KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Instructure

Engaged Employer

Instructure

Add a Review

Instructure Employee Reviews about "instructure"

Updated Sep 7, 2021

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great Benefits inside and outside of the work weeks.(in 91 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with!(in 73 reviews)
  • "The culture is great!(in 63 reviews)
  • "A fun place to work, great leadership, a product that is easy to be passionate about(in 22 reviews)
  • "Good coworkers(in 20 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Instructure and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "instructure"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A new chapter for Instructure

Jun 25, 2018 - Regional Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Instructure has grown like crazy over the last 8 years and has put a ton of effort into maintaining a great company culture, despite rapid growth and going public in 2015. Having worked for multiple tech companies, Instructure is about as good as it gets when it comes to office space, benefits, perks, etc. There have been a lot of changes over the last few years in leadership at the executive level which brings both good and bad. Essentially a new chapter for the company. Current sales leadership is top notch and I'm confident they will keep things moving in the right direction. I would work for current sales leadership again without hesitation.

Cons

Instructure made it's biggest waves in the edu market (higher ed & k12). They are starting to figure things out in the corporate space and there have been some great wins. There is still a lot of work to be done though. Product in corporate has been been a sore spot from the beginning, mainly because they have lacked good leadership and accountability. However, the product team has recently improved leaving most feeling more optimistic.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a place to make your career, but a good stepping stone

Jan 14, 2020 - Multiple Positions in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Instructure has solid benefits on par with other high tech companies in the Silicon Slopes area. Free food, health insurance, some ok 401k benefits, and an HSA that gets paid out on each check (used to be twice a year, but that went away for some reason).

Cons

Do NOT work here hoping to move to another position. You will be used, abused, and the carrot dangled in front of you while you run along the hamster wheel of self-sacrifice. At Instructure, your role is rigid. There is no room for deviation from what is expected of you. Management and C-level executives have done a really good job of taking a fantastic little start-up that ran on the creativity and passion of good humans and turning it into a corporate, rigid, bland work environment. They do not invest in their employees. There are many talented agents in the support department. They are paid very little ($15, compare that to WorkFront's 40k starting for customer support). They are under-valued and basically chained to their desks during Fall and Spring. There are no development programs or support for these agents and those who wish to move to another role are lucky if they get anyone to even look in their direction. Their QA team and some of their engineers are pretentious. Turned off by confidence or assuming you'll be "difficult to train" if you express any certainty in your own abilities. CSMs are over-worked and stressed. Implementation Consultants recently all quit (or at least almost all of them). I watched this company take a nose dive during my time there and it started at the C-level. The icing on the cake was the subtle insinuation that those on the Bridge team may or may not be out of a job and that the CEO was still deciding how he would handle that department. A statement that should not have been shared with the Bridge team until he knew what he was going to do and was ready to do it. Instead, he struck fear into the hearts of most of the Bridge team resulting in most of the ICs, CSMs, and support agents quitting.

13 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee

Not What It Once Was

Feb 25, 2021 - Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, Decent Support Pay, Some Benefits

Cons

Changes in ownership and upper management have different standards and priorities than Instructure of old. Have become nothing more than a number.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Instructure has been and still is a great place

Jan 19, 2019 - Sales Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Instructure for a number of years as a Solutions Engineer. My leader is awesome. He gets us and really cares for the team, our customers, and our careers. Instructure overall continues to grow and I like the fact that I get to learn new things all fo the time

Cons

We do a good amount of travel and virtual meetings. Most of the company does not, but the Solutions Engineers do. It can be wearing and we feel a bit distant from the company some time. It is still a great place, but it takes some work for me to stay connected.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best job I have ever had...maybe will ever have too!

Oct 23, 2014 - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits, very friendly atmosphere, cutting edge work, fast growth lots of opportunity for performers. After starting this job I felt every aspect of my life change for the better. I now am more goal oriented outside of work and more motivated to excel in everything life has to offer me. This is due to the awesome caliber of people at Instructure and their focus on career development and accomplishing goals.

Cons

New SaaS company is a little scary considering how fast technology is changing everything and how competitive the market is where Instructure operates. What prevents another startup from doing the same thing we did to Blackboard to us in a few years.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

QA leadership can be improved

Jul 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Have been in this company long enough to write this review. Overall it's a good company to work in and hate to give it a two star. In instructure leadership you can see the dev leads and even director's are involved in making their team succeed by doing everything they can even and yes they do write code like any other dev so they are well aware of the application and what their colleagues are working on.

