Instructional Connections Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert F. Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent Extra Income"

I have been working at Instructional Connections full-time

Pros

Extra Income, Teaching Experience, and Helping Students

Cons

Disorganization, Low Pay, and Little Recognition

"waste of time"

I have been working at Instructional Connections as a contractor

Pros

none that i know of at the moment

Cons

went through training a couple of months ago, which is long and unpaid, and have not heard anything about a position. how long do i have to wait after all that training??

Advice to Management

please do not accept applications if you can not place people.

"$18 a hour is a waste of time for a Ph.D"

Current Contractor - Ph D
    Current Contractor - Ph D

I have been working at Instructional Connections as a contractor

Pros

There are not pros for this company

Cons

When you balance the time and effort against the pay. You are looking at slave wages. Instructional Connections wants PhDs but is not willing to pay a fair wage. Don't waste you time with the unpaid week long interview process.

Advice to Management

Become a quality employer. Pay a fair wage.

"Waste of time"

I worked at Instructional Connections part-time

Pros

Money is ok, I suppose.

Cons

I would not recommend. Remember, there is NO room for you to express your opinion and provide true feedback to students. All IC cares about is impressing their clients.

Advice to Management

Listen to your coaches. They are smarter than you, perhaps.

"Coordinating Academic Coach, Teacher Assistance"

Current Contractor - Academic Coach in South Florida, FL
    Current Contractor - Academic Coach in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Instructional Connections as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A sustainable and competitive company to work for.

Cons

I don't recall a significant one

Advice to Management

none

"Still waiting"

I have been working at Instructional Connections as a contractor

Pros

There is no pros that I can think of.

Cons

I have been waiting over a year to get an assignment. I wasted my time doing 2 weeks of orientation and a bunch of paper work for nothing.

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting people when you do not even have enough assignments for them.

"Coach"

I have been working at Instructional Connections (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility. You get to accept or decline assignments. Get to interact with faculty and collaborate. Most take suggestions on improving parts of the course. The base rate seems low, but the actual pay can be more depending on the course length and what course you are offered. Students are very appreciative of the feedback and support.

Cons

Had to wait a bit for a first assignment. The student load can vary from course start to the next. No guarantee for student numbers throughout the year. Some faculty can be more difficult. Not much opportunity for advancement internally. Some people have been hired by the university after a while.

8. "Academic Coach"

Current Contractor - Academic Coach in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Academic Coach in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Good company to work for, easy work, and it is something I enjoy doing. Your compensation is a set rate per student, but some colleges/universities may pay more. I normally coach 50 students out of 200.

Cons

Depending on your degree area, you may or may not get a contract immediately. Just be patience and the time will come, just keep checking in with your lead person to inform that person of your availability.

Advice to Management

none

"Contractual Instructor- Teacher's Assistant-aka Underpaid Professional Flunky"

Current Contractor - Nurse Educator
    Current Contractor - Nurse Educator

Pros

Pros- Can be used on a resume that you have some teaching background. Okay, on to the next the Cons- The previous posting says it all, low wage, long, long, long hours at the computer teaching and answering email. Responsible for answering emails, and weekly meetings that you are NOT compensated to attend on conference calls. I absolutely hate this job!

Cons

The faculty has no clue about the Blackboard system and have numerous mistakes. So, the students email you ALL day long for the Professors mistakes Be ready to receive 10 emails a day of students that whine constantly. You are FORCED to grade liberally. Some students had poor diction and were basically illiterate. I was told to grade liberally. I felt I was giving them a disservice. So, I am quitting after this go round. It sickens me to get my paycheck. Its so so so so so so NOT worth my time. Instructional Connection is the worst than the 18th century slavery. I digress!

Advice to Management

Pay, pay, pay pay your employees. Stop suckering Professionals to work for you for less than minimum wage. I interviewed for one job and got this crappy job.

"Grading slave"

Former Employee - Instructional Coach in Port Arthur, TX
    Former Employee - Instructional Coach in Port Arthur, TX

Pros

Worked with a great team leader

Cons

Basically, you do all the grading & student interactions for faculty in online courses. . Requires a lot of time in providing detailed feedback for discussion posts which are really essays. The amount of time invested in comparison to monetary compensation reduces salary to a couple of dollars/hour.

Advice to Management

Provide adequate compensation with consideration of time invested/student/week. Respect that your coaches are masters & doctorate degreed professionals & treat them as such. Justifying the low salary based on the assumption that nurse educators want to give back to the profession rather than earn a decent salary is an insult to the profession.