Institute of Reading Development Reading Instructor Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Reading Instructor Reviews

Updated 15 de Jul 2018

1.1
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
  1. "Great for teachers who want to hone their craft"

Former Contractor - Reading Instructor in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for less than a year

Pros

Reimbursement of any and all supplies or costs, paid training, frequent 1:1 time with supervisor, plenty of support from management, training from the comfort of your home, marketable experience. All of the supervisors are extremely passionate about their jobs, and frequently remind you about why you love reading and why this job is meaningful. I definitely felt that I made a difference in the lives of the majority... of my students.

Cons

Transporting materials was the most frustrating part of the job, very easy to burn out, lessons were scripts, main online tool crashes often, good internet is a must, limited/no contact with other teachers in the area: very isolating. If you feel that teaching is not your niche, this job will be nerve-wracking.

Advice to Management

Enact a support system for fellow teachers as a way to cope with the stress of the job. Also, use a stronger server for your teacher management system. 5 out of the 8 weeks I was teaching, some part of the system was non-functional.

Institute of Reading Development2015-09-14

"Terminated with no warning and for reasons that did not exist"

Former Employee - Reading Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was an ideal position while it lasted but turned out to be just awful.

Cons

I was terminated from my position with this company. After several months and several email attempts to get written reason for why I was terminated, I was finally given a response only to find that the reasons they terminated me was because of a question I asked. I had asked to clarify information on their dress code and at what point that dress code is in effect. In her email, I was told that I had asked to adhere... to the dress code which is in no way true. In other words, they terminated me over a miscommunication that was faulted on their end without try to clarify or ask me questions on the issue. It took four attempts at reaching out over the span of three months to get a response. Additionally, when I was terminated, the staff member was late to that meeting but cited my three minute tardiness as another reason for termination when she was five minutes late to our meeting. Seems unprofessional to hold new hires at a higher standard than high up, established employees. This cause for termination cost me $700 as I was moving for the position. I am a soon-to-be graduate student and as you can imagine, $700 can go a long way as opposed to literally wasting it because I was given a position and then was terminated with no notice for reasons that were not even accurate.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Ask first, give warnings, then termination. Terrible, TERRIBLE place to work if this is how you treat people. I minored in organizational communication in undergraduate studies and by textbook definition, you have a lot of learning to do.

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-15