Cons

If you are joining in the QA/TESTING side be careful as the QA leadership is not at all great. Same traditional ways of managing people which is totally different from the culture of instructure. Qa side is different as Managers are more like passing messages and forcing new rules everyday as they are not sure what will work. The individual contribution is hard to be noticed because of this. And you won’t feel you are getting appreciated for your work.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Employer Yet

Mar 29, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer In Test
    Business Outlook

Pros

My two favorite things about working for Instructure: Company culture and Opportunities for advancement. The culture is exceptional---and not just the industry culture, e.g. emphasis on automated testing and SOLID software engineering principles. They proclaim a 'tell us if we're doing something stupid' policy, and they actually listen to feedback and take it seriously. I've seen multiple standards/processes improve as a direct result of feedback from non-management employees. Also, the company not only says they care about work/life balance, but I've gotten called out by my supervisors for not maintaining a healthy work/life balance (!!!). I've also felt everyone is very inclusive and appreciative of diversity. Regarding opportunities for advancement, the company does performance reviews every six months with potential for pay increase. I work hard and I've seen pay substantial pay increases every six months with one exceptionally nice raise. I've also shifted into a role I didn't expect but one which I enjoy immensely. The company emphasizes promoting within.

Cons

This one depends on the individual but I think it's worth mentioning. Numerous Instructure employees work remotely, so if you prefer to work in person with your coworkers you may not like it here. That being said, the company does its best to co-locate teams as much as possible while still supporting remote employees.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall great company, not without its challenges

Nov 22, 2013 -  in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

A very fun, laid back environment. Jeans and a t-shirt are preferred, and no one will get on your case for chatting with a coworker, or throwing foam darts at them. Company events are pretty amazing. Feel free to go running or cycling at any time during the day, as long as you're getting your work done. Great pay and benefits, relatively to other Utah companies. Formerly there was no 401(k) matching program, but one seems to be in the works for 2014. 100% medical and dental insurance. As much PTO as you and your manager deem appropriate. The office is beautiful, big, and has a pretty stunning view of the Salt Lake Valley. Really smart people. Because of the pay and environment, many of Utah's best engineers (and a number from out of state, as well) call Instructure their home. While the transition from startup to mature company has been rough, as the company grows, much of the leadership is becoming more and more experienced, as well. Catered lunch once a week from decent restaurants. Pretty self-explanatory. Huge growth, and a bright future. As others have mentioned, Instructure is headed for an IPO within the next 2-3 years, which will make a lot of folks significantly wealthier. It won't be anything like Facebook's or Twitter's IPOs (no freshly minted billionaires here), but it'll still be a decent chunk of change for a large percentage of the company. Not to mention the resume benefits. Role flexibility. Because of the agile, startup-like environment, there's little likelihood of being stuck in one role and forced to stay there for years. People are constantly putting on different hats, and titles mean very little, for the most part. Yes, engineers write code and support answers phones, but there's still lots of wiggle room and overlap among responsibilities. Plenty of folks have moved from department to department, some even multiple times. As the company continues to mature, this may become less true, but up 'til now that's how it's been. A CEO with former founding/startup experience. Josh knows the drill, and he's pretty well-informed as to what it takes to build a successful company, at least up to IPO. Post-IPO, I honestly am not sure where things will go, but we definitely have a solid direction for the next few years, at least. A product that's well ahead of the competition. While Canvas is by no means the best, most useable product in the context of software as a whole, it is nonetheless dramatically better than other popular Learning Management Systems. An LMS is an incredibly complex application in general, and thus is very difficult to do right. As such, we enjoy a significant competitive advantage, and growth is likely for the foreseeable future.

Cons

The company culture is quite insular and difficult to break into. If you have a resume made of gold and are the brightest mind in your field, then you will likely be welcomed with open arms. Otherwise, though, there isn't much in the way of welcoming or outreach to new hires, or old ones, for that matter. If your first impression doesn't match the generally accepted view of what's cool or desirable, then you will likely feel isolated and under-appreciated. There is very little in the way of training. Instructure employees are expected to learn on the fly and be extremely flexible in the way they do things. This can actually be a plus, but is often a minus because of the confusion and lack of organization it can create. Some people in management positions have very little experience actually managing, and can therefore miss some of the softer, but nonetheless critical, aspects of supervising people. Impossible to know right now, but potential future difficulties because of the early pace of growth. I'm wondering if the breakneck speed at which we've been expanding and hiring will come back to bite us in 5 years.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Customer Success Manager

Aug 24, 2018 - Customer Success Manager in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free food -100% paid medical -100% dental -Fitness club reimbursement -Employee stock purchase program -Restricted stock units -Amazing CEO who really cares about employees

Cons

-Instructure rewards employees who are close to management. Career growth is not based on merit. -Instructure is obsessed with its culture. However, it really doesn't have one. -Management is inexperienced and needs training.

11 people found this review helpful