Insurity Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Insurity CEO Jeffrey Glazer
Jeffrey Glazer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I know my contributions really make a difference internally and for my clients (in 4 reviews)

• Free parking in Hartford is a rarity but this place has it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company no longer supports the idea of cost of living pay increases or across the board raises (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance is simply an HR marketing scheme (in 5 reviews)

1. "Insurity Inc.- My best employer !!!"

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From day 1, I started to love my job profile and company. Company provided me right amount of training, no tight handholding, opportunity to share thoughts etc etc.

Cons

None I came across so far. Even though you find , they will give you opportunity to speak out and company will work towards an amicable resolution!!

Advice to Management

Respected Management,

I thank you for the opportunity you have provided.

Please keep the great work management team is doing.

Regards,

2. "Sounds too good to be true, but it Insurity really is that company!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture and working environment. All groups willing to share knowledge and collaborate to get things done. I'm always learning. Company/ products are constantly expanding, so there is tremendous growth opportunity. Management extremely approachable, supportive and attentive. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Not so much a con. Job can be fast-paced a times, was made aware going into it. That's why I'm here. Lots of visibility and accountability which I appreciate.

3. "Fast-paced and engaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

At roughly 750 employees, Insurity is large enough to be stable and provide excellent resources, and still small enough to create an environment where every employee can make a difference. The people are smart, engaged and always willing to help. The environment is highly collaborative and energizing.

Cons

The pace can be a little hectic at times, but it sure keeps things interesting. The company is growing very fast and it can be hard to keep up with the daily changes!

Advice to Management

Stay focused on employee engagement as the company grows. While growth is good, it can stress out the employees and spread them too thin. Keep investing in hiring the right people.

4. "Keeps me excited"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although we create Insurance software, we still have a lot of exciting projects and clients. The work is demanding, but you are allowed to do whatever you want to get it done. It is nice working for a place were you are not micro-managed

Cons

The clients are demanding and people are stretched thin. We employees sometimes get put into these situations and then have to dig ourselves out.

Advice to Management

Remind people to give bad news as soon as possible. Offer more training.

5. "Being an employee @Insurity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-No Micromanagement
    -Sense of Freedom , Peaceful environment
    -Work From Home ( "if you dont want to come in to work , you dont have it , just remote in and get your job done")
    -Job is goal Oriented , achieve your goal and you're golden.

Cons

I wish i were middle aged so i could understand the true value of all the great things this company has to offer , From benefits to flexible hours ,seeing your kids off to school then coming in to work etc etc.

6. "Awesome company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Insurity for a little over a year and half now. I started out as a BA intern and was hired straight out of college.

I was doing BA work till i realized that this may not be the right thing for me, i was struggling to meet my bosses expectations which he was open about. We decided to keep pressing forward to see if we could try some other methods of improving my skills as a BA but it wasn't working, this went on for a few months. If this was any other company I'm sure i would have been let go. but no, instead i had another meeting with my boss and we discussed changing my position.

In 1 weeks time i went from being a BA to QA analyst all thanks to the speedy actions of management and HR. There wasn't even a QA position open, they simply made one for me because again this company actually cares about its employees.

To summarize the pros:
    *flexible work hours
    *generous amount of PTOs
    *caring management
    *employee events (free food and what not)
    *good work/ life balance
    *opportunities to advance / shift throughout the company
    *challenging environment ( can be a con too)

Cons

As i said above this is a challenging job, especially for those coming right out of college and going into the work field. There is a large knowledge gap that i don't believe any college can really prepare you for, but the company did its finest to catch me up. Of course this only applies to my position as we often hire college grad developers whom have no issues transitioning into the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing, its important for employees to know where they stand and how they can improve. One of the things i liked was my boss had bi weekly meetings to have general work related discussions / performance evaluations.

Keep your open door policy, its great!

"I still have a life after work"

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours allows me to go home to my family, lots of forward thinking and talented folks, your voice matters, free hot popcorn, close to downtown Hartford for the eats, far enough from the traffic madness. awesome PTO policy after 2 years. "on the spot bonus" structure.

Cons

Retirement benefits leave something to be desired. Health benefits aren't awful, but Ive had better.

Advice to Management

Need to find a way to motivate employees who seem complacent with the "day-to-day" and old technologies.

8. "Fun company for P&C Software"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a fun company to work for. They feel like a startup in some area but they are well established. There are fun projects to work on.

Cons

There are very demanding clients and sometimes impossible deadlines

Advice to Management

Provide further training for all company roles.

9. "Awesome place to work"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Hartford, CT
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity as an intern

Pros

Great work environment
    Opportunity to move around

Cons

Could implement more technical training

"There has to be a catch..."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview process was very easy - not the types of questions asked, but the actual process from submitting a resume/application to negotiating details after the offer. HR was very responsive from day one. The overall benefit package is very good, including salary, time off, flexibility to work from home when needed (for my department anyway), health insurance and other perks.

The work is engaging and forces me to learn and grow rather than just relying on knowledge and skills already present before coming on board. If you're the type of person who wants to constantly learn - new skills and new ways of doing things - this is a great place. As others have commented, the pace can be break-neck at times, but there is certainly balance between the peaks and valleys which I think allows for a good work/life balance. There are also ample learning opportunities - formal trainings, online classes and company-sponsored events. Good place for grey matter to grow.

My co-workers, the managers and even the VPs and C-level executives are all unusually friendly and willing to answer questions, offer advice or whatever they can do to help. Beyond being friendly, I've found that people here are pretty motivated and they're good at what they do. I'd also say that the company is big enough to offer some of the benefits typically associated with large companies, but small enough to really maintain a family-like culture. (just a note, as of this writing, Glassdoor says the company is under 149 employees... I think we're close to or more than triple that now).

The company culture really amazes me. I'd really not drone on about all the "little things" beceause I'll start to sound like a paid spokesman. Sufficed to say, we get emails about new employee perks, sponsored charity events etc. on a regular basis. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cons

401(k) company match is a little weak, but there are so many other great benefits (salary being one of them), that I can overlook the average 401(k) contribution.

Location - The Hartford area is a little small if you're expecting the "big city" feel, but it is reasonably close to Boston and NYC.

This is my first time working for a software company, so I don't know if this is the norm, but I've found it very frustrating that priorities shift so rapidly. I would much prefer to work on a project from start to finish, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep lines of communication open and use them. Nobody has time for more meetings, but the occasional state-of-affairs is appreciated.