Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Reviews

Updated Oct 28, 2019

3.3
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans

"experienced teachers need not apply"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

teach reading to kids of all different ages

Cons

driving all day---poor training---burn out by July

Advice to Management

Hire seasoned teachers who know what they're doing instead of 21 year college grads only

Institute of Reading Development2018-04-11

"Very disappointing - EC"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

They do have reading programs, so that’s something. They’ve invested a lot of time in their scripts, so that’s something.

Cons

All of the negative reviews are accurate. The technology is awful, slow, glitchy, and prone to breaking. They’ll micro manage you to the point where it’s nauseating. They’ll score you based on number of callers whose info you’ve capture, however, they’ll penalize you when their tech breaks down, when the caller hangs up, when the call never came through, when you get a butt dial, when you reject a call 3... minutes before the end of your shift. You get the idea. Numbers, not quality. Their marketing material leaves parents guessing. Many callers assume the course is free. Many callers are from low income areas and it’s pretty sad when they have a child that’s clearly struggling, but they can’t enroll them. They do offer scholarships in select areas, so that’s something. The script is absurdly long. I’m talking about 5 pages here. A lot of the verbiage is plain old hype and buzz words, which is often painfully obvious to the callers. You should expect calls with kids screaming in your ears and from people who are generally going about their day not expecting your 5 page sales script. If the caller doesn’t speak English, guess what? They expect you to throw that 5 page script at them anyway. At a minimum, get all of their personal details. Before long you’ll have a finely attuned ear for accents.

Institute of Reading Development2018-04-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Work From home"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Work from home, with a flexible 7 day work week options (including two weekend days/month) schedule (you need 40h to make the said 20-30/h pay); quick training (6 days);

Cons

Use your computer and equipment; no benefits; all commission; short period of employment (March - July); want you to “study” all sorts of information before first interview without letting you know too much about the details of the job.

Institute of Reading Development2018-03-01

"Great Job, Hard Work"

Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids are wonderful, the training is top notch, and the company provides a ton of support.

Cons

The work is physically exhausting--sometimes you're teaching for 10 hours without a break--and there is a lot of transport of materials that adds up to be more time and labor than expected.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-27

"Nice pay, but they are not honest about hiring and training"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Pay is good for a college student.

Cons

They may hire you and then let you go if there are not enough classes in your area. You have not control whatsoever over your schedule, it's like they expect you not to have a life for that summer.

Institute of Reading Development2018-02-12
  7. "Great atmosphere to work in!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pros for me were working from my home office all the while having a great tech support team and customer service team just in case I needed guidance.

Cons

I really don't have any cons with the exception of some dropped calls which is beyond anyone's control.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-31

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a work from home job.

Cons

Every con that has been posted about this company is true. The technology is old and difficult. The company is unsupportive when having technical issues. The management is rigid and does little to aid new employees in their development. The hourly rate quoted that salespeople earn is unrealistic. People were fired at a moment's notices. This was a complete waste of time on my part-time. Please consider... something with better training goals and better systems. When start you will receive calls from areas that can not afford their products and these people are completely upset that they can not purchase products to help their children read and they know they are doing this.

Advice to Management

Come up with a new system.

Institute of Reading Development2018-02-15
  9. "BEST WORK AT HOME JOB. HARD TO FIND A COMPANY LIKE THIS"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training was excellent and the staff is wonderful to work with. It is very difficult to find a legitimate work from home job but this company is honest and does what they say they will do. They help parents and kids that really benefit from our programs. Parents were very relieved that we can offer a service that really helps their kids.

Cons

The only downside is the seasonal position but they have a good reason. They don't want to interfere with kids school teachers so it is promoted during the summer months.

Advice to Management

Nothing everything is perfect but being asked back for the upcoming season would be my only advice.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-09

"Wonderful opportunity and Great Company"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

The training was very thorough and I received great support throughout my working hours. There is plenty of opportunity to increase pay through their bonus system. Absolutely loved being able to work with parents and prospective students in recommending the appropriate reading program based on levels and goals. Felt a sense of accomplishments and giving back to the overall community.

Cons

It’s only seasonal. Getting hired on for their summer session is very competitive.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-02

"Misleading sales practices and over priced product."

Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

The classes are really there to attend so it's not a total scam.

Cons

They solicit their program as if there is no cost. People think they are getting a one on one tutor but are really being grouped with about 20 others. The money they charge is commensurate with private tutor not a group setting. The classes are pretty average at best.

Advice to Management

Stop misleading people that it is a free program. Cut your prices in half and take less of a salary if you truly want to help people.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-25