Intel Corporation Project Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "sdfnsy"

Former Contractor - Engineering Project Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Contractor - Engineering Project Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience for electronics engineer graduates who want to pursue career in telecommunications(implementation of fiber optic and copper cables in buildings and OSP). assign to different sites( central and north Luzon, ncr area)
    people here are all considered FAMILY..:)

Cons

you will be assign to remote areas

Advice to Management

keep up the good work,

"Work life balance depends upon your direct report."

Former Employee - Architect/Project Lead/Senior Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits package is very difficult to match. With a decent direct management chain it is a great company to work for. Managers are given many liberties that allow them to make it a great place to work, if they choose to do so, they can allow for great work/life balance and the freedom to innovate and create within the realm of job scope.

Cons

Under some managers, resources were limited, scope fixed, deadlines dictated, overtime mandated, and there was very little by way of creative and innovative freedom.

Intel's annual focal process demands a full bell curve making it such that not everyone can be declared successful, even if all were. Therefore it is common practice for managers to hire and keep a 'fall guy' around just so that they can meet statistical expectations. Absolute preference is given to the minority classes when it comes to hiring practices, refferal bonuses, and promotions.

After loosing a few key employees, my last manager started playing games with the focal process in order to retain employees he would dumb down job titles, suddenly you were a "Software Engineer" when previously you were a "Senior Software Engineer" and writing a minimal 1 page focal review for you, allowing for very little input, and minimizing statements of accomplishments. This made it more difficult for us to transfer within the company, he knew that other internal managers would consider these reviews when you submitted yourself for a new job so the more worthless he made you appear the less likely you were to be able to move on. When confronted on the topic, he assured me that all of Intel was now doing it this way now to save time because it was really just a way to facilitate a conversation of expectations between manager and employee. I did some checking around with friends elsewhere in the company and found this to be an absolute lie. Any and all attempts to raise these and other issues up the management chain just resulted in direct retribution from my manager, who managed to make my life even more miserable.

I once submitted an 'anonymous' ethical complaint about the very questionable practices of a colleague within the company, within 24 hours I personally heard from that individual who was herself investigating the complaint. I learned the hard way that NOTHING is anonymous within this company and every complaint counts against you regardless of how valid it may be.

Advice to Management

Your focal process encourages some very nasty dog-eat-dog politics, it only discourages collaboration with peers. Yet you claim you want to increase collaboration. Why on earth would I want to teach and help a peer succeed when I will most certainly find myself pitted against them come focal time ever year? In the end raises and promotions have very little to do with performance, they just give the boss open license to abuse. My boss taught me that he can say and do anything behind closed doors as long as it is not written. I my case he was forced to always rank me successful because he knew that if he lost me he would not be able to replace me and he personally have to take responsibility for development of the application that I lead.

3. "Intel is a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, compensation excellent, challenging

Cons

At times the job can be stressful and the workload heavy but manageable

4. "Work Hard, need to be close to the revenue stream to be appropriately rewarded for that work."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Hudson, MA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Hudson, MA

Pros

Good flexibility with benefits and balance time agains long work hours.

Cons

Advancement opportunities, reward for good performance is inadequate if role is removed from direct revenue impact.

Advice to Management

If you are running as a 24x7 "industrial\ technology revolution factory" be honest about that. Salaried engineering professionals are not best handles in the same way as hourly factory workers.

"Becoming just another large corporation"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Large corporation, reasonable stability. The sabbatical program is becoming unique at other companies, but is still part of Intel culture.

Cons

Intel expects exempt employees to be available 24X7. Manufacturing is especially bad at this. Intel used to pride itself in being different for its employees, now it's just becoming another large corporation.

Advice to Management

Do micro-benchmarking, not just overall company picture. Intel's obsession with whatever crap Microsoft is pushing is crazy. At least they decided not to go with Vista (But name a large corporation that has?) I've worked at several different high tech companies, this is unusual at Intel. I'm surrounded by "Intel lifers". They don't have any idea how other companies do things, and are unwilling to listen. It is very difficult to find out what others are doing at the company.