Intellectual Ventures Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Nathan Myhrvold

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • IV compensates fairly, work / life balance is appropriate and benefits are competitive (in 13 reviews)

• The company is full of really, really smart people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Career path after intellectual ventures is very niche (in 4 reviews)

• My whole time at IV was horrible (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture, really interesting work, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My management chain assumes competence in my abilities, supports my decisions, work style & schedule. I am not micromanaged and I really appreciate the freedom I have to execute my responsibilities in a way that I feel will work best. I joined a women's mentoring circle in my first month and had the opportunity to get to know women from across IV in all levels of management (VP to associates)-from R&D, Legal, Finance, HR etc. That ongoing and supportive group helped my onboarding process immensely. I love attending the frequent employee info sharing sessions where I can learn about some of the different research and inventions as well. Last week I attended a great session where I learned about the device the Lab is developing which rapid diagnoses cervical cancer in low resource settings and later that day I was in the Lab talking to interns working on assays that rapid diagnose malaria. There's work happening at IV that can really impact lives-1st world and developing world. I love that they take big risks (like TerraPower) that have huge potential impacts across entire sectors. I've worked in the high tech industry (MSFT) for most of my career and IV feels nimble, exciting, stable, quirky and impactful.

Cons

When you work in a smaller company where you have many personal relationships, there are upsides and downsides. Having those relationships can help make things happen but it can sometimes hinder progress as well.

Advice to Management

There seems to be more recent efforts to publicize what type of innovation is coming out of IV. Continue to show the world what we are doing. Encourage internal career opportunities and advancement.

2. "Think Twice. There's a reason they pay more."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people. For the most part, the co-workers are great and you're all in the same boat. Global Good and IV Lab are interesting and different. Stands out from other business models because they integrate science, business and invention at the lab.

Cons

Founder can be unreasonable, Old-Microsoft environment which can be toxic and extremely inappropriate. Work in silos. Feedback not wanted or accepted.

Advice to Management

Think of your employees as team members. Appreciate them and harness their ideas and energy. HR is not really employee friendly, panders to the founder/s. and is not really working in your best interest. There's a reason the company has such a high turnover rate.

Intellectual Ventures Response

Dec 1, 2017 – Sr HR Business Partner

At Intellectual Ventures, we respect each person’s individual experience and value feedback from our current/former employees, contractors and interns. We generally don’t respond to reviews but... More

3. "Pretty good"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, flexible culture if you work at the lab. Lots of free food and events put on by the administrative staff. Smart people and well funded.

Cons

If you work in a corporate function and sit at the corporate offices it's rigid and uncertain. Lots of layoffs and uncertainty in bonus payouts

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Reverse Engineering Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First rate company that treats their employees well.

Cons

None, except that my time there was too short.

5. "perspective from a scientist"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The funding and access to resources is good. The problems are meaningful. The people are smart.

Cons

The bureaucracy is rough and heavy, and the overhead for a scientist is larger than anyone would like. Not much growth ability within the company.

Advice to Management

Take barriers away from scientists instead of adding to their overhead. Enable, don't encumber. Allow employees to grow.

"Worst experience"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time

Pros

Benefits and that's about it.

Cons

My whole time at IV was horrible. My manager encouraged an open relationship and seemed to be encouraging in the pace I was learning. They give you a 6 month time frame to completely understand and ace things and get into a routine but she gave me 3 months and continuously told me that I was incapable and complained about making mistakes.

Advice to Management

Nicer staff and do more reviews on employees

"The gig is up - CEO is more interested in writing cookbooks than running a company"

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, and the compensation tends to be on the high end of the market.

Cons

The original model that IV was built on was innovative and interesting. However, the execution failed miserably. Many of the decisions in upper management had a significant (negative) effect on the ever changing monetization strategies, including fueling the general negative perception of "patent trolls". Many of the past investors decided not to reinvest in subsequent funds due to the poor return on investment, and IV has become a pariah in the technology industry. Furthermore - with the fund drying up, and founders no longer collecting big management fees, they have lost interest in the company, and are pursuing other interests - like writing cookbooks. At this point, the company is a ship with no captain in stormy waters. Most recently, it was announced that the COO, CFO and General Counsel are leaving IV - which is always a sign of a company in the midst of implosion. In short - prospective employees beware.

Intellectual Ventures Response

Jul 18, 2017

Hi—We believe it is important that all current/former employees, contractors and interns have the opportunity to freely express their opinions about their experience at Intellectual Ventures and as... More

"IV"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very smart and nice people, but sadly humanity seems to reduce as you go up the chain. You almost feel a part of cool stuff happening - but unfortunately <10% of the company is doing "cool" stuff, the rest feels like overhead. There's free snacks and parking.

Cons

- Lack of vision, leadership, transparency, and accountability
    - Executives tend to create echo chambers and self preservation bubbles whilst squandering time and money into self rewarding fiefdoms at the detriment of regular workers
    - Crippling politics is more important than doing the right thing and accomplishing tasks
    - Lack of meaningful career advancement, whilst executives tend to move about, promote and re-land without issue
    - Depression and fatigue are common

Advice to Management

Care about your people and cut b.s. if you want to succeed. More employees than you would expect can see through it, don't you think investors and partners may possess the same ability? That's not good, no?

Practice what is preached. Honest performances will generate more collaboration, respect, and results than duplicitous behavior.

"One of the most innovative companies"

Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great innovative environment, lot of lateral thinking and freedom to pursue your ideas, great interaction with external inventors and exposure to latest technologies ranging from biology to space science

Cons

Career path after intellectual ventures is very niche.

10. "Smart people"

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures part-time

Pros

Everyone here is really, really smart. They will get what you're saying and take it to the next level fast.

Cons

Everyone here is really, really smart. They will expect you to function at that level at all times and can be withering if you don't.