Intellectual Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Nathan Myhrvold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • IV compensates fairly, work / life balance is appropriate and benefits are competitive (in 13 reviews)

• You get to work with really smart people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is in a down spiral mostly because it could not address major changes in patent legislation which severely affected its business model (in 15 reviews)

• Career path after intellectual ventures is very niche (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture, really interesting work, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My management chain assumes competence in my abilities, supports my decisions, work style & schedule. I am not micromanaged and I really appreciate the freedom I have to execute my responsibilities in a way that I feel will work best. I joined a women's mentoring circle in my first month and had the opportunity to get to know women from across IV in all levels of management (VP to associates)-from R&D, Legal, Finance, HR etc. That ongoing and supportive group helped my onboarding process immensely. I love attending the frequent employee info sharing sessions where I can learn about some of the different research and inventions as well. Last week I attended a great session where I learned about the device the Lab is developing which rapid diagnoses cervical cancer in low resource settings and later that day I was in the Lab talking to interns working on assays that rapid diagnose malaria. There's work happening at IV that can really impact lives-1st world and developing world. I love that they take big risks (like TerraPower) that have huge potential impacts across entire sectors. I've worked in the high tech industry (MSFT) for most of my career and IV feels nimble, exciting, stable, quirky and impactful.

Cons

When you work in a smaller company where you have many personal relationships, there are upsides and downsides. Having those relationships can help make things happen but it can sometimes hinder progress as well.

Advice to Management

There seems to be more recent efforts to publicize what type of innovation is coming out of IV. Continue to show the world what we are doing. Encourage internal career opportunities and advancement.

2. "Great company to work for!"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management saw the hard work and provided opportunities to move up.

Cons

I do not think of any Cons. The reason for leaving the company was outside environment change such as commute.

3. "Review"

Pros

Pay, benefits, and generous PTO

Cons

Competitive culture not supportive of team work, little autonomy, and micromanaging leaders

4. "Innovative Company, Poor Communication"

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time

Pros

Great pay, comparable benefits, learning opportunities, unique business

Cons

Upper management detached from workforce, political wrangling and jockeying taking precedence over teamwork, unclear direction, not in tune to employee needs, hard place to work with conflicting goals, poor communication, number of layoffs, shifting of business focus

Advice to Management

More transparency, establish a more positive work environment that rewards or supports employees in ways other than compensation to build stability

"Very Unusual Company - now going through a major redirection"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart employees, very experienced and at the top of their professions. Only hires people with major accomplishments and previous achievements. a combination of patent lawyers and engineers, all must be with MSc or PhD / JD degrees.

Cons

Advice to Management

Present a long term vision and direction to employees & investors, especially about the future of its funds operations

6. "Pretty good"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, flexible culture if you work at the lab. Lots of free food and events put on by the administrative staff. Smart people and well funded.

Cons

If you work in a corporate function and sit at the corporate offices it's rigid and uncertain. Lots of layoffs and uncertainty in bonus payouts

"Think Twice. There's a reason they pay more."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people. For the most part, the co-workers are great and you're all in the same boat. Global Good and IV Lab are interesting and different. Stands out from other business models because they integrate science, business and invention at the lab.

Cons

Founder can be unreasonable, Old-Microsoft environment which can be toxic and extremely inappropriate. Work in silos. Feedback not wanted or accepted.

Advice to Management

Think of your employees as team members. Appreciate them and harness their ideas and energy. HR is not really employee friendly, panders to the founder/s. and is not really working in your best interest. There's a reason the company has such a high turnover rate.

Intellectual Ventures Response

Dec 1, 2017 – Sr HR Business Partner

At Intellectual Ventures, we respect each person’s individual experience and value feedback from our current/former employees, contractors and interns. We generally don’t respond to reviews but... More

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First rate company that treats their employees well.

Cons

None, except that my time there was too short.

9. "perspective from a scientist"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The funding and access to resources is good. The problems are meaningful. The people are smart.

Cons

The bureaucracy is rough and heavy, and the overhead for a scientist is larger than anyone would like. Not much growth ability within the company.

Advice to Management

Take barriers away from scientists instead of adding to their overhead. Enable, don't encumber. Allow employees to grow.

"Worst experience"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time

Pros

Benefits and that's about it.

Cons

My whole time at IV was horrible. My manager encouraged an open relationship and seemed to be encouraging in the pace I was learning. They give you a 6 month time frame to completely understand and ace things and get into a routine but she gave me 3 months and continuously told me that I was incapable and complained about making mistakes.

Advice to Management

Nicer staff and do more reviews on employees