Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • As he ages his intent to change the world becomes more up tempo as he time works against him (in 4 reviews)

• the course is good although no one really earns a living as a health coach (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience, no one barks orders at each other (in 9 reviews)

• gossipy and unprofessional work environment (in 7 reviews)

"Want to be a Minion? Then work @IIN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks such as food, snacks, massages, etc. Many students really come out of IIN feeling empowered by the program, although 99% of the graduates can't earn a real living as health coach.

I do think the school does do a lot of good, but the honest glassdoor reviews really tell what it is like working at the school, which ultimately isn’t a good experience.

Cons

IIN is mismanaged by the founder who runs the school from remote locations, he is never in the office. His management style is to dictate every single detail of what needs to get done through email even when it defies common sense and logic. He pits staff members against each other through isolated conversations with individuals. This strategy ensures that the staff doesn't get too close to one another otherwise he may have a mutiny on his hands. So basically, when you are working at IIN you are his minion, period.

His reputation for mistreating his staff is well documented in the lawsuit that accurately reflected his views on pregnant women. Just google “integrative nutrition lawsuit” and read the horrific details. All the positives reviews on Glassdoor are by younger employees who are asked to post positive reviews by the founder, these people really want to believe that all the antics and mass firings are because those people don't understand the "mission", its complete and utter nonsense. If you don't bow down to the founder then you don't get the mission, that's how it goes at IIN. All the senior and talented people were let go in yet another staff purge. Total departments were wiped out over the last year and not because of performance related issues, but because the founder just pushes out any self-thinking person, yah know, "the people who aren't aligned to the mission." In the end, all the founder really wants are his minions! Minions don't ask, they just do as their told.

Advice to Management

There is no real management to give advice to, just the founder, so Joshua if you’re reading this just know the way you treat your staff doesn't go unnoticed. It's not all about you josh.

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Response

Nov 18, 2015 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for sharing your views with us. We value constructive feedback, and are committed to addressing all concerns to improve the employee experience and for the betterment of the company.

"Personally? I love the place!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

How often can you say you work in a place that helps save thousands of lives? Sure I could get jobs elsewhere, but this feels like home. I love what I do and I love the people I work with. That's not how I felt in my last jobs.

Cons

Only work here if you are holistic. The company offers many perks like organic meals, yoga, massage, chiropractor but its definitely not for everyone. A lot of people just don't fit in.

Advice to Management

Please only hire people who love what you do and who walk the talk otherwise they just don't get it.

"Always afraid"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are cool. Free lunch, massages bi-weekly, some transit money, monthly chiropractor.. The mission statement is what attracted me the most.

Cons

Doesn't seem like people care if you are growing here or not. There is high turnover because of the constant fear that you might get laid off. Multiple teams are created and then a week later... doesn't exist anymore since minds are changed.

Advice to Management

Business should create clear goals for the year and create a safer environment by not laying off a huge chunk of people multiple times.

"Bizarre Roller-Coaster-Ride of a Job"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great coworkers who became lifelong friends
    - organic meals and snacks
    - flowers on your desk
    - flexible time off system

Cons

- poor communication between different departments
    - constantly changing (not always for the good) work environment
    - felt like a scam to sell people this "training program" when you can not do much with it; unless you already have a successful wellness business OR are very good at scamming others into thinking you're something that you are not (and they will help you learn to do this... perhaps that's a pro?!)
    - customer service system is set up to provide as little one-on-one service as possible once people in enroll in the program and this leads to a great deal of unnecessarily unhappy customers for staff to deal with
    - bonus pay structure changed monthly (and with every new manager) making it difficult to plan your financial future
    - delusional & narcissistic CEO who acts like a philanthropist in public, but is money-hungry and manipulative behind closed doors
    - ever-rising sales and performance goals keep you feeling stressed and under-appreciated, even if you're a top performer (it's never enough!)

"Don't Get Comfortable"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and snacks, bi-weekly massages, free transit checks

Cons

This company has the potential to be great if they would make sound decisions. The company likes to say that things are constantly changing and the employees must be able to adapt to change; however, those changes come in the form of hiring and then firing when things are not going as the company planned. In just two months 7 employees including 2 VPs and a manager were let go, 4 employees including a manager resigned, and another manager went back to being a rep after only one month in a management role. This is not a good look for a sales team that had less than 30 people including managers.

The marketing department is awful and continuously runs the same promotions over and over. There is a promo just about every month and they are all pretty much the same. The efforts to drive sales are very annoying to the potential students as they are spammed to death in their emails seemingly by several employees which are really just names on emails generated by marketing and not actual employees at all. Marketing needs a serious overhaul and people who know what they are doing and know how to reach and attract their target market.

I enjoyed my very short time at IIN, but it is a very unstable place to work and anyone just coming in should be very aware of this and not get too comfortable. This should be considered a temporary place and you should really keep looking for other opportunities because IIN fires with no warning. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people just to fire them when your own plans do not pan out. Look to the real cause of the issue and fix that. Hiring and firing people on a whim is terrible for employee morale and also for company reputation.

"this place is awesome"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

love that it is mission driven, love the course, awesome people who are very into health and wellness, g

Cons

CEO is more mission driven than financially driven

Advice to Management

work as a team

"Great experience working for a mission driven organization! This is a fun & fast paced work environment."

