Institute of Reading Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Reviews

Updated Oct 28, 2019

3.3
Institute of Reading Development Vice President  Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans

"Be careful"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Flexible hours, paid while training.

Cons

The position was described to me as one of helping parents and students improve reading. In actuality, it is a very hard-sell type of sale with the purpose of getting money through guilt and heart-breaking parental concern. The sales call is highly scripted, and you are let go if you vary from script or don't push hard on every call to squeeze money out of parents during the first contact, even though call backs are possible. Your calls are monitored, of course.

Advice to Management

Update your program materials. They are quite dated.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-08

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Teacher in Portland, OR

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid training, travel, paid hotel, rental car, and some food

Cons

You must be flexible with your time. Ypu cannot miss a day a work.

Institute of Reading Development2017-11-25

"Great Training"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training and on-going training and coaching increases your pay checks. They have made it easy.

Cons

If you aren't doing well you'll be in a slower queue therefore your phone doesn't ring as frequently and you'll be bored. Bring a book.

Advice to Management

Keep it light. Losing a call due to technology should not count against your percentages.

Institute of Reading Development2017-11-04

"IRD: Teaching in the Trenches"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a real teaching job, not for the faint of heart. If you like a good challenge, like I do, then this is the perfect place for you. This is a perfect job for the beginning teacher: I, myself, was still in grad school and completing my MA when I was hired and worked in the summer reading program; I had never been a "real teacher" before taking this position with the IRD, and I found it to be absolutely amazing. This job confirmed for me that yes, indeed, teaching is what I want to do with my career, and my experiences with this company validated the work I had done in my educational career and dispelled, at the same time, any worries lurking in the back of my mind about maybe not wanting to actually be a teacher. The position gave me a perfect place to practice my theoretical and pedagogical notions that I had acquired throughout my years in college, and it showed me exactly what real teaching is: teaching in the trenches. Of course, teaching is a battle--it's a struggle. There is no question about this. But "teaching in the trenches" in this case means learning the ability to tailor your teaching output to individual needs while serving the overall classroom community, it means responding to what you are seeing in a timely and effective manner to achieve the best outcome possible, and it means relying on what you know (and sometimes what you don't know) to get your students to improve in the vast amount of ways that they will. Teaching is by no means easy; it's not a cake walk--if you think it should be, then you need a different profession. The IRD gives you the support you need--even more than you might need--in the journey that you choose to embark on with them. I promise you that if you come to this job with an open mind and a will to succeed, then you will and you will be all the better for it.

Cons

Some of the logistical inner-workings can get messy at times. For example, in the course of my teaching I was once moved from one room to another--in the weeks after the move, parents attending my class from other classes were given the original room location and not the one to where the class had been moved. This created problems for the people coming into my class from the outside because it tainted their picture of who I was, even though I had nothing to do with it, and it just made the IRD look bad and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Keep working and reflecting on how to make your programs better. Don't become stagnant. Push forward in your endeavors to make reading enjoyable and engaging. In my own views of curricula adjustment, I would say these things: (1) think about using a book besides Fellowship in the high school program--while this book is a classic and it's probably very good for practicing LSU, it is intimidating to some of the students who struggle with reading and participating in classroom discussions; (2) make the nonfiction readings more engaging--lots of times they feel sort of "tacked onto" the lesson plan and digressive; and (3) think about bringing analysis into the high school classroom, even something as simple as analyzing, on a very minute level, poetry--something like this, I feel, would be very rewards and engaging for the students, especially with poetry classics.

Institute of Reading Development2017-10-20

"Teacher for Summer Reading Program"

Current Employee - Teacher in Seattle, WA

Pros

I taught for the Institute for the last two summers and I had such a good experience that I fully intend on teaching this upcoming summer as well. I'm a certified teacher in Washington State (although a teaching certification is NOT required for this teaching position) and even with my background, I have still learned so many new strategies on classroom management, one-on-one talks with students, and facilitating discussions,- all through the Institute's training, meetings with my supervisor, and classroom experience. It is definitely a demanding job, however, I always feel the support of the Institute. They are extremely professional, and I know I can always expect a timely if not immediate reply from my supervisor, the hotline, ect. if a question or problem ever arises. If you have a passion for reading and/or education, this job will be extremely rewarding.

