Cover image for Instructure

Instructure

Is this your company?

Instructure

Add a Review

Instructure Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 25, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

634.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Instructure~582803
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Instructure? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Instructure employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and unlimited approved time off(in 92 reviews)
  • "Great people working on a strong product(in 81 reviews)
  • "The culture is great!(in 67 reviews)
  • "A fun place to work, great leadership, a product that is easy to be passionate about(in 24 reviews)
  • "The Benefits and all the free food(in 22 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management(in 22 reviews)
  • "Upper management is aggressive about numbers and tight statistics(in 12 reviews)
  • "Major layoffs after TB purchase.(in 9 reviews)
  • "I had 5 managers in a period of 18 months(in 9 reviews)
  • "In the year and 5 months that I worked in the position I had 4 different supervisors none of which, except the last one I had actually had a real idea of how to take the reigns of the position and be a true leader.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Instructure and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Current Employee

Good benefits, but they are restructuring in a way that I did not like.

Jan 17, 2021 - Customer Service in Layton, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are good. Co workers are super cool

Cons

Upper management is changing things that are causing problems for those below them.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Starts out great, ends with alot of unfulfilled promises.

Sep 16, 2020 - L1 Customer Support Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers are good people.

Cons

Mangers and upper management is a disaster.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. Join the Instructure team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

It was great. Until it wasn't.

Mar 11, 2020 - Software Engineer in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've never worked with a more talented and caring group of people. Team leads were deeply invested in the success and growth of their reports. Great work-life balance. Hard to beat the benefits.

Cons

Lots of opaqueness in upper management. Inexplicable decision-making around org structure (and restructure...) and process. Feedback was asked for, but never listened to. It seems like weird office politics started filling gaps left by changing leadership and process. The culture that used to dominate is quickly evaporating. What used to be one of the best places to work in Utah is devolving into something unrecognizable.

10 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Not what is used to be

Jul 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's still a great culture and I enjoy the people I work with. Canvas is still a great product.

Cons

Once the buyout happened the quality tanked. Raises are terrible. Upper management has ruined what used to be great about Instructure. It's all about making money for our masters. I used to take pride in my job and being part of something great. Instructure was the best job I've had. I now dread every single day and wish I could love it again. I miss loving my job and being excited to go to work everyday.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Not What It Once Was

Feb 25, 2021 - Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, Decent Support Pay, Some Benefits

Cons

Changes in ownership and upper management have different standards and priorities than Instructure of old. Have become nothing more than a number.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 3.0

Software Engineer

Jul 7, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is great! Its an eduction company that focus on all levels of education, I learned a ton while working here.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not what I would call high quality. The CEO is openly offensive and sexist. A few of the HR take for ever to get back to you on stuff.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Doesn't recognize Individuals

Aug 26, 2020 - L1 Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Had a great culture and environment for the first half of my time there. Coworkers are actually good people, more than work friends. Someone always has an answer to your question and rarely do you feel belittled by asking.

Cons

Feels like everything is always in Freefall. Scheduling and shift bids were a joke, the platform of Canvas itself had so many issues working with other schools API's that many times we just had to apologize to the user and say 'call your school'. No transparency. If you're not a supervisor or higher (or friends with one), you have no idea whats going on. Suddenly everything is going to change. Then it wont for 6 months. Then it will change out of nowhere and with so many bugs. Employees who shine are not recognized. I saw it with myself and with at least 7 other employees. They are not recognized for their work, they are not compensated well enough, they are overlooked for promotions. This is because they would rather have those good workers, in their current position, because they perform so well. They will hire and promote from the outside when upper management has been telling employees they will be the next to be promoted for years.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Overworked, Underappreciated and Underpaid

Jul 25, 2021 - Overworked, Underappreciated and Underpaid in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of your coworkers will rock and the good ones will leave (Which they should, lots of talent is ditching this dud of a company) The remaining benefits are decent, however nothing worth joining this company for. Look else where. Your pay will suck.

Cons

Benefits are being stripped. The company is getting sold again soon. Upper management wont care and never will.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee

“Management” is aggressive and hostile

Aug 9, 2022 - Tier I Technical Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits (plenty of jobs offer benefits though) Occasional downtime Multiple shifts to pick from

Cons

Management will invade your privacy. The culture is toxic and the turn over rate is high. Diversity and inclusion only exists in text on their marketing materials. Management creates an overly competitive atmosphere by trying to pit employees against each other. Training is trial by fire. Mental health is not a priority (for employees or management). They conduct numerous surveys but not for the purpose of improvement (for blacklisting and targeting “problem employees”). Slack etiquette is a forgotten policy. HR doesn’t investigate reported issues, they exacerbate them. There is little to no transparency. Passive aggressive and belittling management style. There is a virtual Peep and Tom somewhere in the IT department. If you value your privacy as a woman don’t work here. The behavior is encouraged by upper management. This is actually the worst job I’ve ever had. I heard good things about this company but I haven’t seen them yet. I don’t think this is a good company to invest your time in at all.

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Fun for the first 6 months

Mar 29, 2022 - L1 Support Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun culture if you can get to know people there and have a good supervisor

Cons

Hard to get time off Upper management is aggressive about numbers and tight statistics Supervisors are not held accountable Culture makes you feel babysat Growing pains: they have acquired lots more schools without adding enough agents to handle it all

1 person found this review helpful