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

-Great work environment. The office feels like home!
    -Fellow staff are fabulous. Everyone believes in the mission and works hard to drive the school forward. It feels great working for a company whose values & mission align with your own!
    -Fast paced work environment is great if you thrive off that, for some, it may be too fast paced.
    -Staff are encouraged and empowered to think on their own, use their creativity to inform projects
    -The benefits are amazing: metrocard, organic lunches & breakfast, in-house massages!
    -Really nice work/life balance. Staff is encouraged to take their vacation time. As an employee we get summer fridays and an amazing christmas break!

Cons

-Training is limited, you are sort of thrown right in. This can be great, if you handle it, but can also be overwhelming to some
    -Change is a constant because of the fast paced environment.
    -Management/leadership changes often as well

"Passionate mission driven perfect for many"

Current Employee - Teaching and Learning Coach in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching and Learning Coach in New York, NY

Pros

I’m nearing the end of a very long career and thought that I had pretty much seen everything. Then three years ago I started work for the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) a most unusual and welcome place. It was the energy of difference that first struck me. Active, healthy engaged people responding during the workday to the frenzy of hyper-growth and ending the day at peace with onsite free yoga. A communal healthy lunch, a funky but attractive headquarters largely devoid of hierarchy and a passionate visionary leader so intent on making the world a better place it is easy for some to misinterpret his intent.

Working at IIN for me is great. But, it is what you make of it. The pulse is passion, the tempo is quick and the mission immediate. If you thrive in this environment, enjoy the uncertainty of creating change and want to be part of something bigger than yourself you will love IIN.
    IIN’s business model is unique. It is a for-profit company that operates like a non-profit. Its market position generates plenty of income and that income is used to increase customer and team member value. Several times a year IIN offers to its students and graduates free continuing education in the form of live conferences featuring the world’s experts. The most recent conference was headlined by DePak Chopra, Ariana Huffington and Christian Northrup. The most recent company retreat was a winter break weekend on Miami Beach.
    IIN is a global education company headquartered in New York. With students in over 70 countries IIN continues to provide continuing education around the globe including Helsinki, Geneva, Mexico City, London, Toronto and Sydney.

IIN would not be the company it is except for the kindness of Joshua Rosenthal. As a person he is generous, engaged, interested and future focused. As he ages his intent to change the world becomes more up tempo as he time works against him. If you merely seek good pay and benefits IIN is not for you. But, if you want good pay and benefits coupled with work that really matters, is mission driven and can be both exhausting and exhilarating, you will thrive at IIN.

Cons

Advice to Management

Continue to let a powerful mission be the company's compass.

"Employer of Choice, a Dream Come True!"

Current Employee - Student Success Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student Success Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Working at the institute for Integrative Nutrition is a privilege. I am honored to be part of such an amazing company that actually walks its talk, and provides its employees with a culture of values aligned with those it promotes among its students. I go to work every day knowing that I am part of a movement effecting health and happiness in the world. And it's awesome to be able to support students as they navigate through the curriculum and share their passions with me. I get to see students take color from their palette to their canvas, painting the most extraordinary masterpieces that represent their unique backgrounds and stories.

As an employer, IIN respects and values its employees, honoring them for their contributions and acknowledging their skills with exceptional benefits. From massages to health insurance to 401(K) matching to monthly transit check cards, this employer of choice attends to every detail of health. Management encourages growth and development, and listens to the concerns and needs of employees. A true partnership exists where each individual is on equal ground. From the incredible facilities staff who keep our work environment immaculate with all-natural sustainable cleaning products to Joshua Rosenthal, founder of the Institute, all are treated with diplomacy and valued. Unlike many other places of employment, there is no exclusivity; all are invited to participate in theme days (during which amazing prizes such as spa gift certificates are awarded, decorations adorn every corner, and a rock-star feast is served for lunch) and company-sponsored retreats (think Miami Beach).

Additionally, employees have the rare opportunity to enroll in the courses offered by the institution on full scholarship. Imagine, you not only get to work in a health-promoting environment, but you get to earn a certificate that will potentially generate additional income and will assist you in developing professionally so that you can advance within the company. Having already completed the Health Coach Training Program, I am fortunate enough to be enrolled in Joshua's newest initiative, the Launch a Book course. Publishing a book has been a goal of mine for a while, and now my place of employment is gifting me the means to achieve it. The above benefits are wonderful and certainly contribute to motivating me to be the best that I can be. However, most profound, is the company's focus on charitable contributions. My breath is continually taken away by the enormous monetary contributions the Institute makes to charities. And, once again, employees have a voice in where the monies are donated. As the foundress and president of a 501 (c) (3) non-profit, I know how important donations are for sustaining efforts and continuing to give to those in need. Charities are at the mercy of companies such as IIN. My charity, among many others, has been touched by Joshua's selfless spirit and recognition that good multiplies.

I speak from my heart. Each day, to and fro work, I express my gratitude for the job that I have. The work environment is unlike any other I have experienced. It's not a job, but a calling; one that I put my whole heart into and that speaks my passion.

Cons

I truly do not have any cons about this employer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the amazing job you're doing!

"Know your job well? Thanks, but no thanks."

Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY

Pros

Great central location in midtown Manhattan
    Great executive chef food served daily, with snacks and treats, all organic and well-done
    Summer Fridays
    9-5:30 work culture
    Working to help people live healthier lives

Cons

Really bad healthcare benefits (probably do better with Obamacare)
    50-60% employee turnover
    Totally incompetent senior management
    Priorities change daily - literally, daily
    If you opt-in on their website, you'll get spammed for life
    People who have no idea what they are doing run meetings and projects which are a total disaster
    Offices are FREEZING cold
    Offices are poorly organized, requiring a lot of trips to the slowest elevators in the world

Advice to Management

They don't listen to advice, so what's the point? They think they know everything.