Institute of Reading Development "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

Institute of Reading Development Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jul 17, 2019

3.2
Institute of Reading Development Vice President  Doug Evans (no image)
Doug Evans
Pros
  • "IRD offers work from home phone jobs concerning sales that don't make me feel like a shark(in 115 reviews)

• "You might also be able to continue on to work for IRD in the fall in other capacities(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "IRD is upfront about that---they will make that clear throughout the process(in 25 reviews)

• "The script you had to use was a book(in 21 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Humane, flexible, commission job that doesn't make you feel like a shark."

Current Intern - Enrollment Coordinator in Deltona, FL

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development for more than 3 years

Pros

IRD offers work from home phone jobs concerning sales that don't make me feel like a shark. This company offers education as its product, which is something I believe in and passionately offer to all of my callers. It works, as I've seen for myself, and has been around for over 40 years so it's an honest product. Best yet, the calls come to me and I don't have to bother anyone with random cold calls. It's... commission-based, with a guaranteed supplement of $12/hr (which in FL is not bad) but only because the sales you'll make when you follow instructions will bypass that and in my experience, has always reached well within the 20's during peak times. When the things you can control meet reasonable expectation (answer most incoming calls, work your scheduled hours, etc.) your commission percentage increases as a reward. You earn a free program for yourself after 200 hours, and a free program for a family member after another 200 hours of taking calls. I've always reached both goals, even though I've only worked the minimum 25hr/week shifts. The more time you put in, the more you'll make, which allows you to spend more time with your family because most, if not all of your essential bills will be paid. On that note, the staff is family oriented and works with you during times of need. I have never been made to feel guilty or ashamed if I had to call out for my family, technical issues, or an illness, and everyone is very friendly. Training and meetings are done through Webex with optional webcams so that we can see each other from all over the nation and feel more connected. When we're not too busy with calls, we get weekly/bi-weekly training sessions as needed, particularly if you need help or coaching to boost your confidence and succeed. The program itself is simple to learn about, understand, and relay to the caller. A guideline is provided for you to follow during your phone calls.

Cons

No insurance or benefits. Seasonal programs equals seasonal work. There's not enough positions for everyone to transition to other work or programs during the rest of the year, so only the last few standing with the best numbers are offered a position to continue.

Institute of Reading Development2018-06-04
  2. "Was not for me"

Former Employee - Phone Sales in Remote, OR

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home and you could use a Mac computer.

Cons

Too much talking. The script you had to use was a book.

Institute of Reading Development2019-07-18

"Very demanding and fake supervisors"

Current Contractor - Enrollment Coordinator

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development for less than a year

Pros

You can work from home.

Cons

Supervisors are not that friendly or responsive. Even though I work from home I feel pressured to not move from my seat until the allotted 10 minute break even to use the bathroom. It's seasonal but I do not recommend. I should've looked harder.

Institute of Reading Development2019-04-26

"Beware of predatory practices"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient location Work from home

Cons

Guilt tripping parents to buy overpriced reading programs

Advice to Management

Lower the cost of your reading programs

Institute of Reading Development2019-05-17
  5. "Enrollment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time

Pros

-Work from home -Job Flexibility -Easy to make money -All necessary tools to be successful given, free of cost

Cons

-Seasonal -Calls are assigned by rank -Training long and boring

Institute of Reading Development2019-03-18

"Terrible place to work - should advertises as minimum wage call center"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home Good Sales training (Tiffany)

Cons

False promises of commission Rude management

Advice to Management

Listen in on the management calls to ECs Provide better software tools

Institute of Reading Development2019-03-23

"Good temporary work"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home decent pay

Cons

Too many problems with thier servers job is only temporary.

Advice to Management

You don't take advice

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-03

"Not for seasoned sales people, or seasoned anything."

Current Employee - Enrollment Coordinator -Sales in Calif City, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

Only semi pro, is working from home, menial pay check... but I guess its a paycheck.

Cons

Bait and switch sales tactics. Telling your sales people to lie to get capture of persons information so they can send emails to promote the program in the future. This happens after a LONG and MUNDANE script you have to read. You get fired if you dont get most of your callers information 85%. THEN you get can also get fired if your sales are not closed first time callers. In other words... they market to make it... look like there is NO cost. Customers call and we have to sell them a $300-$400 program that their kid will go to 5x. So we are apart of the nasty tactic of bait and switch. Pretty horrible. Then your so called supervisors which is everyone but you...lol they will critique your calls and ability to sell the program based on the fact that you didn't get a close. LOL emmm what ! They tell the experienced sales pro.. you'll make upwards of $25 an hours easily. That's a joke, and bold lie. Really they have no respect for their sales staff. They treat you like your unskilled and YOU need THEM. That's perhaps true for new kids entering the workforce. PAY is horrible! So low.

Advice to Management

From my perspective, you all are lost. You've been in business for 50 years... HOW? I can't honestly see how you remain around. Your trainers are mostly arrogant and lie about what we can expect in this crappy job. I gave my commitment to work till May....but honestly.. not sure I can hang in that long. I dislike companies that treat their customers like this and how they treat employees repulsive. Maybe its... different in the Home Office.. but I doubt it reading the reviews.

Institute of Reading Development2018-04-16
  9. "Enrollment Coordinator"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time

Pros

Working from home with flexible hours.

Cons

Training drains you. Scripts are to long.

Advice to Management

Scripts are to long.

Institute of Reading Development2018-04-15

"Not What it's cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home and pay was on time.

Cons

You are basically lying to parents trying to get them to purchase an average reading program for $300 to $350 bucks. There is no price on the flyer, so parents call in thinking that the program is free. You then have to try and convince the parent, by reading this long, mundane script, that this program is for their child. Even if the parent wants to speak with his/her spouse first, you are then required to probe... the parent with WHY they want to discuss spending over $300 for a reading program. They offer the opportunity to work a split shift, but when you request it, they NEVER honor your request. So you are left working 7.5 hours straight reading that long script. By the end of the day, you are beyond burnt out. The trainers were blunt and did not come to help. They were there to teach you to sale and that't it.

Advice to Management

None

Institute of Reading Development2018-05-01