Institute of Reading Development Summer Reading Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Summer Reading Teacher Reviews

Updated Oct 24, 2019

4.8
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
  1. "Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24

"Great kids, Good pay"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

Pros

They advertise this (at least in my area) as a summer job where you can make 6 to 8k in 10 weeks with no experience and any degree...and it's really true. I had teaching experience plus two degrees directly related, but many of my colleagues didn't. And they really do pay you well, especially for a recent graduate or grad student. They reimburse you for everything and pay you for every little task. The money is one... of the best parts. On top of that, a lot of my struggling students really do improve and almost all the entering kindergartners leave the program reading. I actually teared up when my first set of students left. You make great bonds with the kids and really do help them. They seem to like the books and the format of the lessons, and parents do, too.

Cons

This is a seasonal full time job. Expect to teach 6 and 8 hour days carrying boxes and boxes of materials and then drive 45 minutes home and have to input data for like a half hour before reviewing your lesson plans for the next day... It's a lot. It makes sense that most of the teachers are in their young 20s because no one else has the time. They pretty much expect you to have no life in the summer and even on... your off days may call you in to sub. Their logistics team is also pretty disorganized, between getting you the right amount of materials, to having you park a mile away from your actual teaching site (remember, you have to drag boxes of materials to each classroom). Someone else said this in their review, too, that all the people that work there (supervisors and higher-ups) are creepily happy and enthusiastic all the time. It doesn't comes off as genuine and makes the company seem culty. Also, some of the books are outdated and have some racist/sexist elements.

Advice to Management

There's got to be a better way to get materials to students than the current trading system. Update some of these older books to ones that don't include racial stereotypes and get some with girl main characters! Every book from 4K to 11th grade has a male main character! Even the books about animals are all male

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-18
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Reading Instuctor"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training, reasonable hours, good pay for something temporary. The supervisors are likable and readily available to help you. Great for people who like working with kids

Cons

Work is very challenging. You need to be very comfortable working with kids and maintaining a high energy level all day

Institute of Reading Development2017-06-17

"The most intelligent and compassionate company I've ever had the privilege to work for."

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Riverside, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Warm and direct guidance on becoming an effective teacher, excellent pay, high standards, great co-workers, thorough training, exemplary support, and ground-breaking curriculums and materials

Cons

Challenging both intellectually and logistically. Sometimes it's hard to know how to best support all students' accessing and excelling at various levels of reading development.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work you do!

Institute of Reading Development2016-10-02
  6. "A Great Company!"

Summer Reading Teacher

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Training is excellent and support is always available when needed. This is an excellent company to work for!

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company.

Institute of Reading Development2016-09-01

"A well-oiled, efficient staff and method"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher

Pros

Timely issuance of paychecks, Open communication between all levels of employees, Effective teacher training videos, Excellent advice from former teachers, Perfect for graduate students during the summer, Excellent culture and values

Cons

There is the possibility to get fired during training, Not a long-term opportunity

Institute of Reading Development2016-05-20

"Great Summer Job"

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Riverside, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very organized structure, easy to follow curriculum, great classes with great kids, very rewarding

Cons

Working weekends, lots of travel time in the car

Institute of Reading Development2016-02-23

"Great summer job"

Former Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love working with kids and are interested in becoming a teacher or keeping up with teaching during the summer, this is a great option. The management is amazing, and training is very thorough so you feel extremely prepared walking into class. All of the lessons plans were pretty fun to teach, which didn't hurt.

Cons

My biggest complaint was that there was some false advertising done on the part of the company, and I had to deal with the angry parents who showed up expecting one type of class and found something quite different. You also have to store a ton of boxes full of materials in your house (15+) and haul those materials back and forth from class.

Institute of Reading Development2015-09-03

"Wonderful Summer Job"

Current Contractor - Summer Reading Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development for more than a year

Pros

I love teaching and I love reading, so this is a great combination for me. They have great training and supervision of their summer reading program teachers. Their lesson plans are very thorough and well tested, so you know exactly what to teach at each session. You have the chance to teach all age levels throughout the summer, from kindergarten to adult. The goals and the content of the program are excellent; I can... get totally behind what they are trying to do, and I am delivering an excellent product.

Cons

The pay should be higher. There is a lot of busywork outside of teaching time such as getting materials together each week, recording assessments online, lesson prep, etc. By the time you add up all those hours, your per hour rate of pay may only be about $12 - 15. You get paid by the class, but some classes are only 1.25 hours long (kindergarten) while others are 2.5 hours and require much more online assessment... recording. So if you end up with a lot of large upper level classes, your compensation per hour is much lower than if you have a lot of lower level classes.

Advice to Management

Increase the rate of pay for returning teachers who have proved themselves over more than one term. Pay a bonus for upper level classes that are over a certain level of enrollment.

Institute of Reading Development2015-08-16

"IRD Reading Teacher"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Seattle, WA

Pros

If you love teaching and working with kids, this is a great summer job that will help solidify your classroom management and organizational strategies. The staff is as supportive as they can be, as all communication is done via web conference. Training for this job is extensive and prepares you for the work. I was very stressed during this job since I had just moved to a new city, had little storage space in my... apartment, and my car was stolen 4 weeks in. Luckily, IRD got me a rental car for the weekends I had to teach, which saved me a lot of headaches. I think the management really cares about their employees and takes the time to make sure all teachers are handling the work well.

Cons

Be okay with storing tons of books and boxes in your house all summer. The materials are overwhelming. Know that this job lends itself to making mistakes. You have a lot of responsibilities and lots of spinning plates to manage on your own.

Advice to Management

I hope there is a plan to create physical teaching sites where classes can meet and materials can be stored! The amount of boxes in my room and car is kind of ridiculous

Institute of Reading Development2015-08-12