Insurance Australia Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 4, 2017

1.0
Peter Harmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great salary at senior levels, good work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Good Benefits/Perks & Flexible working arrangements (in 10 reviews)

Cons

"I had heard insurance is slow, but this is ssssllllloooowww to the point of being paralysed"

Current Employee - HRBP in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - HRBP in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

WLB and flexibility are amazing - I wouldn't even need to come into work!
    People are so ridiculously nice

Cons

I don't think they even know the definition of the word 'decision' - like one of those things you pay really senior executives to make so work gets done so the business can prosper!!
    ssssslllllloooooww to the point of just being insane. I can deliver my work in 25% of a work week, yet everyone rushes around saying how busy they are, but there is no actual output
    nothing actually gets done, people talk about it, plan for it, scope for it, pilot it, rescope it, but don't actually deliver anything at all.

Advice to Management

make decisions
    empower your people to make decisions
    just get work done, stop thinking and planning it as Nike says, just do it!

2. "Used to be a great company to work for, have been with the company over 10yrs."

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great place to make some fantastic friends for life.
    - They believe in work life balance.
    - Lovely locations.

Cons

- Say but don't do in regards work life balance unless you are in a senior role or management.
    - Very negative environment to work in.
    - Like high school if you are not one of the favourites, you will not het anywhere.
    - Change after change without waiting to see what works.
    - The favourites get away with flicking or cherry picking work to increase their stats while everyone else gets the bulk of the workload and then gets yelled at for not meeting targets.
    - looks like they are slowly trying to push out all the older staff so it can be more like a social club, I think they have forgotten that there will be nobody left to do the work.
    - Say one thing do another.
    - When you have a general concern it is brushed off.

Advice to Management

If you want great customer service you 1st have to provide great internal customer service to your staff, it will have a wonderful flow on effect. Lead by example not by demanding the unattainable.

"Sales and Service Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales and Service in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales and Service in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

You make some good friends while you are there, and provide free fruit (if you get to it in time, because there isn't a lot)

Cons

- The staff who work themselves into the ground mentally, to save customers that are going to a competitive company for half the price, are reprimanded for not asking a business boosting question on every call.
    - You are made to follow the specifics of a conversation or you will never receive your bonus, even though you probably won't get your bonus anyway due to constant restructures. I still don't know many people who get a bonus even though they are top performers in service and delivery of the right product.
    - Management need to keep themselves up to date with current processes and systems because there have been plenty of times i would ask a question i was unable to find the answer to in our knowledge base system, and have been told i need to find it myself through my sources. There is also a manager of a team who still doesn't know anything about their specialty products, even though they have been in this team for almost a year.
    - I constantly hear staff complaining that their friend at another insurance company is getting paid more than we were at IAG, and that was just base salary. I started on $44,000/year~, that is $22 an hour.
    - It was proven difficult to have any kind of work life balance at that place unless you had kids, or wanted to compress your hours to get an extra day off every fortnight. If you were hired to work Monday to Friday, you copped flak from those who struggle to finish before 8pm every Saturday or start work at 7am every Sunday.
    - Some managers let their senior audit their own calls, allowing for a biased outcome when seeing results which is unfair.
    - Performance is based on the results of listening to 5% of your calls, which means if you do bad on the calls they listen to, your overall performance is also bad and therefor put onto a coaching plan until you're fired or your push yourself so hard mentally, that you keep your job but lose your passion in every other aspect of your life because you are so mentally drained.
    - The staff do an amazing job, but they do not get paid for the things they have to deal with, the people they have to deal with, the amount of targets they need to meet and how much they have to put into a conversation, the ineffective management, the guilt you feel when you want to go home sick and management have the sly undertone of disapproval that makes you stay and deal with being sick therefor infecting everyone else in a building that uses recycled air.

Advice to Management

Lear your products and systems or your staff will be ineffective and not work to what you should be at. how can they get support when everyone else over east has gone home? You're being unfair.

