Intel Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Intel Corporation Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engineer"

Pros

Cutt ing edge techn ologies

Cons

W ork cu ltu re

"Product Engineer"

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Sabbatical every 7 years, 4 weeks vacation after 10 yrs.

Cons

Lots of Bad managers and HR turns a blind eye towards them even when almost 75% of people reporting to same manager move to different teams or leave the company in 1.5yrs. Zero Growth and Politics plays a major role during Focal (Absolutely no merit). They just want RCG's so that they will do what is being asked rather than question them on why it needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Get rid of those managers when people start leaving them at a rapid pace. They deserve to be fired.

Intel Corporation Response

May 30, 2017 – HR Legal - Social Media Program Mgr.

Hi - it sounds like you have a specific manager you're unhappy with - we're sorry to hear that. As you know, we want Intel to be a great place to work, so we're interested in fixing issues like the... More

3. "software engineer"

Pros

good salary free coffee
    many slack friendly people
    good environment

Cons

poor management
    no specific assignment
    sometimes no work no deadline

4. "Circling the drain"

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Boring, OR
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Boring, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have money and I want some

Cons

Stupid management. Company is a great example of why you should never take your company public.

Advice to Management

Go away.

5. "Bad management of summer internship"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Intel Corporation as an intern

Pros

Nothing to add so far

Cons

Selected as summer intern for 2017. Subsequent internal reorg. Current hiring manager won't respond to email expecting to interact with HR administrative employees. Bad experience right out the gate.

6. "Senior Applications Engineer"

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Geo difference is compensated well

Cons

base salary is low than industry

Advice to Management

Reward increase in base pay

"Company is sinking. Titanic."

Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Temporarily a stable job.

Will provide work visa if you need one.

You can get a job if you are completely fresh out of college. In fact this is precisely what Intel prefers. Intel does not like to hire experienced people, and instead prefers to hire inexperienced college grads and pay them the lowest salary the market would allow. This gives Intel the advantage of having young, single, hardworking engineers at very low salaries.

Surprisingly intelligent peers. One of the unfortunate things is that smart engineers graduating from top schools in the country think that Intel is a great company. Intel has a great legacy to talk about. It has a rich legacy and a great history of amazing products and innovation. But that era is long past. Intel is now a middle-aged (it is almost exactly 50 years old now) obese company with a totally crazy CEO. The era of Intel's greatness is over now. Unfortunately, students graduating from universities don't know this. They learn about what amazing things Intel did almost 15 years ago and are awe-struck, and they want to join!

Practically the only major company with a large fab. So if you want a job in the fab, this is one of the companies you could consider. But as such jobs in the fabs are on a slow decline. Remember, automation is key in everything. And Intel's 10nm, 7nm, and 5nm are not really as far ahead of the competition as they claim. In fact the thing Intel senior staff has repeatedly ignored is that time to silicon is as important - if not more - as silicon manufacturing readiness.

Cons

Intel is a slowly dying company. And jobs there are about as stable as the temperature of water in a kettle that is on a low flame. So when you join you will not know at all that the company is dying, but it is slowly dying.

Poor salaries. Actually the "highly paid" Principal Engineers are abysmally paid according to industry standards. Intel HR compares salaries with other companies of "similar nature", but Intel has to grow up and learn that employees do not use that criterion when deciding whether to stay.

Intel does NOT reward additional industry experience or knowledge with appropriate salary difference against fresh graduates. As a result, your salary will NOT be ANY higher than a fresh graduate with zero industry experience, even if you have prior experience in industry.

Stagnant salaries. In fact this is the #1 indicator of a slowly dying company. The smartest of their engineers could get a salary increment of less than $2000 additional, year on year. Their best performing engineers do not get the best salary increments. If you want a good salary increment you better hope that you are some sort of a manager. Intel rewards ONLY, and ONLY managers. In fact, the only individual contributors that might be rewarded are Program Managers.

