Institute for the Redesign of Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Nancy J. Lavelle
  1. "Family Environment"

Current Employee - California in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time

Pros

Inclusive, different, supportive, friendly, dedicated

Cons

Pay is not competitive compared to other companies.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2018-08-10

August 13, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback, it helps us to continually work toward making IRL a great place to work. We work hard to create a work environment that is inclusive and supportive, that has a "family feel." We have been making great strides in making our compensation and benefits attractive and competitive over the last few years. We will continue to do so.

2. "Great job!"

Current Employee - Teacher's Aide in South Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for learning! The staff is great!

Cons

The pay is not great

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2019-07-31
  3. "Teamwork"

Current Employee - Teacher Specialist in South Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working at the Institute has allowed me to fulfill my calling of being a teacher. I am so grateful and blessed to have found the Institute and have had the honor to work with the leadership team. Dr. Lavelle and Edward Amey along with their admin team have kept the vision alive and well. Every staff member in every position is critical to our overall success.

Cons

I am sad that there are some staff over the years that have not been able to stay. But I am grateful for the time they were with us. I only hope some of the Taking Charge philosophy and principles have been taken with them.

Advice to Management

Always stay true to the vision but have the insights that will allow us to grow and prosper and empower staff and families. Keep listening and keep learning.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2017-07-13

September 6, 2018Managing Director

Thanks for this helpful feedback. We earnestly seek to stay true to our mission and vision. And listening to feedback from great employees such as yourself helps us do just that!

4. "Almansor Academy"

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time

Pros

Staff is friendly. Program for students is inclusive.

Cons

parking is weird, staff turnaround, unprofessional attire.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2017-04-19

April 24, 2017Managing Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are always seeking to improve. Staff retention and professional attire are certainly important to us. We continue to endeavor in these areas.

"Good Opportunity to Learn - VERY Hard to keep up UoS"

I worked at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and supervisors. Indvidual and group supervision so you get your hours FAST. Training in MAP and TF CBT

Cons

Very high Units of Service requirement. LOTS of driving on some of the worst freeways in LA and late nights, with 1-2 hours of notes at home makes for long hard days.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2017-03-19

"Case overload"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in South Pasadena, CA

Pros

Therapist has some freedom with clients Great fellow therapists

Cons

To many cases compared to other similar organizations with lower pay scale, paper work is over the top and micro managed, program managers are paper pushers no care for clients

Advice to Management

Please pay salary according to market value, you get monies from state and local funding agencies according to market rate per capita. Also keep client load to what other agencies have in the marketplace.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2017-03-27

April 3, 2017Managing Director

Thank you for this feedback, we value our employees' insights and experiences. We strive to provide competitive salaries and salary increases commensurate with performance and longevity. IRL endeavors to match our workloads to the requirements of our contracts. We thank you for all you do in the service of IRL's clients.

"Clinical Services Department"

in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning

Pros

great place to work, lots of support given. I also felt that I was well supported in my desire to grow within the company and be promoted. I feel like I work with a great and supportive team every day and love helping the families we serve.

Cons

I don't have any cons to report.

Advice to Management

To continue to hear concerns and continue to help staff grow to their potential.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2016-10-27

October 31, 2016Managing Director

Thank you for this feedback. It is a high priority for the leadership of IRL to help our employees grow, both personally and professionally; and listening to our team is the most important step in that process.

8. "Clinical Services Department"

Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator in South Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Institute for the Redesign of Learning full-time

Pros

I have been with this agency for over 17 years. I have had 3 promotions during this time. I really appreciate the fact that you can grow at this agency. This agency believes that every person is whole, able and complete and that every person has great capability, from the clients to the staff. Staff are treated very professionally here. The administrative is very supportive and has high ethical standards.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to report other than the extensive DMH paperwork which is a requirement of any DMH contracted agency.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advise for the management as I believe that the management is constantly seeking ways to support and appreciate the employees that work here.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2016-10-27

October 31, 2016Managing Director

Thank you for this feedback, and for your contributions to the success of IRL.

9. "Best starting point for a Special Ed Teacher"

Special Education Teacher in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Institute for the Redesign of Learning

Pros

Great colleagues to work with and an excellent environment to receive the necessary experience to advance my career. Teachers with more experience (some with 30, 35 or 40 years with the organization) were more than willing to help and guide me throughout my stay here. I really appreciated the school mindset that students always came first. Teaching special needs students really takes a lot of sacrifice, working... at this organization really made me feel that my sacrifices were truly needed and appreciated.

Cons

As a special needs non-public school, I knew going in that compensation was not going to be that competitive. If not for the fact that I now have a mortgage and am starting a family, I would not have made the jump to a well financed school district. Although I don't have the solution, if IRL could have paid their teachers more, I would still be there. Although, I do hope to go back one day.

Advice to Management

Although this year's employee bonus was a great surprise and it did demonstrate the commitment of management to their employees, employee compensation is perhaps the number reason for employees, like myself, leaving. It's a great place to work and a great place for special needs students to learn. If management can figure out how to pay more competitive wages, you will have many more 30 to 40 year employees. Lots... of luck.

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2016-10-24

October 31, 2016Managing Director

Thank you for this important feedback. Leadership at IRL is continuously seeking ways to increase the rates were are paid to serve the special needs population, and therefore, increase the revenue of the organization in order to have the financial ability to increase salaries. We hate losing great employees like you, and wish great success in your next endeavor.

10. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Job Coach in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Institute for the Redesign of Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with special needs kids/adults

Cons

management is horrible. HORRIBLE. They have no boundaries, no professionalism, pretty sure they have broken ethical standards for working with special needs clients, all around awful employer

Advice to Management

FIRE THEM -at the pasadena Almansor center .

Institute for the Redesign of Learning2016-10-19

October 24, 2016Managing Director

We appreciate feedback that helps us to improve. We seek diligently to operate with the highest of ethical standards. Our Certifications by the State of California, Accreditation by CARF, and other outside third party entities help us to maintain the highest level of ethical practice and quality of service.

Found 16 reviews