Institute of Reading Development Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Sales

Create your profile to get personalized information

Institute of Reading Development Sales Reviews

Updated 15 Oct 2019

1.4
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
  1. "My overall experience with Institute of Reading Development."

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

The trainers really work with you to make sure you are trained for the job. Very patient, thorough, and attentive. They really have a training system that teaches their employees fast. If you are skilled at sales, and a fast thinker you will do well. Just pay attention and learn your material.

Cons

I did not find any thing that I did not like about this company it was a great experience. To bad its a short term job.

Advice to Management

I love the management team.

Institute of Reading Development2015-07-16
  2. "There's better straight commish jobs than this one."

Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good product and lots of leads. Although the lead is generated under the idea it's as a free service.

Cons

I had my best week in sales and they fired me...err..."laid me off". I went on to become a top producer at another straight commission job where I'm consistently top 10 out of 140 reps. They don't know how to judge or keep their talent.

Advice to Management

Judging people by their data entry skills over sales skill is bad mistake.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-16
  3. "Was not for me"

Former Employee - Phone Sales in Remote, OR

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home and you could use a Mac computer.

Cons

Too much talking. The script you had to use was a book.

Institute of Reading Development2019-07-18
  4. "Negative environment"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

If you are desperate you will have a very small paycheck until you find something else. I will be here for the rest of the week only as I found a better position which a respectable company.

Cons

The only positive was the interview which I was lied to throughout and the training which was also not a real representative of the position.

Advice to Management

Be honest with potential employees. Please stop lying about the potential for $25/hr and the possibility for full time employment.

Institute of Reading Development2019-04-29

"sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

They are friendly and have good training. I enjoyed talking to the families on the phone. Many concerned about helping their kids read since they had really low skills.

Cons

The hours are not the best on weekends and evenings which interferes with family time. The pay is low so not making much money at all waiting around and taking calls.

Advice to Management

Higher pay to employees.

Institute of Reading Development2019-03-05

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training is fantastic here! And constant coaching as you sell.

Cons

Seasonal work. If you are a superstar you will work more months and be offered to come back earlier.

Advice to Management

None, the management was great. Being a work from home job, they were very easily accessible and helpful.

Institute of Reading Development2018-09-18

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a work from home job.

Cons

Every con that has been posted about this company is true. The technology is old and difficult. The company is unsupportive when having technical issues. The management is rigid and does little to aid new employees in their development. The hourly rate quoted that salespeople earn is unrealistic. People were fired at a moment's notices. This was a complete waste of time on my part-time. Please consider... something with better training goals and better systems. When start you will receive calls from areas that can not afford their products and these people are completely upset that they can not purchase products to help their children read and they know they are doing this.

Advice to Management

Come up with a new system.

Institute of Reading Development2018-02-15

"Misleading sales practices and over priced product."

Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

The classes are really there to attend so it's not a total scam.

Cons

They solicit their program as if there is no cost. People think they are getting a one on one tutor but are really being grouped with about 20 others. The money they charge is commensurate with private tutor not a group setting. The classes are pretty average at best.

Advice to Management

Stop misleading people that it is a free program. Cut your prices in half and take less of a salary if you truly want to help people.

Institute of Reading Development2018-01-25
  9. "6% Commission"

Former Freelancer - Sales in Providence, RI

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for less than a year

Pros

Work at Home Inbound Calls Only

Cons

Extremely structured and must be available when they need you. You can spend a lot of time making 10 minute sales presentations without guarantee of being paid for your time. With an average sale of $300 and commission of only $18.00 you need a lot of sales daily to make minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Get a real compensation plan and stop dangling bonus to gloss over lack of pay.

Institute of Reading Development2017-03-07

"Strategically withholds truth to employees and customers"

Sales

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

wfh, no commute, decent training, but not truthful.

Cons

So many cons, don't bother with this company!!! The training is pretty good, albeit a little boring. The premise that fliers are passed out at schools announcing the great reading programs and misleading peopleintothinking it is free. They call in and you announce that the program costs quite a bit of money. It is not worth what it costs, there is no way for poorer people to make payments and the so-called... scholarships are never available. The sales person is supposed to close the customer, but if not they are supposed to capture their information, which they DO NOT want to give you. It is a very difficult sale or capture, especially when you only get calls from rural Mississipi or Louisiana for the entire day. It is ridiculous!!! Terrible pay and confusing pay structure.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic and you will not have the turnover you have in salespeople, Lower your prices!!!! Your program is old fashioned, cheesy, and not interactive enough for today's students!! It is way overpriced considering the reading programs available on the internet.

Institute of Reading Development2016-04-13