Integer Group Reviews in Des Moines, IA | Glassdoor

3.7
Integer Group CEO Mike Sweeney
Mike Sweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work/life balance was a priority (in 21 reviews)

• Great People, Great opportunities for advancement (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • They appreciate work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Can be long hours and tough clients, but that's agency work (in 19 reviews)

"A good place to work...well-worth considering!"

Former Employee - Account Planning Director in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Account Planning Director in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Integer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong executive leadership, account management, creative, media and supporting functions such as finance and operations.

Lots of awards for some great work!

A culture committed to treating people with respect, honesty and with integrity.

Being 'obvious', direct and transparent with employees is a GOOD thing...being 'less obvious' and/or less-than-transparent with employees is NOT GOOD and is merely 'passive aggressive' duplicitous behavior that does no-one any good.

Keep up the good work Integer and continue to be 'obvious' and transparent about communicating who/what you like or don't like! (and when the consensual opinion among senior management and/or clients is that a person isn't 'liked' or is chosen to be 'ignored', it's invariably for a good reason, IMO).

Some folks arrogantly believe that they can DEMAND respect (and inclusion/engagement) rather than earn it, by virtue of their title. Integer thankfully doesn't seem to endorse this POV!

In my experience, senior exec's DO listen to employees and respond to their concerns, at least when such concerns are legitimate, well-founded and not ego-driven!

There are indeed no 'secrets' at Integer Des Moines. Sub-performing , unethical and/or power-hungry back-stabbing individuals are eventually exposed and 'encouraged' to seek employment elsewhere.

A smaller-city agency with bigger-city competences. I believe it's the second-largest agency within the Integer network.

Great clients...such as Pella, Michelin, LG and HON...very much above-average, in terms of stature, working relationships and smarts!

Des Moines is a great place to live.

99.5 % of the people working there are great folks.

An agency reputation that is nationally way above-average, belying its 'smaller-city' location. And I've worked at many 'bigger-city' agencies! (location in a 'big-city' like Chicago or NYC doesn't automatically make for a great agency...that assumption is just plain arrogant...many smaller cities/towns have great agencies).

Cons

A rather diminished and weak I&S/ account planning department following the departure of the EVP/CSO and other key individuals.

In my opinion, the rather inexperienced 'de facto' I&S supervisor who tried (unsuccessfully) to fill her big shoes was not well-liked, respected, physically present enough in Des Moines or anywhere up to the task in terms of either the required strategic skill-set, I&S management experience or interpersonal/leadership/emotional intelligence skills.

Thankfully, I think he/she may now have departed...here's hoping they can soon hire a much stronger, more competent, less egocentric leader and fire again on all I&S/strategic 12-cylinders.

Advice to Management

Move quicker to remove toxic individuals from the company (the dreaded 1%).
    Individuals who are dishonest, hypocritical, egocentric, patronizing and/or passive aggressive can quickly infect the company with their toxins and undermine the core values and morals that made it such a great place to work at initially.
    Don't be so 'Iowa-nice'....show 'em the door a little quicker!
    And ignore 'em and their 'sour grapes' when they're so unprofessional as to air their grievances (including inaccurate comments about the clients who graciously paid their wages) and take cheap shots against senior management on public forums.

"Nothing but positivity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Integer Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, the people are amazing! Been here for 10 years and won't be going anywhere.

Cons

I can't think of anything I would change.

"Pockets of Positive Across The Network"

Former Employee - Account Planning in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Account Planning in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Integer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart rank and file with passion and potential; strong tool set and generous resources to win; understands the value of relationships on and off site

Cons

Management is evolving Agency culture and re-founding who they are; average reputation with average clients and no award-winning credentials or aspirations; small town office who tries to act like a big city agency

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and solve the pain points before all the good ones leave. Try not to be so obvious about who you like and include while you ignore those who you don't ever get to know or engage to grow potential. Everyone sees it. There are no secrets in a small office.

"Go to Integer Des Moines if you want to experience the slow, shrieking death of your soul"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Integer Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The architectural significance of the office building. Ironic how the best part of a place with no metaphorical life to it is the thing that's literally not alive.

Cons

A caveat to this review- I can't speak to other offices, only Des Moines, IA. Maybe Denver is great, I have no idea. But, as for Des Moines- It's a shame I can't give this place negative 5 stars. I have worked in many different agencies for over a decade, and this place was BY FAR the most painful working experience I've ever had. It's not even really an "ad agency" as far as creativity goes- it's more like a client services production house that makes retail crap (all the little stand-up pieces you see in the store with big starbursts that say "NOW 20 MORE!!!" on them). The client basically tells the "agency" exactly what it wants, down to the art and copy, and the "agency" says, "Yes sir!" There is not a creative spine in the building.

If you're working there in a non-creative capacity, then this might be the place for you. Maybe life as a PM or AE is good there. But If you're an art director or copywriter and you want to make creative advertising, run like hell as fast as you can for ANY other job. I venture to guess that working at McDonalds would probably be more creatively rewarding, because at least there you'd get to add your personal touch to each one of the burgers as you squirt the ketchup & mustard on top. There is no life, no creativity, and no future in this tomb of retail hell.

Advice to Management

Where do I begin... Scrap the whole thing and start over? Find a new career? I suppose the most succinct advice I could give to management is- figure out how you're doing what you're doing, and then do every single thing the complete opposite way.

"Great people, questionable leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Integer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people you'll ever meet
    Fun events
    Casual environment
    Open door policy for the most part
    Big clients

Cons

Leadership is out of touch
    Watch out if they're not pulling in new business
    People are promoted despite not having management skills

6. "Not Bad. Not Great"

Former Employee - Iowa in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Iowa in Des Moines, IA

Pros

PTO, coworkers, flexibility, creative atmosphere

Cons

Leadership, low wages, lots of favoritism

"Love your co-workers, but be poor doing it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Integer Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Majority of employees are very fun and creative which in-turn creates a great environment to work in.

Cons

There aren't annual raises, not even for the increases of yearly living costs.

8. "Account Management"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Integer Group (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, great city, strong client base

Cons

Shifting management, limited resources for true business innovation

Advice to Management

Provide clear vision for employees, recognize work throughout the agency and across client teams.

"Good Place to Work, but Not a Dream Job!"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great culture, flexible schedule, good management.

Cons

Tends to underpay employees, and no automatic raises per performance/inflation. Some creative projects, but most of the work was cookie cutter and uninspiring.

"Great agency and good opportunities - if you take them"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Integer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people
    - Good culture
    - Good exposure to gain knowledge across the agency/industry
    - Opportunities for career growth if you raise you hand
    - Approachable executive team

Cons

- Sometimes reactionary to client, causing difficult timelines/deliverables
    - Recent wave of high employee turnover

Advice to Management

Despite what some people have (negatively) said, it's a great place to work. Yes, there are issues from time-to-time, but overall I enjoy coming to work each day. The senior management is welcoming and receptive to feedback. The clients, though sometimes difficult, provide great opportunities to produce high-visibility creative work. The pay could be better, but I'd rather enjoy where I work everyday than be discontent with more money.