Institute of Reading Development "ird" Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Employee Reviews about "ird"

Updated 24 Oct 2019

3.2
Institute of Reading Development CEO Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
Pros
  • "IRD offers work from home phone jobs concerning sales that don't make me feel like a shark(in 115 reviews)

• "You might also be able to continue on to work for IRD in the fall in other capacities(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "IRD is upfront about that---they will make that clear throughout the process(in 25 reviews)

• "The script you had to use was a book(in 21 reviews)

Reviews about "ird"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for--demanding but rewarding"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

You receive excellent training (for which you are paid) and you have superior support and guidance throughout your 10 weeks of summer work. You might also be able to continue on to work for IRD in the fall in other capacities. The pay rate if decent, and you can make a lot of money over the summer (and there's overtime pay, since the hours in a week are often longer than 40). It's excellent experience for... teaching at any level, including college. Great work not only for graduating seniors but for graduate students as well. You also get to work independently for those 10 weeks--so you both have strong supervision but also a sense of freedom and independence.

Cons

I wouldn't consider these "cons"--just things of which to be aware. The training is online and it's full time for about 3+ weeks. The summer work is tough---as in, it requires discipline and commitment. And to be sure, working with young folks at all age levels has its challenges at times (keeping them in their seats! e.g.) and it can be exhausting. IRD is upfront about that---they will make that clear... throughout the process. You have to be prepared to give up your summer to this work. You get paid for your prep time as well as in-class time. So the hard work is compensated---that doesn't make it less exhausting though. You also have to have a vehicle---the sites require vehicle travel since you're hauling a lot of books back and forth. You have to be disciplined with time on the days you teach--and organized. Some travel time can be long---you are compensated for anything above 45 mins one-way--aka your commute (and all other travel expenses like tolls and parking fees are covered by IRD).

Institute of Reading Development2019-02-01

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team really values their employees and treats everyone with trust and respect.

Cons

I haven't experienced any downfalls of working for IRD, it has been a great environment.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-21
  4. "Working at IRD is an excellent exercise in personal development as an educator."

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about working at IRD is the opportunity to work with and share a love of reading with students in all grade levels. Seeing student growth is one of the highlights of the job.

Cons

Hauling boxes of materials back and forth to each teaching site becomes cumbersome especially in the heat of summer.

Institute of Reading Development2019-04-27

"Summer Reading Programs Teacher"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

- independent work - classes often fun to teach

Cons

- Classes often held in empty buildings or in unsuitable places. For instance, IRD was not aware water was shut off during classes, and would not cancel class despite the fact no restrooms were available all day. As you can imagine, this caused many issues, particularly with younger students. In addition, there were many instances where classes were held in buildings where nothing else was going on. Teachers would... have been alone, unsupported, and untrained in the event of an emergency.

Institute of Reading Development2018-11-06

"Teacher Review"

Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for more than a year

Pros

You will get to teach a lot of wonderful kids. You will have a lot of autonomy in the classroom; the lesson plans are very detailed and cover every minute of class, but no one's standing over you preventing you from customizing them.

Cons

Training doesn't really translate well into classroom performance--doing a mock lesson for 5 peers on a computer monitor is very different than teaching an actual class. I found teaching the actual class easier than the training, which really measures your abilities as an actor more than as a teacher. The training is helpful for a newcomer, but not a good means for assessing teachers. Also, a lot depends on the... particular people you work with at IRD; I taught for them 2 years, and my supervisor the first year was great, the second year not so great.

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-03

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to keep the teaching materials at the end of my employment.

Cons

IRD doesn't care about their employees. They are extremely rigid about their curriculum, and if you don't agree with something they do, they might fire you. Furthermore, this job is very difficult to do if you're in NYC because they expect you to have a car (but don't provide parking at the teaching locations) and they expect you to hold 15 boxes of books in your apartment.

Advice to Management

Update your curriculum, allow for teachers to use their creativity instead of following a set script, and use more inclusive and current texts.

Institute of Reading Development2018-09-03

"Humane, flexible, commission job that doesn't make you feel like a shark."

