Insurance Australia Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

1.0
Peter Harmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great salary at senior levels, good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Lovely CBD office, flexible working hours, fresh fruit (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Say but don't do in regards work life balance unless you are in a senior role or management (in 5 reviews)

• Too many restructures and loss of some "people centric" DNA that makes IAG great (in 6 reviews)

1. "Disappointing end to what could of been a long career"

Former Employee - Computer Operator in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Computer Operator in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location of data centre was a good place to goto work

Cons

Boys Club in upper management
    Was put to the top of a redundancy list due to my relationship with my direct manager, despite strong work performance and being the most experienced in my team

Advice to Management

Need a long hard look at the managers and their people care ability.

2. "Full of cronyism, nepotism and some nasty people who will do anything to make themselves look good"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Insurance Australia Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some other people there which are nice but keep their heads down to avoid the shrapnel

Cons

The place is full of people who will stab you in the back and think nothing of it

Advice to Management

Rip out all the dead wood and sack all the psychos in there. It has great potential but it's going to waste. Scrap the legacy systems, stop building on old crap !!!!

3. "Claims Consultant"

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are fun to work with

Cons

Overload & overwork. Staff are expected to manage 300 (minimim) case managed claims on only 1 hour per day. The rest of the day we have to take calls like any other call centre. Result is angry dissatisfied customers and staff who are burning out. Few promotion prospects if you are over 30.

Advice to Management

Instead of repeating you know there is a problem DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

"Becareful Iag can be shady"

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group part-time

Pros

Money.customers. and mates and I do it for the customer.

Cons

The company promise you everything and delivered nothing.

The manager are for ever leaving.
    Heat office is for ever changing the way we do things so we can't meet our sip.or come.
    And they report every thing you do its worst the a jail.

If you compain to people connect .they Get Hr..I have been in and out of hospital because of this company now suffer panic attacks.

My lawyer is suing them..funny thing they fired or just left the managers involved. .
    The work bully from managers is crazy and they use the vauls and behaviors a tool.to inforce there abuse. .

They made me..sign a letter with false information. Told to me to get personal information from my.GP I sued the Gp and won.under Hccc, ...I was rushed to hospital with blood pressure 150/99 And now on meds this happen from the day I started. .

Hr have tried to remove me failed on wrongful dismissal.

They tell you how to talk act. .it's worst then the army..

And they give you rewards out side of rewards night..

They don't live up to what they say and now looking for a job..because IAG abused there powers I have a disability they made fun of and now I suffer panic attacks. My lawyer is thinking of going to the papers and TV with this..and has been talkin to Fairfax and Ch9. .

My life is no longer my and my history is there in work from age 8 things they had no right to know of..

Advice to Management

They need to make it fair and say what they mean not abuse the powers ..one rule managers go by there way you don't suck up..you lose..IAG way sad but true

"IAG are tight and looking to off shore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good office locations, all managers are stay at home mums or lezzo.

Cons

dead end jobs if you stay too long you can become unemployable. There are family and friends doing dirty deals all over the place.

Advice to Management

pay your staff more.

"Terrible culture, unable to change"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Insurance Australia Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is ambition to try and be innovative
    Work arrangement flexibility offered

Cons

Leadership is terrible. You reach a level and become so over paid that there's no incentive to move. Poor performers at leadership levels are not managed and will not exit the business. They tend to shuffle these people around the organisation - even if it means promoting them. Constant restructures mean that it is impossible to get any real traction on priorities. Remuneration is average. The offer for flexibility is there, but if you take it you will not be promoted. Unfortunately there are many cases of people on maternity leave who have been made redundant. Poor processes and systems overall make it impossible to achieve even basic things. Very cliquey work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop using restructures as the bandaid fix for everything
    Manage out poor leaders and get some good leadership in - validate this, don't just hire your mates
    Stop over paying leaders and under paying general employees
    Get serious about your diversity inclusion and flexibility policies, it shouldn't be a sales pitch - it should be real

"Claims Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulgrave (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulgrave (Australia)

Pros

Location. There are a few managers who are genuine .

Cons

Horrible Team Manager. Very insecure going through midlifecrisis and takes it out in her team. Manipulative with data and sad part is that management supports her. If employees bring up the issue or provide feedback on their manager they find an excuse to get rid of them or they make their work life so miserable that the person quits

Advice to Management

Be honest to your enoloyees when you ask for anonymous feedback please ensure it is annonymous . Please have skip level meeting with your staff , there are some good managers in claims. It there are some horrible managers who are the reason you lose good employees. Too much power in the hands of Team manages and they manupulatr data and bully their team members . My manager asks the team for proof When her team members have to attend a. Funeral, whilst she comes in late every other day and leave work in between to run personal errends. In a team meeting we get told tthat we better do things her way while in her team or she will. It support us in anything even simple tasks like applying for annual leave .

"Bad managerial dynamic / sales and service"

Pros

Nothing.. average pay, Monday to Friday. Depending on your contract you can start at 7 finish 3 but doesn't apply to new starters.. kind of a con too

Cons

Wages don't reflect expectations/role. High performance based, if not successful at sales you are marginalised and categorised in a low sales group.

Managerial system is poor, no room for growth. Very strict in management and no recognition for efforts, constantly targeting areas of improvement.. and strategies to implement to upsell/cross sell rather then working with ones strengths.

No work life balance. For example someone passed away and in order to attend funeral they require evidence of death/recording! No flexibility and sick days are tallied in a negative light. Essentially effecting your targets and business service but if someone is genuinely sick they make you feel guilty.

Overall a stressful role that does nothing but run you down with no rewards or bonuses.

"Lost their way"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time

Pros

good salary
    good people in the lower ranks

Cons

new culture does not acknowledge contributions of previous generations
    Struggles to understand it's an insurance company not a tech company

10. "transformation program"

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time

Pros

not many pros to raise

Cons

very political and unethical treatment of employees