Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Institute of Reading Development Reviews

Updated 28 Oct 2019

3.3
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans

"Teacher Review"

Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for more than a year

Pros

You will get to teach a lot of wonderful kids. You will have a lot of autonomy in the classroom; the lesson plans are very detailed and cover every minute of class, but no one's standing over you preventing you from customizing them.

Cons

Training doesn't really translate well into classroom performance--doing a mock lesson for 5 peers on a computer monitor is very different than teaching an actual class. I found teaching the actual class easier than the training, which really measures your abilities as an actor more than as a teacher. The training is helpful for a newcomer, but not a good means for assessing teachers. Also, a lot depends on the... particular people you work with at IRD; I taught for them 2 years, and my supervisor the first year was great, the second year not so great.

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-03

"Good Temporary Summer Teaching Gig"

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

You can travel if you'd like, reimbursement for almost everything, good work experience, no education background required, good teaching philosophy and education goals, lesson plans prepared for you. Paid job training. Overall positive learning environment for teachers, students, and parents.

Cons

Lesson plans are prepared for you, so you do not have a ton of flexibility with what you teach or how you teach it. Logistical issues are common in both the classroom and the company. Schedule is sometimes great sometimes terrible, but you have little choice in what they offer.

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-01

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to keep the teaching materials at the end of my employment.

Cons

IRD doesn't care about their employees. They are extremely rigid about their curriculum, and if you don't agree with something they do, they might fire you. Furthermore, this job is very difficult to do if you're in NYC because they expect you to have a car (but don't provide parking at the teaching locations) and they expect you to hold 15 boxes of books in your apartment.

Advice to Management

Update your curriculum, allow for teachers to use their creativity instead of following a set script, and use more inclusive and current texts.

Institute of Reading Development2018-09-03

"Good temporary work"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home decent pay

Cons

Too many problems with thier servers job is only temporary.

Advice to Management

You don't take advice

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-03
  5. "Everything to Gain"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you never thought you could be successful in a sales position, this is the place for you! Work from home. Save time and money. Good pay. Wonderful training and ongoing coaching from professional, kind supervisors. The calls are fed to you. The callers are primarily parents calling to discuss their children. You have their attention! The product is top notch. You will feel proud to offer it. You will change... lives. Imagine how your school experience would have soared if you had strong reading and comprehension skills from the start. Or, a big boost in those skills along the way. You have the opportunity to give that gift to hundreds of children. IRD will teach you how!

Cons

Can’t think of any. Love this job!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-21

"Not worth the effort"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training program and support from the supervisors--they teach you exactly how to sell the program, how to use the application, how to answer questions, and mostly everything that you need to know about children's reading development for this job, flexible schedule, pay is on time, work from home, you get to have interesting conversations with lots of different people of all ages and backgrounds, and the... programs work and really do help children succeed in school which is the most rewarding part of the job.

Cons

Pull up a chair. This is the most greedy company that I have ever worked for, the pay is ridiculously low for the amount of money that you're making the company and the amount of effort it takes to convince someone over the phone in 20 minutes to make a $400 commitment. These greedy people have designed the "commission structure" to make it seem like you're making an additional income based on each program that... you sell while guaranteeing an hourly minimum of $12-15 per hour. The catch is that it is nearly impossible to sell enough programs at a lousy 6.5-7% during a pay period to the point where your earned commission outweighs the hourly minimum rate. I worked full time and was successful at the job enrolling hundreds of families but only made additional income one pay period. So even if you're performing really well, you're still only getting paid around $12-13 per hour to do a difficult sales job, GREAT! That's what I made delivering pizza in high school! Most of the management could care less about the EC's, you are nothing but a number to them. They expect the world out of you while compensating you as if you're a low skilled McDonald's worker. You are never right and your opinion is rarely ever valued. They will threaten you with termination if your numbers drop even slightly or you have an off week. They blame the EC's for nearly everything--technical issues, customers hanging up as soon as they hear the price, disconnects, etc. there's a reason why they are an "at will" employer, so that they can drop you at the drop of a dime! They market to low income areas and still expect you to sell the program to parents in these areas somehow, they do have a scholarship program but are extremely stingy with giving out scholarships--they were all gone after the first month of the season so from April to June you're left in a situation where you have to explain to low income parents that there are no more scholarships available and there's nothing we can do to accommodate your child at this time, which made me feel horrible--not what I thought I was signing up for. They will work you like a dog if you're a successful EC--they had me working nearly all my available hours (40+), selling additional programs that included writing, and then would message me almost everyday after I had just worked an exhausting 8 hour shift taking nonstop back to back calls to stay an extra hour and take a few more calls, unbelievable! They lie and tell you that they are more busy on holidays to get you to schedule. They demand maximum effort for very low pay, it reminds me of a sweat shop. All they care about is $$$, they have no respect for you as a person. I would only recommend this job if you're desperate for income, you're disabled, or are a stay at home parent.

