Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Reviews

Updated Oct 28, 2019

3.3
Institute of Reading Development Vice President  Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team really values their employees and treats everyone with trust and respect.

Cons

I haven't experienced any downfalls of working for IRD, it has been a great environment.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-21
  3. "Great Summer Job if you love reading and Kids"

Current Employee - Teacher in Fresno, CA

Pros

Good pay, opportunity for travel, fulfilling work

Cons

Mostly weekend work, non consecutive days off sometimes

Institute of Reading Development2019-08-28

Institute of Reading Development Response

September 11, 2019Institute of Reading Development

Thank you for leaving a review. I’m glad you found your work teaching kids reading skills to be fulfilling. I appreciate your contributions our teaching staff this summer. - John Boyd, Director of Instruction

Continue reading

"I have been employed for 10 years straight"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I'm reading these reviews and thinking... hmm these people did not get the concept of discovering the real issue behind the child's needs and knowing how to apply what we really do to help them. I read one review that said the script was 5 pages long. Wrong. Every script is 1 page. But guess what? I never use a script anymore because I have attended several of the classes with my little granddaughter and I can describe what happens there. And it is magic. My 8-year-old granddaughter is in a gifted program and is reading James Patterson's books meant for 15-year-olds because of our program. The pros: work from your home office, very flexible schedule, helping frustrated parents and struggling children, feeling great about your work. Also, I have many health problems and they have worked with me above and beyond. As far as seasonal work goes, if you are great at your job and listened to their critiques, you can work from February to October. The people who think $370 is a lot of money for an excellent reading program are often hesitant, lack confidence, or the sales ability to make it happen and are laid off first. This is a wonderful job with really caring people.

Cons

The biggest con I can think of is you do get excellent PAID training, but you have to be a self-starter, login on time, take breaks on time and reach out to your supervisor if you feel overwhelmed or like you are on an island on your own. They will make time for you and will listen to your calls and give feedback. No benefits.

Institute of Reading Development2019-07-18

Institute of Reading Development Response

July 24, 2019Executive Assistant to the VP

Thank you very much for your honest and overwhelmingly positive review. It sounds like you really understand the approach that I want all of our coordinators to take with their sales. I know that our coordinators help a lot of parents and make a difference for a lot of students every year. I appreciate you returning to work for us for so many years look forward to having you back. - Tiffany Gilbert, Sales Manager

Continue reading
  5. "It is a good work place"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a really great job. It was easy to learn and training was helpful.

Cons

The training was long and boring. It is only a seasonal position. They act like it's helping families by selling these products.

Institute of Reading Development2019-04-02
  6. Featured Review

"Great company to work for--demanding but rewarding"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

You receive excellent training (for which you are paid) and you have superior support and guidance throughout your 10 weeks of summer work. You might also be able to continue on to work for IRD in the fall in other capacities. The pay rate if decent, and you can make a lot of money over the summer (and there's overtime pay, since the hours in a week are often longer than 40). It's excellent experience for teaching at any level, including college. Great work not only for graduating seniors but for graduate students as well. You also get to work independently for those 10 weeks--so you both have strong supervision but also a sense of freedom and independence.

Cons

I wouldn't consider these "cons"--just things of which to be aware. The training is online and it's full time for about 3+ weeks. The summer work is tough---as in, it requires discipline and commitment. And to be sure, working with young folks at all age levels has its challenges at times (keeping them in their seats! e.g.) and it can be exhausting. IRD is upfront about that---they will make that clear throughout the process. You have to be prepared to give up your summer to this work. You get paid for your prep time as well as in-class time. So the hard work is compensated---that doesn't make it less exhausting though. You also have to have a vehicle---the sites require vehicle travel since you're hauling a lot of books back and forth. You have to be disciplined with time on the days you teach--and organized. Some travel time can be long---you are compensated for anything above 45 mins one-way--aka your commute (and all other travel expenses like tolls and parking fees are covered by IRD).

Institute of Reading Development2019-02-01

"Great summer job"

Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Everyone is really warm and welcoming. The job itself is a lot of fun and very fulfilling.

Cons

You will almost definitely be working weekends. It does make it a bit difficult to have a social life with this job. I don’t really have any friends where I’m currently living, but I imagine trying to have a social life with the schedule I had would be nearly impossible.

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-28
  8. "Everything to Gain"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you never thought you could be successful in a sales position, this is the place for you! Work from home. Save time and money. Good pay. Wonderful training and ongoing coaching from professional, kind supervisors. The calls are fed to you. The callers are primarily parents calling to discuss their children. You have their attention! The product is top notch. You will feel proud to offer it. You will change lives. Imagine how your school experience would have soared if you had strong reading and comprehension skills from the start. Or, a big boost in those skills along the way. You have the opportunity to give that gift to hundreds of children. IRD will teach you how!

Cons

Can’t think of any. Love this job!

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-21
  9. "Great atmosphere to work in!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pros for me were working from my home office all the while having a great tech support team and customer service team just in case I needed guidance.

Cons

I really don't have any cons with the exception of some dropped calls which is beyond anyone's control.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-31

"Great Job, Hard Work"

Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids are wonderful, the training is top notch, and the company provides a ton of support.

Cons

The work is physically exhausting--sometimes you're teaching for 10 hours without a break--and there is a lot of transport of materials that adds up to be more time and labor than expected.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-27