Current Intern - Enrollment Coordinator in Deltona, FL

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development for more than 3 years

Pros

IRD offers work from home phone jobs concerning sales that don't make me feel like a shark. This company offers education as its product, which is something I believe in and passionately offer to all of my callers. It works, as I've seen for myself, and has been around for over 40 years so it's an honest product. Best yet, the calls come to me and I don't have to bother anyone with random cold calls. It's... commission-based, with a guaranteed supplement of $12/hr (which in FL is not bad) but only because the sales you'll make when you follow instructions will bypass that and in my experience, has always reached well within the 20's during peak times. When the things you can control meet reasonable expectation (answer most incoming calls, work your scheduled hours, etc.) your commission percentage increases as a reward. You earn a free program for yourself after 200 hours, and a free program for a family member after another 200 hours of taking calls. I've always reached both goals, even though I've only worked the minimum 25hr/week shifts. The more time you put in, the more you'll make, which allows you to spend more time with your family because most, if not all of your essential bills will be paid. On that note, the staff is family oriented and works with you during times of need. I have never been made to feel guilty or ashamed if I had to call out for my family, technical issues, or an illness, and everyone is very friendly. Training and meetings are done through Webex with optional webcams so that we can see each other from all over the nation and feel more connected. When we're not too busy with calls, we get weekly/bi-weekly training sessions as needed, particularly if you need help or coaching to boost your confidence and succeed. The program itself is simple to learn about, understand, and relay to the caller. A guideline is provided for you to follow during your phone calls.

Cons

No insurance or benefits. Seasonal programs equals seasonal work. There's not enough positions for everyone to transition to other work or programs during the rest of the year, so only the last few standing with the best numbers are offered a position to continue.

Institute of Reading Development2018-06-04

"IRD: Teaching in the Trenches"

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a real teaching job, not for the faint of heart. If you like a good challenge, like I do, then this is the perfect place for you. This is a perfect job for the beginning teacher: I, myself, was still in grad school and completing my MA when I was hired and worked in the summer reading program; I had never been a "real teacher" before taking this position with the IRD, and I found it to be absolutely amazing.... This job confirmed for me that yes, indeed, teaching is what I want to do with my career, and my experiences with this company validated the work I had done in my educational career and dispelled, at the same time, any worries lurking in the back of my mind about maybe not wanting to actually be a teacher. The position gave me a perfect place to practice my theoretical and pedagogical notions that I had acquired throughout my years in college, and it showed me exactly what real teaching is: teaching in the trenches. Of course, teaching is a battle--it's a struggle. There is no question about this. But "teaching in the trenches" in this case means learning the ability to tailor your teaching output to individual needs while serving the overall classroom community, it means responding to what you are seeing in a timely and effective manner to achieve the best outcome possible, and it means relying on what you know (and sometimes what you don't know) to get your students to improve in the vast amount of ways that they will. Teaching is by no means easy; it's not a cake walk--if you think it should be, then you need a different profession. The IRD gives you the support you need--even more than you might need--in the journey that you choose to embark on with them. I promise you that if you come to this job with an open mind and a will to succeed, then you will and you will be all the better for it.

Cons

Some of the logistical inner-workings can get messy at times. For example, in the course of my teaching I was once moved from one room to another--in the weeks after the move, parents attending my class from other classes were given the original room location and not the one to where the class had been moved. This created problems for the people coming into my class from the outside because it tainted their picture... of who I was, even though I had nothing to do with it, and it just made the IRD look bad and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Keep working and reflecting on how to make your programs better. Don't become stagnant. Push forward in your endeavors to make reading enjoyable and engaging. In my own views of curricula adjustment, I would say these things: (1) think about using a book besides Fellowship in the high school program--while this book is a classic and it's probably very good for practicing LSU, it is intimidating to some of the... students who struggle with reading and participating in classroom discussions; (2) make the nonfiction readings more engaging--lots of times they feel sort of "tacked onto" the lesson plan and digressive; and (3) think about bringing analysis into the high school classroom, even something as simple as analyzing, on a very minute level, poetry--something like this, I feel, would be very rewards and engaging for the students, especially with poetry classics.

Institute of Reading Development2017-10-20
  10. "Summer Teaching"

Current Contractor - Teacher, Secondary School in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with IRD allows me to continue honing my teaching skills over the summer, in a low stress setting. I am able to request local teaching sites, or travel to other cities or states for my classes. IRD provides all of the necessary training and compensates employees for all of the time put into prepping and teaching classes - including training, commute, classroom set up, materials inventory, and meetings with... supervisors.

Cons

While IRD is willing to work around other obligations, it is never guaranteed which days and times you will be assigned to teach for that session. It is also difficult and discouraged to take days off.

Institute of Reading Development2017-09-08