Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Reviews

Updated Oct 28, 2019

3.3
Institute of Reading Development Vice President  Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
  1. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team really values their employees and treats everyone with trust and respect.

Cons

I haven't experienced any downfalls of working for IRD, it has been a great environment.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-21
  4. "There's better straight commish jobs than this one."

Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good product and lots of leads. Although the lead is generated under the idea it's as a free service.

Cons

I had my best week in sales and they fired me...err..."laid me off". I went on to become a top producer at another straight commission job where I'm consistently top 10 out of 140 reps. They don't know how to judge or keep their talent.

Advice to Management

Judging people by their data entry skills over sales skill is bad mistake.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-16
  5. "A bit misleading"

Former Employee - Reading Teacher

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, lots of training, hotline to call for help

Cons

Expensive for parents, hundreds of pounds of materials are mailed to your house, the interview process was misleading as to what the position actually entails, they want you to drink the corporate koolaid

Advice to Management

Be more clear upfront about what the job entails. There is a lot of driving, extra hours for calling parents and inputting data, and a lot of things that students and parents need are not in the training. Spend one day talking about answering parent's questions and how to help special needs children, and this will be a much better experience. At least half of my kids in each class were special needs, if not more.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-15
  6. "Really great seasonal sales position"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Making a difference for students and parents Good money Part-time hours for full-time pay

Cons

Seasonal Commission only with a guarantee, but no base plus commission structure which is preferred

Advice to Management

Go back to hourly plus commission for higher morale

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-11
  7. "Salary"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

The work with the kids is very rewarding

Cons

You will likely work on the weekends

Institute of Reading Development2019-09-07
  8. "Great Summer Job if you love reading and Kids"

Current Employee - Teacher in Fresno, CA

Pros

Good pay, opportunity for travel, fulfilling work

Cons

Mostly weekend work, non consecutive days off sometimes

Institute of Reading Development2019-08-28

"Summer Position for College Students Looking to Make A Little Cash"

Current Employee - Reading Teacher in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Experience with all age groups

Cons

This is only a position for college students who live at home. It won't pay your bills and doesn't leave you enough time for a 2nd job.

Institute of Reading Development2019-07-26

"I have been employed for 10 years straight"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I'm reading these reviews and thinking... hmm these people did not get the concept of discovering the real issue behind the child's needs and knowing how to apply what we really do to help them. I read one review that said the script was 5 pages long. Wrong. Every script is 1 page. But guess what? I never use a script anymore because I have attended several of the classes with my little granddaughter and I can describe what happens there. And it is magic. My 8-year-old granddaughter is in a gifted program and is reading James Patterson's books meant for 15-year-olds because of our program. The pros: work from your home office, very flexible schedule, helping frustrated parents and struggling children, feeling great about your work. Also, I have many health problems and they have worked with me above and beyond. As far as seasonal work goes, if you are great at your job and listened to their critiques, you can work from February to October. The people who think $370 is a lot of money for an excellent reading program are often hesitant, lack confidence, or the sales ability to make it happen and are laid off first. This is a wonderful job with really caring people.

Cons

The biggest con I can think of is you do get excellent PAID training, but you have to be a self-starter, login on time, take breaks on time and reach out to your supervisor if you feel overwhelmed or like you are on an island on your own. They will make time for you and will listen to your calls and give feedback. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Change the repetitive yearly training for veterans. It's so boring!

Institute of Reading Development2019-07-18