Practically the only main job growth avenue is to become some sort of a Program Manager or become the supervisor for your team. Yes, Intel does have a technical track for growth. And yes, there are divisions where tech ladder is a serious job growth avenue. But the VAST MAJORITY of Intel jobs can advance to the next level as ONLY a sort of Program Manager (or someone "driving" something tracking its schedule) or at best as the supervisor in your team - a minor promotion. But remember you became a manager ONLY because your boss became a second-level manager. And now there may be additional levels between you and the chain of command. In my view, job growth should be measured in terms of your sphere of influence - how wide is the circle of people you influence. What you'll realize is that while you may technically influence a very large number of people, you will probably never get rewarded for that. And even if your managerial sphere of influence is moderately improved, remember that Intel is an ocean of very smart people, all wanting to grow just like you.

Be ready to be unsatisfied with the salary for years. Your manager will keep showing you a carrot of phenomenal job growth out in the future "if you do this one thing". But that doesn't really matter. They've decided to pay you what they plan to. This carrot is only a fake. When it comes time to actually give the increment you deserve "low budget", "lack of funds" etc., are commonly heard. Intel has the most unscrupulous and the most unfair and dishonest managers of all in the entire industry.

Please be forewarned.

Advice to Management

Huh! As if they care what advice you have for them!

8. "Toxic environment"

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Folsom, CA
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Folsom, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was paid market rate for the term of my contract.

Cons

Probably the most unpleasant experience of my long career as a tech consultant. Contractors are called "contingency workers." They comprise nearly half of Intel's workforce, and are treated like second-class citizens. One contractor I was working with couldn't take it anymore and just walked off the job. Didn't say goodbye to anyone, including her hiring manager. I was later informed that this was not an isolated incident.

This is also a high-stress, toxic environment for staff employees as well. The threat of layoffs always looms large, and as a result, much time and energy is expended ensuring you've covered your rear-end. The lack of job security keeps people on edge, and often manifests itself as a hostile environment.

Advice to Management

Intel reminds me of IBM in the late-eighties, just before it imploded and laid off approximately 100,000 employees. Like IBM, Intel is a lumbering dinosaur unable to keep up with accelerating markets. When the inevitable downsizing occurs, pray you find a Lou Gerstner equivalent with a view toward re-invention and long-term sustainability.

"Intel overall not a good experience -"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big Company
    Gain experience across a complex organization

Cons

Brutal ranking/rating system
    Politics
    Long hours
    Sick days hardly taken because of stress of task completion
    Glad i found another opportunity.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your people and reduce office politics.
    Create environment for less stress in office and encourage sick days

10. "Warning for PTD Engineers"

Pros

Some good managers but fewer compared to the poor managers.

Cons

Tons of poor behavior in the work place. This is apparently the norm for PTD culture.

Advice to Management

This review is exclusive to Intel PTD engineers as I’ve heard other areas of Intel provide a better work-life balance. There can be a wide variation in work-life balance for the various engineering positions within PTD. The two areas with the greatest turnover -- etch and lithography -- go through engineers quite quickly as I feel both areas can have positions with very unreasonable demands and expectations that aren’t clearly given. The biggest problems, I feel, are with the management above the engineers. There are some great managers in PTD, but they’re fewer than the bad ones. During my time at Intel I observed a ton of utter nonsense and poor workplace behaviors such as hitting, yelling/attacking, blaming, bullying, and many more.

This is, apparently, what PTD is notorious for and I heard Intel has decided to have PTD run this way. For people accepting engineering positions from graduate school, I realize this might be your only offer. Please communicate with HR and Intel Bluehire or with older technicians to get perspective on what it’s like to work there. I would also encourage calling out any foul behavior as change within the organization can only come from the people working there.

Intel Corporation Response

Apr 3, 2017 – HR Legal - Social Media Program Mgr.

Hi - It sounds like you had a bad experience with PTD management. We're so sorry to hear about it here. As you know, Intel wants our workplace to be a great place to work for us all. Please send any... More

Showing 367 of 9,972 reviews