4. "transformation program"

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time

Pros

not many pros to raise

Cons

very political and unethical treatment of employees

"Lost their way"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time

Pros

good salary
    good people in the lower ranks

Cons

new culture does not acknowledge contributions of previous generations
    Struggles to understand it's an insurance company not a tech company

"Bad managerial dynamic / sales and service"

Pros

Nothing.. average pay, Monday to Friday. Depending on your contract you can start at 7 finish 3 but doesn't apply to new starters.. kind of a con too

Cons

Wages don't reflect expectations/role. High performance based, if not successful at sales you are marginalised and categorised in a low sales group.

Managerial system is poor, no room for growth. Very strict in management and no recognition for efforts, constantly targeting areas of improvement.. and strategies to implement to upsell/cross sell rather then working with ones strengths.

No work life balance. For example someone passed away and in order to attend funeral they require evidence of death/recording! No flexibility and sick days are tallied in a negative light. Essentially effecting your targets and business service but if someone is genuinely sick they make you feel guilty.

Overall a stressful role that does nothing but run you down with no rewards or bonuses.

"Claims Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulgrave (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulgrave (Australia)

Pros

Location. There are a few managers who are genuine .

Cons

Horrible Team Manager. Very insecure going through midlifecrisis and takes it out in her team. Manipulative with data and sad part is that management supports her. If employees bring up the issue or provide feedback on their manager they find an excuse to get rid of them or they make their work life so miserable that the person quits

Advice to Management

Be honest to your enoloyees when you ask for anonymous feedback please ensure it is annonymous . Please have skip level meeting with your staff , there are some good managers in claims. It there are some horrible managers who are the reason you lose good employees. Too much power in the hands of Team manages and they manupulatr data and bully their team members . My manager asks the team for proof When her team members have to attend a. Funeral, whilst she comes in late every other day and leave work in between to run personal errends. In a team meeting we get told tthat we better do things her way while in her team or she will. It support us in anything even simple tasks like applying for annual leave .

"Terrible culture, unable to change"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Insurance Australia Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is ambition to try and be innovative
    Work arrangement flexibility offered

Cons

Leadership is terrible. You reach a level and become so over paid that there's no incentive to move. Poor performers at leadership levels are not managed and will not exit the business. They tend to shuffle these people around the organisation - even if it means promoting them. Constant restructures mean that it is impossible to get any real traction on priorities. Remuneration is average. The offer for flexibility is there, but if you take it you will not be promoted. Unfortunately there are many cases of people on maternity leave who have been made redundant. Poor processes and systems overall make it impossible to achieve even basic things. Very cliquey work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop using restructures as the bandaid fix for everything
    Manage out poor leaders and get some good leadership in - validate this, don't just hire your mates
    Stop over paying leaders and under paying general employees
    Get serious about your diversity inclusion and flexibility policies, it shouldn't be a sales pitch - it should be real

"IAG are tight and looking to off shore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good office locations, all managers are stay at home mums or lezzo.

Cons

dead end jobs if you stay too long you can become unemployable. There are family and friends doing dirty deals all over the place.

Advice to Management

pay your staff more.

"Becareful Iag can be shady"

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group part-time

Pros

Money.customers. and mates and I do it for the customer.

Cons

The company promise you everything and delivered nothing.

The manager are for ever leaving.
    Heat office is for ever changing the way we do things so we can't meet our sip.or come.
    And they report every thing you do its worst the a jail.

If you compain to people connect .they Get Hr..I have been in and out of hospital because of this company now suffer panic attacks.

My lawyer is suing them..funny thing they fired or just left the managers involved. .
    The work bully from managers is crazy and they use the vauls and behaviors a tool.to inforce there abuse. .

They made me..sign a letter with false information. Told to me to get personal information from my.GP I sued the Gp and won.under Hccc, ...I was rushed to hospital with blood pressure 150/99 And now on meds this happen from the day I started. .

Hr have tried to remove me failed on wrongful dismissal.

They tell you how to talk act. .it's worst then the army..

And they give you rewards out side of rewards night..

They don't live up to what they say and now looking for a job..because IAG abused there powers I have a disability they made fun of and now I suffer panic attacks. My lawyer is thinking of going to the papers and TV with this..and has been talkin to Fairfax and Ch9. .

My life is no longer my and my history is there in work from age 8 things they had no right to know of..

Advice to Management

They need to make it fair and say what they mean not abuse the powers ..one rule managers go by there way you don't suck up..you lose..IAG way sad but true