KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Intellectual Ventures Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2022

Found 169 of over 186 reviews

3.8
Intellectual Ventures Founder and Chief Executive Officer Nathan Myhrvold (no image)
Nathan Myhrvold

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Awesome people

Apr 25, 2022 - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very diverse business units, from technology, to publishing, to start-up incubator. Everyone was very smart, professional, respectful.

Cons

Lack of information flow based on 'need-to-know' mentality.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Avoid at all costs

Sep 11, 2022 - Senior Management in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of really smart people have come and gone.

Cons

CPO is a very broken person. She is despised by all and runs her own agenda. The primary Founder has no clue as he is all IQ and no EQ whatsoever. Many people have worked hard to only be taken out by her petty politics.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Could be better, not for everyone.

Sep 10, 2021 - Administrative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, training provided to advance skill set if applicable to role. Descent pay. Interesting work. Free food.

Cons

Management tends to struggle with old school mentalities. Occasional unnecessary politics. Focus is individual based instead group based. Lack of: integrity, teamwork, passion for mission. Being ok with the status quo. Inefficient operational structure > resulting in wasted time and money that no one seems to care about because it's not their money right. Occasional sexual harassment and discrimination. Lack of integrity.

2 people found this review helpful

Intellectual Ventures Response

Recruiting Director & HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Change is constant, in work and in life, and the leadership team is always interested to hear the various experiences people have had at IV so we can support change and growth for the best. IV isn’t for everyone, and yes, our culture is quirky and sometimes nerdy for sure, but it’s never tolerant of sexual harassment or discrimination. We take all concerns relative to harassment and discrimination very seriously and invite you to connect directly with IV’s Chief People Officer, Nicole Grogan (ngrogan@intven.com). You may also anonymously report your concerns using this link - https://www.lighthouse-services.com/_StandardCustomURL/LHILandingPage.asp.

4. 4.0

Takes care of employees

Feb 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great compensation packages with long term incentives

Cons

Pretty regular lay off cycles

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Something New Every Day

Jul 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

After working at large companies for most of my career, I assumed my small company experience would quickly leave me bord. Several years later, I remain grateful for the challenging work that I get to do with the most interesting people. I continue to learn new things almost every day. I appreciate the support that IV and HR has provided during the past year. Listening sessions, mindfulness workshops and mentoring have been great. And, there is support for hybrid work schedules for most roles when we return to the office.

Cons

If you don't like some level of ambiguity, this may not be the place for you.

6. 2.0

a mixed bag

Jan 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

work for bill gates was inspiring

Cons

too much emphasis was placed on coming up with a good story rather than actually getting results. from an organizational standpoint definitely in a teenage stage. management was often poor and lots of petty politics went on. peer review was almost non existent and resulted in some questionable projects

7. 5.0

Great Experience!

Aug 23, 2021 - Human Resources
    Business Outlook

Pros

My manager, and the HR leadership team, was amazingly supportive of my career goals. They thoughtfully worked to provide opportunities to grow my skills. Additionally, they could not have been kinder or more caring, especially during the pandemic. Great experience and great HR team!

Cons

I agree that there can be ambiguity in some roles. I work well with ambiguity, but I realize not everyone does. Consider if you work best with a lot of clarity and direction or if you are more successful in an ambiguous environment.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Enjoyed My Time

Dec 13, 2021 - Litigation Paralegal in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed my time. Inclusive company.

Cons

Not sure about the direction of the company.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great people, fascinating work

Sep 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

IV is constantly innovating in many areas of technology. The breadth and depth of talent provides unlimited opportunities to learn and grow, and the work is never boring.

Cons

Creating and innovating is rarely done quickly, or right the first time, so an appetite for some ambiguity is required. This type of work can be challenging, which makes for rewarding experiences.

10. 2.0

Poor management

Jan 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting projects and great people

Cons

Complete disconnect between management and employees. Promotion is buddy-based. Laid off most of the working stuff only to re-org and open the exact same positions.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 169 Reviews

Intellectual Ventures Reviews FAQs

Intellectual Ventures has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 186 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Intellectual Ventures to a friend and 41% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Intellectual Ventures employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Intellectual Ventures. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

67% of Intellectual Ventures employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Intellectual Ventures 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Intellectual Ventures to be benefits, career development, coworkers and the cons to be management, culture, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Intellectual Ventures Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Intellectual Ventures? Share Your Experiences

Reviews by Job Title

Intellectual Ventures Photos

+ Add Photo
Intellectual Ventures photo of: Congrats to our 2019 Impact Award honorees! Whether achieving scientific breakthroughs or working behind the scenes on vital company functions, they move IV forward.
Intellectual Ventures photo of: IV intern Enrique Saldarriaga has been working on an analysis for vaccine-tracking tech and a cost-effectiveness analysis of a new microarray delivery system for antiviral therapy drugs.
Intellectual Ventures photo of: Meet IV intern Priscilla Delgado, who joins us from the University of Washington and is working with the Flow-based Diagnostics group to create phase-changing, fluorescently tagged hydrogel particles.
Intellectual Ventures photo of: IV intern William Trouleau, who joins us from his doctoral program in machine learning, is working on a project to map tuberculosis at a fine-grained level in Pakistan.
Intellectual Ventures photo of: Harrison Goldwyn, who joins us from his doctoral program in physical chemistry at the University of Washington and is working on two projects with the Institute for Disease Modeling.
Intellectual Ventures photo of: Meet Michelle Macartney, Director and IP attorney who works to guide patent applications through the US Patent Office!
Intellectual Ventures photo of: IV intern Mattie Quigley is working on a Global Good project to understand how adapting crop-drying technologies might be helpful for farmers across Africa.

Expert Career Advice