Instructure Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 10, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work life balance is good, people assume positive intent and we all work as a team - there is no blame game (in 8 reviews)

• Casual, non-intrusive work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing so fast, sometimes the culture suffers (in 7 reviews)

• The company is growing fast so if you aren't good with change, this isn't the place for you (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happy employee"

I have been working at Instructure full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Instructure has an amazing culture and truly cares about the employees work/life balance. We are so fortunate to get 100% full paid medical benefits, equity, ESPP, lots of free food and being surrounded by amazing people...Just to name a few.

Cons

No real cons that I have faced

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to help employees learn and grow in their role to make them exceptional at what they do

"A great company to work for, very welcoming, very fun environment"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've had the opportunity to work for. The pay scale is fantastic, the benefits are amazing, its easy to take time off, management actually know what they are doing for a change, the equipment they give you is excellent (I'm working on a MacBook Pro Retina w/ an external Thunderbolt Display). The knowledge level of the operations and engineering teams is fantastic, be prepared to learn ALOT!

Cons

The only real downside I can think of is that they don't match on the 401k, but that is with the "yet" caveat, and not a huge deal in my opinion, as I'm sure that will change before long.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication lines open, this is a huge change from other places I've been, and its a breath of fresh air.

"Smart, passionate company that believes it can change the world for the better -- through education technology."

I have been working at Instructure full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Canvas is a great product already, and the technology has a strong foundation as a platform for growth.

Nearly all the people in the company are smart, competent, and hard working.

Hard work and talent is acknowledged and rewarded.

And it's also fun. Some people don't go for the vibe, but it's a perfect fit for me.

Cons

Uh, not enough talking panda?

But seriously, it's a young company, and it's gone through growing pains, especially in terms of getting the right management in the right positions. Nut I'm OK with personnel changes -- especially when sharp people are given another chance to succeed in other units.

There's no room for slackers, loafers, or those not willing to invest their energy in the vision.

Advice to Management

Be selective with clients.

"The place for Ruby Developers in Wasatch!"

I have been working at Instructure full-time

Pros

It's exciting to be developing disruptive technology that will help the people everywhere get a better education. Be brilliant and collaborative, and you'll fit in perfectly! Our leaders, and new leaders have tremendous reputations and backgrounds and look forward to seeing what I can learn from them. I love working here, and the team I'm surrounded with on a daily basis.

Cons

Utah is very conservative. We'd like to think of ourselves as hip, open, direct, and you should be confident, secure, and willing to explore and develop new things and run with ideas. Yes, we have a confident CEO. He is brilliant! We are growing fast... and yes, there will be pains... but that's ok. It's worth it!

Advice to Management

Hold more coding competitions! And... maybe set up some telecommuting days!

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Account Management in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Current Employee - Account Management in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely intelligent and talented people throughout the organization. The company is really making a difference in education and is experiencing phenomenal growth as a result. This is the first time I've ever completely trusted a leadership team.

Cons

As mentioned in other reviews, there are some who could use a dose of humility but we've already made great progress on that front.

Advice to Management

Listen to the market. Stay open to customer input and put your clients first.

"Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at Instructure full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully paid healthcare, open-collaborate working environment, talented-hardworking-friendly people, skilled-knowledgeable leadership that is unified and cares about each employee.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to get everything done, but the work needed to get all the things done is well worth the time and its challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to invite feedback from all the employees and lead by example

"Working at Instructure has been by far my best career move"

I have been working at Instructure full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with amazing benefits. It is nice to be part of a company that is changing the face of the LMS market. The company is growing which equals a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

The company is growing fast and sometimes we are learning as we go. At time there is a lack of structure or process. That may be hard for some people depending on your personal employment preferences. Ultimately the pros well outweigh the cons.

"Best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - L2 Support in Holladay, UT
    Current Employee - L2 Support in Holladay, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management, Benefits, Environment, No Micro Management, Food, Mc Hammer, Pay, growing company.

Cons

I really can't think of many cons. Instructure is a growing company and there are some issues in developing a core, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep giving your employees freedom and not micro managing

10. "Refreshing company, likes taking risks and exploring new approaches"

I have been working at Instructure full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A sense that everyone is on a level playing field regardless of your job title.
    Great health benefits, time off is unlimited, really good place to have a life outside your job.
    Can work hard, take risks, and have a lot of opportunities

Cons

No 401k contributions
    Startup so sometimes your job or task is foggy and you need to figure out exactly what needs to be done. Not the worst, but takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Keep taking risks on the product and the company.

11. "Great place"

Pros

Very open transparent company. Good benefits. Very motivating work environment. I would definitely recommend to anyone that they should work at Instructure.

Cons

Instructure is a fast growing company which requires a lot of work and flexibility. For some people not looking for a startup environment, this would probably not be the best place to work.