Intelligent Software Solutions Reviews in Colorado Springs, CO | Glassdoor

Colorado Springs, CO Area

3.3
Jay Jesse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, treated as a person and not a number, great work environment, room to grow (in 13 reviews)

• Easy job, relaxed work environment, Excellent co-workers (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Good 'ol boy system when it comes to promotions and who's in charge, too much politics, and upper management not equipped to make most decisions (in 3 reviews)

• Buddy system company that will jettison its better people callously at the first sign of a funding issue (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Intern in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Intern in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

They really care about my education and try to teach me something new everyday. They are very laid back but very great to work with. My bosses know a lot about the industry and have taught me a ton.

Cons

I can't really think of any. Communication could use a little bit of work but not anything to worry about.

Advice to Management

Work on delegation a bit better and inform your lessors more about advancement. Also work on communication with other departments and employees more.

2. "Cowboy culture kills real innovation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing I can say about this company is that they hire smart people. There are some of the smartest software developers I've ever worked with here. Pay is average for this area.

Cons

They encourage cowboys and divas. Women are often discriminated against openly. With over 20 directors, not a single one was a woman or person of color. The encourage a "yes man" environment, where groupthink is prevalent and encouraged.

Advice to Management

Don't keep people around just because you play volleyball with them. Find a real CFO.

"Favoritism and Cronyism"

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working overseas had great Program Managers and Supervisors. The small core of folks who worked in Bagram were very good.

Cons

Management hired a bunch of friends and former co-workers from other jobs. These folks were highly unqualified and unprofessional. One manager in particular who claims he was a pilot in the U.S. Air Force was so verbally abusive and overbearing, I almost filed a formal complaint with HR and the State of Colorado. The place was full of absolute buddy system and gangs of friends, you could never get any changes to the product because of these people.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your buddies and former friends. They are doing nothing for your company except keeping the chance for positive change from ever happening.

4. "Review"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High talent employees that get the job done, no BS.

Cons

Communication, DoD contracting is not always fun.

5. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Pay is competitive and what you negotiate. I always received an annual raise and bonus. People are mostly great.

Cons

In many parts of the organization it still feels like the military. Whatever rank you left the military at determines how high you can move in the company. I was told this directly by my boss. Until 2013 they didn't have a single person responsible for sales, too little too late for that. Company has significantly shrunk since I left, from what I have heard. Now there are a lot of smaller contracts and a lot of people are constantly bouncing around in the company from what I have heard.

Advice to Management

Focus on sound business principles. Get seasoned business leaders, not just ex-military types running things.

6. "Good COmpany"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

great people, great work, great opportunity

Cons

managers learning to be managers.

7. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Field Support Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, challenging dynamics between the software and customer needs. Easy to get along with everyone

Cons

Staying plugged into the technology while deployed is difficult. Constant restructuring of roles and responsibilities makes it difficult to move up.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Cultivate the skills and reward the people. Sometimes the best ideas are held at the lowest echelons.

8. "Trainer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, with honest and competent employees who understand their jobs and are willing to work harder to produce something better. Good pay, great benefits, and support.

Cons

It was not clear that the company was willing to make big investments in products that were doing the job well-enough, but just so, and highly vulnerable to any emergent competitor. Management was good, and often excellent, but not universally so. It was only one time, but I was surprised to see the company playing out two enormous strategic blunders that could never have happened if all the hands were talking to one another.

Advice to Management

Recognize that the "little guys" in the field know the most intimately what works, what doesn't work, what is needed, and why. Be prepared to listen seriously. (At field levels of management, this was not a problem.)

Understand that you can't just plug in an unprepared engineer for field jobs that only trainers and requirements guys are ready to do. You can't throw some poor guy who writes code all day in CO into a position where he has to explain to tactical and operational leaders how an ISS system fits into the array of systems in front of them, or what's working and not working in theater, or the problems they can expect/solutions they can prepare, or to help them sort out the confusion of truth & falsehoods descending upon them through the endless stream of disparate contractors. (This was not usually a problem. I saw this happen only in one location--but, a very important location, unfortunately.)

9. "Great place with the right team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Still one of the best benefit packages in Colorado Springs. Many good engineers and team leads.

Cons

Management can be haphazard and inexperienced, but they are well intentioned and when on the right team, you can get traction on good projects.

Advice to Management

Actually, management has their work cut out for them due to the customer. Promoting team building activities aside from the Hackathon would be nice to encourage morale.

10. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work environment

Cons

Dependent on Federal DoD work.