Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Doug Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work from home opportunity (in 101 reviews)

• Working from home of course, Through and complete paid training, no cold calling, selling a legitimate and helpful program backed by years of success (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The program is promoted seasonally, so the position begins as a seasonal position (in 16 reviews)

• I would love to work full time with this company, but the EC position is seasonal (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The most intelligent and compassionate company I've ever had the privilege to work for."

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Riverside, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Warm and direct guidance on becoming an effective teacher, excellent pay, high standards, great co-workers, thorough training, exemplary support, and ground-breaking curriculums and materials

Cons

Challenging both intellectually and logistically. Sometimes it's hard to know how to best support all students' accessing and excelling at various levels of reading development.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work you do!

2. "Enrollment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great opportunity for a seasonal part-time work at home job. The hours are flexible as you get to choose the hours you can work and the pay is good. You feel good about the product you are selling, reading classes. I feel this is a good solid company. They have been around for over 40 years!

Cons

It can be exhausting at times when you are taking call after call. Most calls last longer than 15 minutes each.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job at training and working with enrollment coordinators. The frustrating aspects of the job is getting in touch with sales help when you need immediate help and working on IT issues.

3. "The Institute of Reading Development - Good People, Hard Work, Fair Pay for an at-home Job (Enrollment Coordinator)"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Edmonds, WA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Obviously, the reasons for choosing a work-from-home job are endless. In this age, it is becoming more and more convenient, especially for heads of households, to manage your life at home. However, in my experience, finding these jobs are very very difficult and finding an at-home entry-level position that offers paid training is nigh unheard of. The pros of working for the Institute of Reading Development as an enrollment coordinator are vast. Everybody there that I had the opportunity to meet personally are all very talented and caring people. The training they give you will really help prepare you for the role, immensely. The job legitimately helps people, often children, who are having difficulties reading or who want to get/stay ahead. That being said, the expectations are high, it's fast-faced and not everybody is capable of excelling at this job. The pay is very good with guaranteed hourly wages plus commission opportunities.

Cons

It's a seasonal position. Some days can be quite stressful. The job is often a test of willpower to consistently utilize all of your training and figure out what works best for you, as well. Some days there can be large time gaps between calls, others there could be back-to-back calls.

Advice to Management

The only advice i would have for management would be to allow the best enrollment coordinators to set their own time limit after the calls before you take another one (at a limit, of course, possibly 30-60 seconds). I would often have liked to take a moment to write a few notes or reflect for a moment on a call but on some days in the higher queues the back-to-back calls afford little to no time beyond taking a sip of water and thus, I would forget certain "aha!" moments that I know could have helped me be a better enrollment coordinator.

4. "Excellent Work From Home Job!"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Wonderful training and support your provided with all the tools to be successful at the position. The pay is also above average for a work from home job!

Cons

It's such a great program, I feel that it would be nice if all programs were offered year around.

5. "Experience as an Enrollment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Legitimate work from home positions, Supportive Supervisors and Staff, Potential for great financial return (good paycheck) and the opportunity to help parents and students.

Cons

Fast paced environment so there is occasionally a lag time in communication.

Advice to Management

Management (especially supervisors) is doing an outstanding job in a fast paced environment!

6. "Enrollment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Bay Village, OH
    Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Bay Village, OH

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a company that employs positive, passionate, caring supervisors that truly want the enrollment coordinator to succeed after the initial training. Training provided is top notch and very structured. All training staff, supervisors , IT department and customer service staff were extremely helpful. Institute of Reading Development has a great philosophy of understanding & knowledge of reading development at all ages and their mission in helping families to meet those needs. Best part-time, work at home job!

Cons

I would love to work full time with this company, but the EC position is seasonal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I loved working and learned so much from every training session that was provided throughout my work with IRD.

7. "Great Company and Program."

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Troy, MI

Pros

The Institute of Reading Development is a remarkable company to be employed by. They offer effective training and support throughout your employment and not just at the offset. They are an honest and caring organization that have lasted as long as they have as an institution due to their scruples and mission to help people. You get a genuine sense that they seek to do good by their employees and in turn you naturally feel a duty to do good by them. The work itself is very rewarding for anyone with an innate streak of altruism looking to help others in their quest for literacy. I enjoy my remote seasonal position with the institute. It allows me to work in solitude, do something positive for others, avoid the burdens and frustrations of commuting, and live in privacy while still maintaining contact with other people. The pay is very fair with a commission structure that allows for a living wage for those that produce results. I have a background in sales but this position feels nothing like a sales position. This is truly the best "job" I've ever had.

Cons

I cannot think of one thing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Maintain the positive momentum, core values, and mission of the institute. Salud.

8. "Legitimate organization with a long history that is now embracing technology to help families all over the US."

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home of course, Through and complete paid training, no cold calling, selling a legitimate and helpful program backed by years of success. Flexible hours and fair compensation.

Cons

Like any sales job it’s easy to get burnt out and like any home based job it requires discipline and good problem solving skills.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Most complete training ever experienced!"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

For someone looking to earn some extra money from home, this seasonal position is a great option. The training covers virtually every possible question and fully prepares a person for the work.

Cons

The job is clearly communicated as seasonal, but for someone who is looking for something longer term, this is not it.

10. "Enrollment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely solid organization selling a needed product for children with reading issues. I am approaching my 9th season with excitement and anticipation. Top notch training and management who is deeply involved. Strong collateral material. A very rewarding position. Checks are always on time and company is almost 50 years old. Pretty decent compensation and a position I have highly recommended to my friends.

Cons

Wish it was 12 month position, unfortunately it is seasonal.

Advice to Management

Congratulations on the seamless technology upgrades this past season. Keep up the amazing work. Judy and her crew are the best!