Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is unmatched (in 6 reviews)

• As he ages his intent to change the world becomes more up tempo as he time works against him (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of stability and high turnover (both voluntary and involuntary) (in 4 reviews)

• I have only been with IIN a short time (in 18 reviews)

"Great place for maternity/paternity"

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

My wife recently gave birth to our first child. To say that I was pleased with how Integrative Nutrition handled my paternity leave, would be an understatement. After speaking with HR, I was happily granted my time-off with ease, able to stagger it as I needed, and had the support of pretty much every department. The entire attitude of the company created a joyous time for me to bond with my child :)

I know that there are a lot of negative reviews on here. But I have been with this company a very long time, and have always been treated fairly. Remember, every person has their own story, or their own way of interpreting it. Were some people treated unfairly and justified for lashing out on this site? Possibly. But that's the same with EVERY company. Are there a lot of people who had great experiences here, who haven't updated this site? Of course!

I work here mostly because I believe in the program. The program is extremely strong, and I have been advocating it to people for years. So please, before you pass judgement, look at the thousands of people this program has helped, how many graduates there are all across the globe, and all the benefits of working at this company.

Cons

IIN is at a place now, where it really is a joy to work, but they did have some tough years searching for the right formula. There was high turnover back in 2011 and 2012, which seemed to have conjured up a lot of negative vibes which, in turn, made their way to this site. I understand. I saw a lot of it go down. The company has learned from those years and moved on to create a high-energy, well-managed environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on long-term employment to form a solid foundation for the company to flourish.

"Don't Work Here"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

The benefits (metro card, food, massage, etc.) can easily lure you into this nightmare of a company. There are a lot of quality employees, but unfortunately they are shackled from being a truly independent employee/person by the owner

Cons

JOSHUA ROSENTHAL. When the owner is a con, it's a problem, and with Joshua, there's no shortage of problems. He plays favorites and easily turns on those "favorites". He only wants "yes men" who will agree with every crazy idea he has. Turnover is way too high and no one's job is safe, even the CEO (unless all you do is agree with him). While I was an employee, there was 3-4 rounds of (massive) layoffs and three, yes THREE, CEOs. You will fake happiness from the benefits while being miserable at just the thought of going to work. Fridays will become less joyous because you will just be closer to Monday. There is absolutely no room for growth in this company. It's just an under paid vacuum of your time and soul.

Oh, in case you were wondering why there are so many negative reviews but a few positive ones, it's because Joshua made front desk employees (currently no longer there) write positive reviews as a part of their duties at times.

Advice to Management

Joshua, either sell the company or fire your current executive staff (of your girlfriend's family - who are unqualified), find a real CEO and completely step away so that someone can come in and run it like a normal business.

"Executive"

Pros

Excellent fringe benefits like or breakfast and lunch served in building. Massages and Yoga.

Cons

Difficult CEO. Keeps changing employees roles and keeps them guessing. Likes to change staff every few years.

Advice to Management

Trust the advice of the highly qualified staff that you hire.

"Good + bad"

Pros

- amazing, fun, caring group of people on staff
    - delicious food
    - often get to wear several different hats and try different jobs

Cons

- no rhyme or reason to CEO's whims
    - absolutely no job security
    - CEO delivers verbal abuse and manipulation

"Why you should NOT work here or enroll in the program"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

- monthly metrocards
    - biweekly massages
    - breakfast and lunch provided

Cons

- terrible place to work, mainly because of Joshua Rosenthal, who is essentially a manic dictator, and no one dares to speak out against him for fear of getting fired
    - people get hired based on random reasons, not based on experience or merit
    - no official HR process for promotions - Joshua pretty much decides who he wants to promote and gives raises to whoever he wants, whenever he wants (he has a thing for blonde females)
    - gossipy and unprofessional work environment

Advice to Management

there is no management - it's just Joshua. get it together and become a real company that actually produces a legit and honest product.

"Excellent product; mis-managed workplace"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who are attracted to working at IIN are all wonderful and motivated by a genuine desire to work for a company that makes a difference in a positive way.

Cons

Senior management was chaotic at best, a typical start-up culture run hay-wire when rapid expansion proved more tempting than thoughtful, strategic growth.

Advice to Management

It's not enough to provide massages, healthy food, etc. Ultimately, what employees want is a workplace where they can look up to the leadership and trust in the vision of the management. It's sad to see such a wonderful product be undermined by the mis-managed internal workings of the company.

"Opportunity to make a difference"

I have been working at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

IIN is at the forefront of health and wellness and works tirelessly to stay there. Because of this, it is a dynamic work environment. I am enjoying it because I get to tap in to my entrepreneurial spirit and be creative. I think that IIN is giving me the tools and support that I need to flourish. If you have a strong work ethic and are a team player, there are many opportunities for you.

The impact that IIN has on its students is incredible. Since I started working here, I have met many graduates who, with great enthusiasm, have told me how IIN’s health coaching program has helped them and, in turn, their clients. The program also inspires graduates to start successful businesses distinct from health coaching. IIN makes a difference in peoples’ lives. I’m happy to be a part of that.

Cons

I read the Glassdoor reviews before I accepted a position with IIN. My view is that if you are not a self-motivated, hardworking person who can work in a dynamic environment, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Make it clear to applicants that industry leaders cannot remain stagnant and that IIN needs employees who can embrace change.

"ups and downs"

Former Employee - Director of Media Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Media Production in New York, NY

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people and a workplace that is dynamic and full of creative impulse

Cons

100% management turnover rate based on constant owner-centric reorganization

Advice to Management

stop changing the business model and allow management time to execute goals

"Good people, chaotic business"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

There were really amazing people who worked here.

Cons

The business was always flip-flopping, changing its priorities, making last minute initiatives, etc.

Advice to Management

Slow down and stabilize

"Just say no"

I worked at Institute for Integrative Nutrition full-time

Pros

Amazing coworkers that will become some of your best friends. Everyone who works at IIN is smart, creative and into the same things (health, fitness, wellness, etc) so it's easy to create bonds. Free lunch, massages, chiropractic adjustments, quarterly outings, staff retreats, holiday parties...great perks, yes, but they are all a part of the plan.

Cons

Oh let's see, where to begin...
    -the founder/CEO/owner is a dictator and runs the lives of the people higher up in the company. He listens to the advice of no one and is only looking out for one person, himself.
    -Mass layoffs are a regular thing and anyone can be fired for no reason at the drop of a hat.
    -Zero growth potential, regardless of how hard you work/how long you have been with the organization.
    -HR does nothing to assist staff, listen to feedback or give advice
    Someone else said it, but the staff AND the students deserve better than what they are currently receiving from the school.

Advice to Management

There is no point in even filling this section out because NO ONE WILL LISTEN ANYWAYS.

Institute for Integrative Nutrition Response

Nov 18, 2015 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for sharing your views with us. We value constructive feedback, and are committed to addressing all concerns to improve the employee experience and for the betterment of the company.