Intellectual Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 10, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Nathan Myhrvold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • IV compensates fairly, work / life balance is appropriate and benefits are competitive (in 13 reviews)

• The company is full of really, really smart people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is in a down spiral mostly because it could not address major changes in patent legislation which severely affected its business model (in 15 reviews)

• Career path after intellectual ventures is very niche (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture, really interesting work, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My management chain assumes competence in my abilities, supports my decisions, work style & schedule. I am not micromanaged and I really appreciate the freedom I have to execute my responsibilities in a way that I feel will work best. I joined a women's mentoring circle in my first month and had the opportunity to get to know women from across IV in all levels of management (VP to associates)-from R&D, Legal, Finance, HR etc. That ongoing and supportive group helped my onboarding process immensely. I love attending the frequent employee info sharing sessions where I can learn about some of the different research and inventions as well. Last week I attended a great session where I learned about the device the Lab is developing which rapid diagnoses cervical cancer in low resource settings and later that day I was in the Lab talking to interns working on assays that rapid diagnose malaria. There's work happening at IV that can really impact lives-1st world and developing world. I love that they take big risks (like TerraPower) that have huge potential impacts across entire sectors. I've worked in the high tech industry (MSFT) for most of my career and IV feels nimble, exciting, stable, quirky and impactful.

Cons

When you work in a smaller company where you have many personal relationships, there are upsides and downsides. Having those relationships can help make things happen but it can sometimes hinder progress as well.

Advice to Management

There seems to be more recent efforts to publicize what type of innovation is coming out of IV. Continue to show the world what we are doing. Encourage internal career opportunities and advancement.

"A great place - growing, but keeping it together."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The environment is very team oriented. Everyone is encouraged (and does) share information willingly, and looks to see their peers and leadership succeed. Typically a very positive environment.

Cons

Project preplanning is not always there - new projects come up at the last minute, and are needed right away.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and remember the people helping to build the company. Good leadership is crucial, but people to follow the leaders are required. The happier they are, the happier the company is.

3. "Challenging, Smart, leading"

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, interesting problems, leading edge company tackling issues in invention and innovation; very entrepreneurial, with support to try new things; above average compensation

Cons

see above - the downside of that is that decision making tends to be distributed, silos are created and exist throughout, people can be arrogant, and there can be a lot of pressure; if this environment is not for you, then you will find it stressful

Advice to Management

Decide on a few key principles and stick to those - and communicate
    Decide how decisions will be made and stick to that - and communicate
    Communicate

"Been here 5 years, growing pains have lead to improvements in leadership"

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, compensation, location, new leadership in the last couple of years, I get to work on a lot of different things, and I feel supported and appreciated by the new IT leadership. Lots of clubs, HR has good employee focused programs, peer lead technical training, and the people support and help each other.

Cons

STG (IT) went through a really difficult period due to poor leadership but that changed at the beginning of 2012. Some people still get stuck in the old defensive mindset and need to be shaken out of apathy. Makes getting things done take longer. Recent layoffs due to growing too quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to turn success into a process and just support what works.

"Excellent place to workplace"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, exciting environment, great team. Everyone is working to change the world together. It has been fun to watch this company grow.

Cons

If you are too specialized, this environment will be challenging. It is a smaller company so many people wear more than one hat.

Advice to Management

Keep improving

6. "Great place to work, fun people"

Pros

Great people and environment

Cons

Can't think of any Cons at this time

"I believe!"

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IV is fighting for the rights of inventors. It may not always get everything right, but IP and Inventions are important for the economy and IV is making a real difference.

Cons

It is sometimes tough to be around so many smart people and when the media tells it, it sounds horrible. But read beyond the hype and see the great things that IV does. It is not just about law suits but if we don't defend these rights, they are at risk and that hurts innovation.

Advice to Management

You have great leaders. Unleash and utilize them!

"Smart People, Great Environment"

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel that the finance department has clear goals. We are given the necessary resources and freedom to work toward those goals. We are a very collaborative group who willingly solve problems together. Our executive leadership is transparent to the extent they are able regarding expectations, performance, achievements, failures and future aspirations.
    We are always looking at long term solutions that all groups can integrate with. We are a dynamic business with complex business practices. This keeps things interesting and exciting, especially when a finance job typically becomes stale and boring. IV compensates fairly, work / life balance is appropriate and benefits are competitive.

Cons

People outside of IV seem to form opinions of our business model quickly. I remind those that we are in the business of world changing innovation. If we do not protect our inventors ideas, then we are at risk of losing some of the most brilliant, innovative people in the world.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of talented, intelligent and seasoned employees who operate effectively in a complex organization. I believe the finance department operates very lean and extremely efficient. Maybe consider an award system to better align with the long term view of the business model. This could eliminate the risk of losing high performers during the periods where the pendulum is swinging the wrong way.

9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First rate company that treats their employees well.

Cons

None, except that my time there was too short.

10. "Great company to work for!"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management saw the hard work and provided opportunities to move up.

Cons

I do not think of any Cons. The reason for leaving the company was outside environment change such as commute.