Advice to Management

You invited me back for the next season because I was successful (over 80k in sales in 3 months) but I am happy to say that I WILL NOT BE RETURNING! I refuse to make anymore money for your greedy organization. Great company mission, but PAY your employees!

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-14

"Decent Place but Not Accommodating"

Former Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

they pay decently, give you a lot of work, and are friendly for the most part. Also, the interview and training is kind of scary at first but it really takes you out of your shell and teaches you a lot of beneficial skills.

Cons

The people are... I don't even know how to phrase this, but the people are too happy. It sounds weird, but that's the only accurate way I can think of phrasing that. They expect you to be super, overly happy, but ALL THE TIME. It's kind of like a cult. The training is long and can be embarrassing if you're shy, and is fast paced. They make you write down and turn in ridiculous amounts of data - miles, etc (though... that is for purposes of reimbursement to the employee, at a set rate per mile). It can be a lot of work at time; if you're juggling two jobs, you should probably get ready to either pick one, or just fully dedicate yourself to both. The biggest con, personally, is that they can be cold in their fake willingness to accommodate you. They act like they are sympa/empathetic if you're experiencing some really life-changing issues, but you can feel that they aren't, and it shows in their attitudes with you, as well as many other aspects of your employment. You are freelance teaching, lugging really heavy books to and fro classroom to car and back, there are only three levels of stairs at times or the parking is miles away and you're carrying your entire day's worth of classes books. You have to teach strictly their curriculum and are unable to add anything or change that which doesn't work; why are they hiring experienced teachers or those with higher-education if they do not want our input? The hours can be grueling, especially with the dress code, so dress smart - especially with shoes! This is not to say the learning experience isn't beneficial, just that it can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Please be more accommodating to people experiencing issues beyond their control. Other than that, you guys are awesome, and I really do miss working with you.

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-16

"Enrollment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home so no expenses except the headset you need. They do well to work within your schedule availability. Interesting conversations with parents. Guaranteed $11 / hour and they pay on time.

Cons

Their Marketing Materials to parents does not prepare them for the tuition so you spend a lot of time trying to overcome the cost for 5 classes. The cost is actually very good for what it is, but since the caller has no idea it is hard to overcome their surprise. Metrics are hard to meet. You find a LOT of sketchy things going on by other ECs because they're trying to meet the numbers. There isn't any recourse to... them. All of your supervisors are overworked and wearing too many hats so there's not near as much support as they claim unless you're in the top of the sales team. Season ends early, so don't count on the date they give you. You pay back commissions for refunds so chances are by the end of the season, you made less than $11/hr. Hard to ever get missing pay stub or commission payment paper. Never feel valuable or appreciated even when you're doing a decent job.

Advice to Management

Actually have a punishment for the ECs who are creating multiple students under the FID or even creating a new FID for a family so they get the base commission. Work closer with your people. I essentially worked second shift and never got any additional training except for 2 phone calls in 8 weeks. Instead of hiring waves and waves of new ECs, focus on strengthening the ones you have so you don't have quite as many... layoffs to do.

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-03

"Hard Work, Pay Not Great"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

Thorough training, my supervisors have actually been awesome people, unlike some of the reviews I've read

Cons

You take this job home with you. You teach for 6 - 7 hours, then you have to do all kinds of data entry when you get home

Advice to Management

Find a way to pay teachers more

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-01

"For Type A organized individuals"

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Children are sweet and it is exciting to see their faces light up when they are learning to read.

Cons

Misconstrued information at times, long commute in bigger regions/cities.

Institute of Reading Development2018-06-15