Cons

The only downside of this job for me is sometimes the teaching sites are a bit of a drive. This is not the case for everyone, and the Institute acknowledges long commutes by compensating tolls and driving time after 45 minutes.

Advice to Management

I would advise the management to include a few more trainings throughout the summer in which teachers get to share their ideas and strategies with other teachers. My supervisor in supervisor meetings was very helpful with this, but I think it would be nice to hear from other teachers and learn from their techniques as well.

Institute of Reading Development2017-10-25

"Summer Reading Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than a year

Pros

You will get great training in preparing you to teach the Summer Reading programs and you will have great, continual logistical and supervisory support once you start teaching.

Cons

Some of the teaching schedules seemed overly long and arduous.

Advice to Management

To have more opportunities to be a full time member of the IRD team

Institute of Reading Development2017-10-22
  7. "Working here as a teacher was a great first-time experience in teaching"

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working as a teacher was the best because you get to see the results firsthand. I loved working with my supervisor and there was always tons of support. I think you are fairly compensated and I loved the attitude/framework of the organization itself. I have worked here for two summers and they are constantly improving and looking for feedback. I felt 100% prepared to teach with them, so their training is definitely an asset, especially for those without prior teaching experience. The best part is definitely the kids and seeing their improvement!

Cons

Sometimes you are working around a 10-12 hour day, but you should know that coming in, so it wasn't a surprise. Working with high school students can be hard, but they give you skills to help with that.

Institute of Reading Development2017-10-19

"Enrollment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great opportunity for a seasonal part-time work at home job. The hours are flexible as you get to choose the hours you can work and the pay is good. You feel good about the product you are selling, reading classes. I feel this is a good solid company. They have been around for over 40 years!

Cons

It can be exhausting at times when you are taking call after call. Most calls last longer than 15 minutes each.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job at training and working with enrollment coordinators. The frustrating aspects of the job is getting in touch with sales help when you need immediate help and working on IT issues.

Institute of Reading Development2017-09-16

"The Institute of Reading Development - Good People, Hard Work, Fair Pay for an at-home Job (Enrollment Coordinator)"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Edmonds, WA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Obviously, the reasons for choosing a work-from-home job are endless. In this age, it is becoming more and more convenient, especially for heads of households, to manage your life at home. However, in my experience, finding these jobs are very very difficult and finding an at-home entry-level position that offers paid training is nigh unheard of. The pros of working for the Institute of Reading Development as an enrollment coordinator are vast. Everybody there that I had the opportunity to meet personally are all very talented and caring people. The training they give you will really help prepare you for the role, immensely. The job legitimately helps people, often children, who are having difficulties reading or who want to get/stay ahead. That being said, the expectations are high, it's fast-faced and not everybody is capable of excelling at this job. The pay is very good with guaranteed hourly wages plus commission opportunities.

Cons

It's a seasonal position. Some days can be quite stressful. The job is often a test of willpower to consistently utilize all of your training and figure out what works best for you, as well. Some days there can be large time gaps between calls, others there could be back-to-back calls.

Advice to Management

The only advice i would have for management would be to allow the best enrollment coordinators to set their own time limit after the calls before you take another one (at a limit, of course, possibly 30-60 seconds). I would often have liked to take a moment to write a few notes or reflect for a moment on a call but on some days in the higher queues the back-to-back calls afford little to no time beyond taking a sip of water and thus, I would forget certain "aha!" moments that I know could have helped me be a better enrollment coordinator.

Institute of Reading Development2017-09-09
  10. "Excellent Work From Home Job!"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

Wonderful training and support your provided with all the tools to be successful at the position. The pay is also above average for a work from home job!

Cons

It's such a great program, I feel that it would be nice if all programs were offered year around.

Institute of Reading Development2017-09-07