staff every few years.

Advice to Management

Trust the advice of the highly qualified staff that you hire.